The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hamvention Motorcycle Parking  (Read 4971 times)
AI8IA

Ignore
« on: May 15, 2017, 01:46:53 PM »

Didn't see anything on the site - has anyone heard if they are going to have motorcycle parking on site at the fairgrounds like they had at Hara?

I don't think the weather is going to be conducive to coming on 2-wheels from Cincinnati, but if the forecast changes, I would rather come on the bike. My saddlebags will limit what I can bring home (but damnit they are more than big enough for a KX3...)

AI8IA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 01:51:21 PM »

I can certainly get quite a bit home if I really want to. But no big antennas or spools of LMR-900 Smiley

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 01:56:25 PM »

Didn't see anything on the site - has anyone heard if they are going to have motorcycle parking on site at the fairgrounds like they had at Hara?

I don't think the weather is going to be conducive to coming on 2-wheels from Cincinnati, but if the forecast changes, I would rather come on the bike. My saddlebags will limit what I can bring home (but damnit they are more than big enough for a KX3...)

I honestly do not know but I would not bank on it. Space is very limited and traffic 2 wheeled or 4 will get choked on narrows roads feeding area. Funny thing is even if there was a lot of room for on site parking, the poor road access would require several hours for several thousand cars to drive in and several more hours for them to drive back out. I think many do not truly understand how bad traffic is going to choke at this site even with good weather. It was never remotely designed for a large crowd or more than moderate traffic.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
AI8IA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 02:08:40 PM »

No I definitely think traffic will be the biggest story this weekend. I thought that the day of the announcement. I go through Xenia a lot, grew up in Fairborn (don't judge...) And I'm not the jackass type rider that will illegally lane split or do anything else crazy. But it will be easier to get out of precarious situations, even if it means bailing on the whole thing. I am surprised they didn't say yea or nay though on the site. Last time I was there was about 4 years ago and there were A LOT of bikes parked along that fence. They will be showing up on site.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2017, 02:22:51 PM »

No I definitely think traffic will be the biggest story this weekend. I thought that the day of the announcement. I go through Xenia a lot, grew up in Fairborn (don't judge...) And I'm not the jackass type rider that will illegally lane split or do anything else crazy. But it will be easier to get out of precarious situations, even if it means bailing on the whole thing. I am surprised they didn't say yea or nay though on the site. Last time I was there was about 4 years ago and there were A LOT of bikes parked along that fence. They will be showing up on site.

I never thought of you as a potential "jackass" in your query or that you were looking to beat the system. HARA had a LOT more room on site for parking bikes and WAY better access to it with 4 lane roads feeding it from 3 directions and another 2 lane side feeder. Xenia site has very limited narrow 2 lane access and not from 4 directions either. Because of that they will have their hands full with local traffic as well as show traffic and shuttles accessing site before you tried to put bike parking in mix.

AI8IA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2017, 02:31:54 PM »

I was not accusing you of labeling me Smiley Just making it known to others that not all bikers are assholes. It's gonna be jacked up when bikes show up (cause seriously, not everyone looks online) and they can't park, if they can't. I've already agreed that traffic is going to be hilarious at best. I wish there were ODOT traffic cams in Xenia. The closest is 35 @ Factory. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2017, 03:38:44 PM »

I was not accusing you of labeling me Smiley

Did not think you were.... Smiley

I've already agreed that traffic is going to be hilarious at best. I wish there were ODOT traffic cams in Xenia. The closest is 35 @ Factory

I do agree that traffic will be hilarious at best and likely much worse. The cheap cost of renting site dominated decision to use it, not logic based on size, parking, road access or facilities themselves....

W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 06:52:39 PM »

So tell us, Mr. Expert on Xenia... where should DARA have gone for Hamvention this year?

You clearly dislike the choice, as is obviously evident in you many derogatory and negative postings.  So just as clearly, you have a better option in mind.  What is it?
W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 05:42:41 AM »

So tell us, Mr. Expert on Xenia... where should DARA have gone for Hamvention this year?

You clearly dislike the choice, as is obviously evident in you many derogatory and negative postings.  So just as clearly, you have a better option in mind.  What is it?

To be fair, he's suggested the Ohio Fairgrounds in Columbus, which would be a great location for a hamfest, but I'm sure DARA had their reasons for not picking a location so far away.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 07:13:55 AM »

To be fair, he's suggested the Ohio Fairgrounds in Columbus, which would be a great location for a hamfest, but I'm sure DARA had their reasons for not picking a location so far away.

Oh yes it was $$$$. Never mind that it could of had far greater attendance to offset greater costs because of  good access, on site parking, lodging and food close by, Better airport access, air conditioning, no porta poties and room to have everything indoors if need be to get out of weather. It all about DARA doing it as cheaply as possible for its version of a "world class event" while they travel every year to real ones in Germany and Japan that are not held in converted cattle barns or in a barn yard setting with poor road access too...

W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 08:17:37 AM »

Oh yes it was $$$$.

You know this for a fact?  No, you don't.  So give it a rest, dude.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 08:19:39 AM »

DARA officers have consistently said over the years, whenever a discussion turned to an alternative to the HARA Arena, that they wanted to keep their event in the Dayton area.  And yes, Columbus was considered too far away.

So either there are alternative legitimate, adequate or more than adequate facilities in the Dayton vicinity that DARA looked at, and turned down... which would give the nattering nabobs of negativity something legit to complain about; or there aren't... which means the NNN squad just likes to complain and/or stir up trouble.

Since the NNN squad has failed, when asked multiple times, to mention an alternative in the area, but has failed to do so, the logical conclusion is a new task for television commercial spokesperson Captain Obvious.
W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 08:24:56 AM »

DARA officers have consistently said over the years, whenever a discussion turned to an alternative to the HARA Arena, that they wanted to keep their event in the Dayton area.  And yes, Columbus was considered too far away.

There are many valid logistical reasons for keeping an event like this "close to home".
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 08:42:37 AM »

There are many valid logistical reasons for keeping an event like this "close to home".

I doubt that. I overheard conversations about using Columbus fairgrounds in many years ago in past and the two main reasons against where it could not really be called Dayton Hamfest (even though they call it that when it is clearly in Xenia which is about 15 mills from Dayton) and DARA did not want the expense of chartering buses for workers/volinteers that did not want to drive to Columbus for show.

It would of been a near turn key event there. No scrambling for finding off sitw parking and shuttles or  traffic flow problems or weather concerns or porta poties or converted cattle barns or late of A/C or spending weeks and months trying to fit things in. There is more space than they would ever need and very little "preflight" for a event there would be needed.

W9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 08:48:34 AM »

I doubt that.

I'm sure you do.  But your doubts are not facts.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: