The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PIXIE TRANSCEIVER WITH PC INTERFACE?  (Read 5476 times)
KD8GLK

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2017, 07:09:02 PM »

Could the Pixie CW Transceiver be hooked up, using a Computer CW Interface and use CwGet & CwType software ?

Carl
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 01:10:29 AM »

Could the Pixie CW Transceiver be hooked up, using a Computer CW Interface and use CwGet & CwType software ?

Carl

Sure, but why you would want to is another matter. Also the chances of it working in a manner that is going to be rewarding are slim at best. I have a pixie here I can connect it to a sound card and decoder software and report back how bad it actually is if you like?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 01:13:58 AM by VK4FFAB » Logged
KD8GLK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 08:20:26 AM »

Heck yes!
That would be great if you could do that and give me a review.  
The reason why is, I want start off with something simple and cheap to get an idea if I like CW enough to stay with it, before buying a more expensive rig for long term CW us only.  But I need to have it interfaced with a PC due to my health and physical issues I have sustained after my accident.  It makes doing CW the normal way, almost impossible for me.

Carl

Sure, but why you would want to is another matter. Also the chances of it working in a manner that is going to be rewarding are slim at best. I have a pixie here I can connect it to a sound card and decoder software and report back how bad it actually is if you like?
[/quote]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 08:23:21 AM by KD8GLK » Logged
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 04:58:51 PM »

Heck yes!
That would be great if you could do that and give me a review.  
The reason why is, I want start off with something simple and cheap to get an idea if I like CW enough to stay with it, before buying a more expensive rig for long term CW us only.  But I need to have it interfaced with a PC due to my health and physical issues I have sustained after my accident.  It makes doing CW the normal way, almost impossible for me.

Carl

To be honest Carl and I do not want to shoot your ideas down here, doing anything with a pixie is the ultimate in hard mode and unless you are really patient and skilled it will only lead to disappointment. I am not saying these things cannot be done, they can, but such minimalist approaches make things difficult and when starting out.

I am going to assume here you do not already have a general purpose receiver or a full featured transceiver of any kind and offer a suggestion or 2. http://www.hfsigs.com/ The BITX40 is a superhet SSB transceiver that will give full coverage of the 40m band. It will allow you to listen to cw even from home with a bit of wire along a fence, in your roof or even in your dining room. It wont be the best receiving antenna but it will allow you to hear stuff and it wont break your HOA agreement.

With a modest battery, a case and a home brew 40m dipole antenna and squidpole you will be able to take it down the park and talk to people and with some minor additions and modifications you can also add CW functionality to it and you will be all in for under $200.

Option 2. https://youkits.com/products/youkits-sk-1a-40m-single-band-ssb-cw-transceiver SSB and CW 40m rig, youkits make great stuff, I have their HB1B 4 band CW rig and its awesome.

Being a portable station does not mean you have to be CW only, mix in some SSB as well. The below pics are of my portable station, Bitx40 SSB and HB1B both are 5w and I make plenty enough contacts.

As for the Pixie with a decoder, it was rather sad. The front end is as wide as a barn door, there is no selectivity and so it could not decode much because decoders need a single signal, the pixie's bandpass might be about 4K wide, plus the image as well because its direct conversion. The band was not busy when I tried it last night, but there might have been 3 signals being read by the decoder and even using HRD where i can pick out a single cw stream, it could not deal with the strong adjacent signals.

KD8GLK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 07:12:20 AM »

Thank you for the advice.
It got me thinking about what you wrote about the Pixie .  I'd probably spend more money on equipment, materials and time just to build the thing, let alone if it will work when its done.  Time I did that, I'd could pay about the same price for one that's already up and running and without all the hassles.  Thank you for the links.  I was very interested in the $189. Youkit but for $100 more I can get the HB1B 4 band CW rig and have more options instead of just the 40 meter.

Thank you again
DU7DVE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 03:25:23 PM »

I built a a pixie with the $3 chinese kit. It's less than a toy radio. It's really just a kit for learning how to solder.
VK4FFAB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 05:23:16 PM »

Thank you for the advice.
It got me thinking about what you wrote about the Pixie .  I'd probably spend more money on equipment, materials and time just to build the thing, let alone if it will work when its done.  Time I did that, I'd could pay about the same price for one that's already up and running and without all the hassles.  Thank you for the links.  I was very interested in the $189. Youkit but for $100 more I can get the HB1B 4 band CW rig and have more options instead of just the 40 meter.

Thank you again

The HB1B is a nice little rig for portable. Perhaps something like the Elecraft KX2 might be more up your alley. Yeah its a lot more dollars, but its a full featured radio and will work well with other digital modes as well. Being hearing impaired, you might find JT65 PSK31 etc to be very useful to have in your bag of tricks and obviously they are very efficient modes as well for low power qrp.
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 08:46:56 AM »

I want start off with something simple and cheap to get an idea if I like CW enough to stay with it, before buying a more expensive rig for long term CW us only.  

Carl:

Of course it is possible to couple your computer with your Pixie. But when you want to try that with the help of others in order to find out whether or not you like CW, you better don't try it. Waste of time and money because I am sure you will not like CW.

My advice is to try PSK31. That is designed for interfacing with a computer and you will meet lots of people doing it, rag chewing, chasing dx, or contesting all with full typing speed. Ideal because two phase modulation of PSK is 3 dB better than on-off AM modulation, (equivalent to double transmitting power), and you use run length coding, so with very limited bandwidth you are really better off than with CW.

CW has only great advantages when you can copy it in your head without any decoding equipment.

best 73
Wim PA0WV =30=

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: