The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Android 6 question  (Read 3528 times)
N4DBC

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2017, 11:02:55 AM »

Please bear with me as this is not exactly a Ham related question, but I can't find an answer and thought that someone might be willing to help.
- I bought my daughter a Samsung tablet with Android 6 operating system. I set up a restricted user for her (using a free app), as she has autism and fixates on youtube videos (which I don't want her to do). Everything was fine until she figured out how to log into the 'guest' user and thereby get around the restricted user. (yes, we limit her time, but she goes straight to youtube if we're not watching).
- I have been looking for a way to delete or disable the guest user on this device and can't seem to find an answer, other than possibly using an app to "root the OS" and use a lower level command line or loading a "clean" version to accomplish it. I would rather not void the warranty if possible, and I've read that 'rooting' will void it.
- I tried to use an app to restrict the guest user, but she has figured out how to 'clear' the guest user settings (which isn't hard to do), and she's right back to youtube. Also, the 'free app' that I'm using only allows for 1 or 2 users, which I've already used (1 on the family PC/Windows, 1 on the Android restricted user).
- My family has limited financial resources, so I 'resist' paying for apps that have recurring fees.
- I'm about ready to take away the tablet, but as you might imagine that would cause other problems.
- I know that there are people who subscribe to eHam who likely have a solution to my problem. If not directly, perhaps someone knows of a resource (internet site, software/app, etc.) that could be helpful. If making a "root" directory is the only way to do it, I need to know the best way to do it (there are different apps for that).
- Please do not 'flame' me for asking this sort of question on a Ham-related site, I'm just trying to help my daughter and don't need reprimands which would be meaningless anyway. -
* 73 - Dave N4DBC
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 11:05:04 AM by N4DBC » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 11:44:44 AM »

Well this is a brute force approach but you can delete apps you do not want her to use and remove your google user account from it and that will prevent access to play store it reinstall apps. I would also change password for that google account so she cannot use it again if she knows it. If you got her a Windows tablet you could have a lot more control over her access to apps by design with a restricted account and disabled guest account and you only having admin privileges without needing a third party app. Android is evolving but does not natively support what you want yet.   

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N4DBC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 05:16:11 PM »

W8JX
Well this is a brute force approach but you can delete apps you do not want her to use and remove your google user account from it and that will prevent access to play store it reinstall apps. I would also change password for that google account so she cannot use it again if she knows it. If you got her a Windows tablet you could have a lot more control over her access to apps by design with a restricted account and disabled guest account and you only having admin privileges without needing a third party app. Android is evolving but does not natively support what you want yet.   
-
-W8JX- The "guest" user is a part of the Android OS, not google apps (google apps/password irrelevant). I only mentioned google because they seem to 'control the android universe'. Also, even if I try to delete google apps (or deactivate), it is 'built-into' the OS in such a way that it 'resurrects' itself when the OS updates (all of the Samsung & Google apps do this on the OE OS). Thanks for replying.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 05:34:36 PM »

W8JX
-
-W8JX- The "guest" user is a part of the Android OS, not google apps (google apps/password irrelevant). I only mentioned google because they seem to 'control the android universe'. Also, even if I try to delete google apps (or deactivate), it is 'built-into' the OS in such a way that it 'resurrects' itself when the OS updates (all of the Samsung & Google apps do this on the OE OS). Thanks for replying.

I know about guest access in 6 but you want to restrict access what you seek is not native to Android. Android has limited function without a registered google account which is why I suggested that.  In Windows you can set up limited accounts and what they can access. Also if you want to get sneaky you can block access to You Tube in router. I did that with kids when they were younger for a few sites. (it will usually just say site not found when they try to access it) You can also look at router logs to see what you want to maybe block

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 05:36:22 PM »

Have you looked into limiting her access by putting restrictions in your firewall/router?

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
W1GVT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 03:27:10 AM »

Exactly. Anything you do to the stock OS may be undone during an update. It would be easier to restrict the tablet using its MAC address on the router. Most consumer routers can also set time restrictions for accessing the Internet and some even have "parental controls" or other filters built-in.
KE4OH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2017, 06:22:30 AM »

Agree with the other posters - The most foolproof fix is to limit access via your wifi router. It can be an outright ban or it can be limited to certain days/hours.

73 de Steve KE4OH
K6ACF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 08:29:58 AM »

Good luck and let us know if the router restriction works.  I have an autistic son and he is a whiz with technology.  Like you, we try to lock things down as much as we can and stay a step ahead of him.

Tim K6ACF
N4DBC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 06:55:35 PM »

I was able to find a sort of a restriction for streaming traffic in my ASUS RT-AC56R router that is specific to my daughter's tablet. It has stopped her access to youtube streaming for the time being, but it also limits my access if I'm trying to do use it. (which is seldom, and OK until I can do something better).
-- There is a way to disable the guest account within Android 5, which requires root access and some free software to change a database setting. I may try to find out if that will work in Android 6 at some point, as it will also allow me to also delete some 'bloatware' that is wasting memory on the tablet.
-- Thanks for the suggestions. If anyone knows of any other options to my original problem, please feel free to share.
73, Dave N4DBC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: