The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Production "Swedish pump key"?  (Read 6312 times)
N3QE

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2017, 08:33:51 AM »

Are there are any "classic" pump-style straight keys still in production?

Begali Blade certainly has a stylish look, with the innards inset into a heavy metal base, but it's not the "classic" look because the mechanism is not visible.

NT9K's Swedish Pump Key sure looks nice as a modern update to the Swedish pump, but does not seem to be in production anymore.

I think I'm looking for something more like "the original", lots of exposed brass, wooden base:

KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 09:24:01 AM »

If it is looks you want Alberto Frattini I1QOD makes very beautiful Swedish Pump keys.

If you want a less classic look LNR Precision makes a more contemporary-looking version.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 10:20:27 AM »

I should add that Frattini's keys are not "production" items, but more handmade.

He also does custom keys. If you insist on an unchromed brass key, he may be willing to build it.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 11:01:12 AM »

Type Marconi 213 Lucido Deluxe BlackBase by Frattini.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 11:33:21 AM »

But it is not a ball bearing pivot.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
OZ8AGB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 12:16:21 PM »

How about Begali's Postal key?
http://www.i2rtf.com/postal.html
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 12:43:56 PM »

You just have to keep it below 200 wpm.
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 01:10:07 PM »

You just have to keep it below 200 wpm.

That must be why ours had Ball bearings in them  Grin

This is a real key, but the price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marconi-PS-No213A-Morse-Telegraph-UK-Coast-Station-key-in-very-good-condition-/142326798734?

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 02:40:05 PM »

That reminds me that I see a key of that design occasionally on ebay here. Usually the asking price is something over $400 which on ebay can mean that the selling price will be significantly higher.

If you want, and you can pay, then you can get.  Grin
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 07:43:47 AM »

That reminds me that I see a key of that design occasionally on ebay here. Usually the asking price is something over $400 which on ebay can mean that the selling price will be significantly higher.

If you want, and you can pay, then you can get.  Grin

Rather than pay, I might try building something similar to the original picture I posted. Many more modern CW keys look to have nice cast parts, but the picture I originally posted looks like it may have been milled from flat stock, and that's kinda the technology I can do at home.

Am I interpreting my picture correct, that it's not a coil spring but a stiff sheet spring? It looks like the back contact has some intentional springiness - less stiff - too.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 07:46:08 AM by N3QE » Logged
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 10:07:34 AM »

Am I interpreting my picture correct, that it's not a coil spring but a stiff sheet spring? It looks like the back contact has some intentional springiness - less stiff - too.

Yes, a pump design usually has the contacts mounted on a flat spring at the distal end of the lever. The design shown looks like the pivot is sheet metal which also provides the spring that keeps the contacts normally open.

The desirable feel of the pump has to do with the long, usually massive, lever and the quiet, soft (but still discernable) feel of contact closure.

I would question the design shown only because I don't think that the force required for contact closure would be adjustable without changing the sheet metal in the pivot.
SM0AOM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 01:50:41 PM »

This is correct.

The main spring is a leaf spring that serves to provide the resistance when pressing down, and also to provide the
return force. Much of the "feel" also comes from the spring action of the back contact, which is very well balanced to the rest of the key.

This is a late 1930's design, that was drawn up by from military requirements for a very robust but still cheap and easily produced telegraph key. Its predecessor was the L M Ericsson 1880's needle-point bearing key that used a very expensive coil spring and required precision machined parts. It has however a somewhat superior "feel".

Due to its robustness and low cost, the leaf spring key became standard issue for all branches of the Swedish military, for the Swedish Telecom rental ship stations, and also for the ITT-Standard Radio ship stations that were sold on the export markets.

A derivative even had a NATO stock number.
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »

Due to its robustness and low cost, the leaf spring key became standard issue for all branches of the Swedish military, for the Swedish Telecom rental ship stations, and also for the ITT-Standard Radio ship stations that were sold on the export markets.

We don't see them for sale here. Possibly in Sweden on ebay (tradera)?
WB5AGF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 12:47:11 AM »

Are there are any "classic" pump-style straight keys still in production?

Phil, GØNVT, makes a spectacular key that is closely modeled on the Marconi PS-213a (one of the best straight keys ever made).

Go look at Phil's Web Page:

http://g0nvtclassickeys.weebly.com/sales.html

- Paul, WB5AGF
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: