The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brexit and what it means to the UK radio Amateur.  (Read 4584 times)
GW0HUS

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2017, 12:56:23 AM »

Brexit and what it means to the UK radio Amateur.

Good morning all,
                       Just sitting here thinking over my first cup of black coffee (a habit born out of living and working in Germany before the E. E. C. came into being . refuse to call it E. U. because that was not we signed up for )

I digress back to the original subject  Brexit and what it means to the UK radio Amateur
once UK leaves the E U does this mean that the UK will once again be considered a DX entity ..

Will all UK amateur radio stations be able to work the Pompous stations saying ,
D X ONLY OUTSIDE EUROPE.

We will be(OUTSISE EUROPE ) so there fore we count as DX or am I missing something... ??

Graham Gw0hus (always DX to somebody )
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:59:29 AM by GW0HUS » Logged
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 05:22:03 AM »

I think you've got it wrong, we are leaving the European Union, we are not leaving Europe, unless someone cuts the mooring rope and we sail away into the sunset  Grin

GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 06:01:11 AM »

I think you've got it wrong, we are leaving the European Union, we are not leaving Europe, unless someone cuts the mooring rope......

Let's......now.......if not, sooner.......bad mooring....... Grin
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 06:03:50 AM by GM1FLQ » Logged
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 07:14:09 AM »

All I know is that if I call "CQ DX Europe" all of you G's darn better well reply.  Grin
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 08:24:22 AM »

If one proposal a few years back from European Commission had been accepted, there would have been one Administration for the whole 28 countries and they would probably have ended up changing everybody's call signs with it all becoming one ITU (and thus DXCC) country. It got kicked out, one reason being that instead of CEPT having 49 votes in unison at ITU, there would only be 22.
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 09:36:11 AM »

Hmmmm, I was always told that politics, religion and sex should never be discussed, or was that just over the air? Anyway, after the UK leaves the European Union we will still talk to you all and I still trust the BBC more than CNN.

I don't think this will affect ham radio too much and even arrangements such as CEPT will probably continue.

Peter DL8OV
W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 09:59:38 AM »

Hmmmm, I was always told that politics, religion and sex should never be discussed, or was that just over the air?

There's no actual rule against it, but common sense says that you should avoid contentious and controversial subjects when talking over the air.
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 11:38:49 AM »

..................... I still trust the BBC more than CNN.............

Peter DL8OV

Nowadays seems they are no better.......full of virtue signalling snowflakes which inevitably means biased to the core.  Sad
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 11:44:16 AM by GM1FLQ » Logged
W8RBT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2017, 02:02:35 PM »

All I know is that if I call "CQ DX Europe" all of you G's darn better well reply.  Grin

Just call CQ DX Great Britain.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 03:39:02 PM »

CEPT has been going since 1956. It is now has 49 or maybe 50 countries as members, so the EU countries are less than half......

I just got hauled out of retirement as an IARU Technical Consultant to provide an amateur radio input on a draft ECC (Electronic Communications Committee) Report on Capsule Endoscopes in 430 - 440 MHz. As the author 'just happened' to be IV3FCV, there was no problem on getting the IARU input accepted. Brexit won't affect UK participation in CEPT Spectrum policy, thank heavens. We may follow EU spectrum policy, but again, may not. My professional experience of EU spectrum policy  - over several years as a Chairman of an ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards Institute) committee - was  that it was led by people with no real technical appreciation or knowledge of the subject.

CEPT is not always that good technically, and I had many battles there especially on the subject of "Unwanted  emissions in the spurious domain" as applied to amateur radio. I like to feel that I won  very liberal restrictive levels - maybe too liberal in some ways - but still allowing home brew without a lab full of equipment. All great fun if you have a family that doesn't object to you spending all 25 days of vacation going to meetings abroad without them!
G8HQP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 04:55:51 AM »

I never noticed any change in amateur radio when we entered the Common Market. I don't expect to see any change when we leave the EU. The island of Great Britain will still be part of Europe, even if Scotland decides to become part of Canada - now that might have radio repercussions!

Actually, there will be one tiny change: the EMC rules which Ofcom and Trading Standards choose to ignore will be UK rules instead of EU rules. Chinese junk will no longer need a CE sticker, but it will still be junk. Maxwell's equations will remain unchanged, although the SNP may try to claim ownership of the whole spectrum on the grounds that it was a Scottish invention.
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 01:02:28 PM »

the SNP may try to claim ownership of the whole spectrum on the grounds that it was a Scottish invention.

It's best to dismiss anything wee Jimmy Crankie claims.  

I they like,  wee Jimmy and baw face Eck can go to join Canada on their own........preferably on a one way ticket.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 01:09:47 PM by GM1FLQ » Logged
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 09:11:59 AM »

the EMC rules which Ofcom and Trading Standards choose to ignore will be UK rules instead of EU rules

G8HQP is not being cynical, but is correct.
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 11:04:29 PM »

the EMC rules which Ofcom and Trading Standards choose to ignore will be UK rules instead of EU rules

G8HQP is not being cynical, but is correct.

On that point, I quite believe it.

Perhaps not helped when the more cynical may say that the latest head of Ofcom looks to be another "Metropolitan London" appointment to fit with their PC agenda/narrative where "quotas" and virtue signalling are seemingly the priority - just to ensure those doing the appointing are still welcome and invited to all the "right" dinner parties.

Nah, it would be impossible for that to be the case........errrrr, wouldn't it ?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 11:27:23 PM by GM1FLQ » Logged
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2017, 11:30:50 PM »

^^^^..........Notting Hill dinner parties that would be.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: