The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SO-239 mobile mount  (Read 5193 times)
KC6ETE

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2017, 10:33:42 AM »

I haven't had a lot of success looking, can anyone recommend a supplier for an SO-239 mount?   This is a roof mount application.
I'd like a little extra length for washers, and a right angle exit for the cable so it doesn't bash the headliner.

Thanks
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 01:38:57 PM »

Do you already have an antenna that requires that kind of mount?  If not, I recommend looking into an NMO mount.  It's the defacto standard in roof antenna mounting, even used by police and fire departments.  Most NMO mounts have a right angle exit to clear the headliner.

If you look at this gallery of photos, you'll see some pictures of an NMO mount about halfway through.

https://johnwright.smugmug.com/Amateur-Ham-Radio/Installation-of-FT-7900-in-my/
KC6ETE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 02:24:48 PM »

I know what an NMO mount is.   

The antennas I wish to use in this position use the SO-239 mount.
NT6U

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 05:02:47 PM »

Try Breedlove Antenna.  WWWBreedlovemounts.com
Or Google Breedlove antenna.  I run several different mounts, all are high quality brass and stainless hardware. Really top notch stuff.
KD4UPL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 06:33:51 PM »

Diamond, Commet, Tram, and others all make SO-239 style mounts. The last few I bought have come from Antenna Farm.
I really like that style of mount for the versatility of using coax fittings, adapters, etc to connect the antenna in other configurations when parked for a public service event. Also, making your own mount with a threaded barrel and 2 nuts is cheap and easy.
KC6ETE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 04:19:38 PM »

I forgot to mention, this is for an HF radio, I'm anticipating the Diamond HFxxCL series, so I need something that can take a fair bit of sideload.
It's a little more complicated in that the centerline of the roof is a drain slot, so the top side of this mount can't be too wide.  It could be long, but not wide.
KT4NR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 10:17:37 AM »

PL259 antennas and mounts are not going to do you much good long term. They leak water, have impedance variations when moved around, and are not structurally strong. Looking at the antenna it also has moving parts. If you are looking at a monoband style antenna, consider Hustler antennas. Its a standard HF mount and (if you do not buy a foldover mast) very strong and reliable.

Speaking from experience here. Good luck either way.
W9CLL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 08:53:26 AM »

I think you seriously need to rethink your antenna choice. An so239 is not going to hold up to the abuse that antenna is going to give it, also that is a really crappy HF  antenna. Yes it will work but not very efficently.
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 08:46:46 PM »

install a NMO mount and use a NMO to SO239 adapter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: