The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile Power for Tablet  (Read 6419 times)
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2017, 06:46:38 AM »

That too, John!

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 05:13:15 PM »

Is it one of those funky Dell smart chargers?
  More then 5V ....Do a Google search.
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2017, 06:02:47 PM »

May I suggest: Go to Amazon or similar and look for a "USB power meter". For $10 you get a USB stick that displays the actual voltage coming out of a USB port, and the current that your device is drawing. (These gizmo's sit in the middle.)

USB 1 & 2, which is still "plain" USB, are only required to put out 500mA. IIRC USB3 is still only supposed to put out 1.5A, and you need USB-C to put out 3A. There's another standard for USB high power chargers...all at the USB web site.

Funny thing though, my tablet and phone both can be hungry. But even at 25% battery level, they will hardly pull more than 500mA from any charger! Despite being shipped with 1.5A chargers. I know, some chargers and devices "signal" each other and control the power levels...but it would be a good start to spend $10 on a little gadget that can tell you just how much power your tablet is getting from the charger. From there you can try to see if the tablet EVER draws higher power, from any source. Dell has been known to go there own way on some things.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 06:47:12 AM »

1.5 amps is more than enough for a tablet. Tablets typically draw a average power of 4 to 5 watts to provide good battery life.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KC2MMI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2017, 03:21:11 PM »

LiOn batteries can have issues near freezing. Hopefully the display will not be damaged, the way old b&w LCD displays used to burst when frozen. But an internal charge controller, which is actively controlling battery charging based on battery temperature, certainly might shut itself down below freezing. You'd probably have to take hostages to get a straight answer from the maker on that.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 04:55:34 PM »

LiOn batteries can have issues near freezing.

If this was a issue there would be no electric cars and many electronic devices would not be possible. The batteries in our Volt are heated when they are in use but not when idle and unplugged even in sub zero weather.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
NZ4ZN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 04:22:44 AM »

I have not seen this. I have not needed a name brand charge for faster charge. Hia bottle neck is USB 2 port on rigblaster which will only do about 500 mah.
I had not either until getting a new Verizon wireless modem. It uses a micro USB connection just like my phone, USB batteries and the half dozen chargers I have sitting around, but only trickle charges unless it is charged with the wall wart that came with it. When plugged in to another supply, even my RigRunner 4004U, it provides a message on the screen stating that "for faster charging, use the OEM charger...".
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: