The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 630 meter new ham band  (Read 6978 times)
W5KUB

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2017, 08:59:17 PM »

This week on Amateur Radio Roundtable, Dave Casler KE0OG, joins us with his "Ask Dave" segment and John Langrige, KB5NJD, who has an experimental license from the FCC discussing the new 630 Meter ham band. You won't want to miss either of these great segments. Also shack pictures of your shacks. You can watch is show Tues at 8:00 PM central time on W5KUB.COM . This show is also simulcast on famous international shortwave station WBCQ on 5130 khz. ( for intl it is 0100 UTC Wed) We also invite you to join our ham radio facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/w5kub/
KC2QYM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 04:42:55 AM »

For all the fanfare, boondoggle money, and phoney excitement promoted by the ARRL about this sliver of low frequency spectrum, how many amateurs are really going to use this band? Sure, there will be a handful of hams that are salivating over this and staunchly defend the opportunity to use the measly few kHz but couldn't ARRL's member contributions be better spent on things that have wider value to amateurs? Yes, some will counter that the opportunity to experiment is invaluable...but for how many elitist hams who have the space for a proper 630 meter antenna?

Or how about the ARRL's campaign to force laws down the throats of HOAs with the phoney pretext that ham EmComm is the reason to force everyone in a development to live with some ugly antenna infrastructure. Hell, if you are a ham and decide to live in an antenna restricted community wasn't that your choice? Do we really think that every ham living in an HOA development gives one hoot about joining ARES/RACES? How much money did the ARRL squander anyway?

All the Newington crowd is concerned with is increasing ARRL membership at any cost to justify their payrolls. If this means easy tests to bring larger populations into this hobby they will do it. The ARRL wants to concentrate on bringing young people into the hobby and this is fine, except most young people will never be interested for long. Just listen to the phone bands as a perfect example of the most unstimulating activities. Wait your turn weather report nets, boring orators, impersonal 5/9 73 contacts...what about the digital modes using macro contacts....push a few function keys and win some phoney awards. No, young people get fascinated with ham radio for about one weekend and get bored very quickly for good reason.

Well, my critique is over...let fly the arrows...
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 06:51:48 AM »

A new 25, 35, 50 or even 120 meter band with SSB privileges would be a LOT more useful than 630m.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 09:06:36 PM »

YQM - Well said!  But.....the alternative is the loss of what we do have. 

Without the ARRL, amateur radio would probably become non-existent in a short time or at the very least turn into another 11m free-for-all.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 04:21:14 AM »

Without the ARRL, amateur radio would probably become non-existent in a short time or at the very least turn into another 11m free-for-all.

Already well on the way to becoming it. The easy to get CB Extra Class ticket made that inevitable. Just a matter of time now.

W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 06:21:48 PM »

There is a new Long Wave / Medium Wave forum here on eham.

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/board,41.0.html

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 08:35:37 PM »

Already well on the way to becoming it. The easy to get CB Extra Class ticket made that inevitable. Just a matter of time now.

You are so right John.  It all has become a money thing and a "I want it now" thing.  It doesn't take a close examination to see that the whole damn country is going that way. 

The only consolation I have is I got the best years! 

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 05:25:43 AM »

The only consolation I have is I got the best years! 

Me too and those memories of those times cannot be taken away...

AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 08:50:15 AM »

Alzheimers can do that for you.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 02:47:21 PM »

Alzheimers can do that for you.

Not really but rather you just cannot find them anymore. Sometimes you can have a day when you can find a few of them. Also short term memory goes before long term usually.

KOP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2017, 05:58:05 PM »

Also short term memory goes before long term usually.

So is the term "CB Extra Class ticket" embedded in your short term or long term memory ?

This WAS about the creation of new bandwidth for amateur use and in the FIRST reply degenerated into an attack on the A.R.R.L. . (Really Peter , was this the place for it ?) Now I'm no fan of the entrenched demagoguery of the Church of St. Hiram . I make no secret that I resent the A.R.R.L. assuming to represent All amateur licensees . However this is not , was not , and will never be about just me . Its about additional sandbox for us to play in .

Keep in mind that with the EIRP and antenna restrictions this becomes a real challenge . Imagine a radiation resistance on the order of a couple ohms and it becomes close to a kilowatt input to the antenna. I'm just curious enough to strap a few high power MOSFETs down and see if anything comes of it .

If you care to trash the A.R.R.L. start your own thread in "Licensing" so I can ignore it . If you want to belittle a bit more space for us to experiment in , petition the F.C.C. for more bandwidth . If you want to contribute to the technical challenges presented by 630m then by all means , I'm all ears .

To the OP , my apologies for the retort . I could not let it go any more than John, W8JX could not resist another off topic blast at the "CB Extra Class ticket".

Now , where were we ...

oh yeah , nomex ...

~kop

I considered a microwave oven magnetron and a 4' dish as a drone-killer. The ERP would be on the order of a hundred thousand watts or so. ~anon

November 28, 2018, 09:16:04 AM
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 06:50:45 AM »

Its about additional sandbox for us to play in .

I agree, new challenges for those so inclined. Any new allocation is a gift that should be appreciated.
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 03:04:26 PM »

I'm waiting for some new Chinese portable QRP radios to cover the new bands!  Already got my 1,000 foot spool of wire!!  Roll Eyes
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 03:46:48 PM »

So is the term "CB Extra Class ticket" embedded in your short term or long term memory ?

You really do not have a clue about what ham radio once was do you? Its is turning in a a modern day CB band with easy to get tickets. Soon you will not even need a ticket....

KOP

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 03:51:31 PM »

I'm waiting for some new Chinese portable QRP radios to cover the new bands!  Already got my 1,000 foot spool of wire!!  Roll Eyes

Not THAT subtle :-)

You may not need 1000' of wire . A (not so) simple 100' vertical and an equal horizontal top load length may be enough to get to 1 ohm RL . At 1 ohm RL that's somewhere north of a kilowatt for 5 watts EIRP.
Look I'm a bit under the weather and having issues here so if one of you wizz kidz wants to come along and produce the math , have at it . I just have a thumb rule look at it so far and at 1 ohm or less that equates to a handful of MosFet's and some unique broad band combiners . These days and at these frequencies parallel may be an option with a stiff bias supply . Come to think of it I have a 100A switching supply that has a free running oscillator at around 135KHZ ...

For portable operation we have several bridges around here with at least 500' under them...

~kop  

I considered a microwave oven magnetron and a 4' dish as a drone-killer. The ERP would be on the order of a hundred thousand watts or so. ~anon

November 28, 2018, 09:16:04 AM
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: