The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 6400M vs. Icom 7610 ?  (Read 63310 times)
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: December 01, 2017, 01:49:12 PM »

Just because Flex is adding a Maestro front panel to the 6400 and 6600, they will still be subject to all of the Flex twiddle and fiddle with software and applications while the Icoms just work as advertised right out of the box.

Oh, right--the twiddle and fiddle. When I got my 6500 it took all of three minutes to install SmartSDR and get the rig on the air. I was making my first JT65 contact literally ten minutes after plugging the 6500 in.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: December 01, 2017, 04:43:58 PM »

Oh, right--the twiddle and fiddle. When I got my 6500 it took all of three minutes to install SmartSDR and get the rig on the air. I was making my first JT65 contact literally ten minutes after plugging the 6500 in.

Jerry, you sure have changed your tune. I can remember when you were an honest Flex Owner. Seems like you bashed Flexradio a time or two right after you dumped a Flexradio 5K and your wife got you a Yaesu 5K for Christmas.  Wink

Twiddle and Fiddle and WAIT, WAIT WAIT for Flexradio to "finally" deliver a software promise.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I wanta Know why ANYONE would buy a Flexradio and then do JT-65 and brag about it on a public forum?  You can do JT-65 with ANY radio. ANY RADIO.  You chase DX on FT-8 too?? OMG

Stan K9IUQ
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: December 01, 2017, 09:20:02 PM »

Jerry, you sure have changed your tune. I can remember when you were an honest Flex Owner. Seems like you bashed Flexradio a time or two right after you dumped a Flexradio 5K and your wife got you a Yaesu 5K for Christmas.  Wink

Twiddle and Fiddle and WAIT, WAIT WAIT for Flexradio to "finally" deliver a software promise.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I wanta Know why ANYONE would buy a Flexradio and then do JT-65 and brag about it on a public forum?  You can do JT-65 with ANY radio. ANY RADIO.  You chase DX on FT-8 too?? OMG

Stan K9IUQ

Hey Stan:

I get that you think he changed his tune, but the part about JT-65 on a Flex?
I don't get what you saying.  Both Analog SuperHet radios and SDR Radios can do the same modes;
AM/SSB/CW/Digital/FSK-RTTY, etc.   So why does it matter that he is doing JT-65?
I have over 4,000 JT/FT contacts on both a Yaesu FT-DX3000 SuperHet Analog and a Icom 7300 SDR.
They both work great.

Cheers
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: December 02, 2017, 01:18:22 AM »

I don't get what you saying.  Both Analog SuperHet radios and SDR Radios can do the same modes;
Cheers

You don't need a high dollar Flex SDR to work the JT/FT modes. Any radio made in the last 30 years will work those modes. The worst radios made will easily do JT/FT. The worst antennas will do JT/FT.  No skill needed either. Just patience..  Wink Cheesy Cheesy

And yes I have worked those modes. It is about as exciting as working Dx on Brandmeister DMR, but on DMR the conversations can be interesting.

Stan K9IUQ
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: December 02, 2017, 09:04:13 AM »

Stan K9IUQ

I wonder who will be the first to work FT8 with a homebrewed vacuum tube regen rig?  Now THAT  is a radio that doesn't require any waiting for software updates! Should be your first rig choice, no?

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: December 02, 2017, 01:55:56 PM »

I wonder who will be the first to work FT8 with a homebrewed vacuum tube regen rig?  Now THAT  is a radio that doesn't require any waiting for software updates! Should be your first rig choice, no?

Check out pictures of my Winter (  Wink ) radios on QRZ.com under my call.....

Stan K9IUQ
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: December 02, 2017, 05:17:46 PM »

Stan,  I still bash Flex when it's warranted. They still do dumb things they deserve to be bashed for, but they occasionally do things right and that's worth acknowledging.

I've had a Flex-6500 now for 3-1/2 years and it's never given me any trouble and although Flex still comes out with software updates, there hasn't been anything new for a really long time that I've been waiting for. The rig does everything I need it to do, and CW is bulletproof on a 6000 series, unlike the 5000A,,,

I didn't buy a Flex-6000 just to operate JT65 or any of the other digital modes, but it does work well on those modes and doesn't require sound cards or cabling between the rig and computer. Plus I can connect to the rig over Ethernet from a computer in any room in the house (I have at least seven computers scattered around here) and operate digital modes. Yes, I do chase DX on FT8. Why not? Lots of DX to be had right now on that mode. I've even been known to use my legal limit amp on FT8 when I need to.  Wink
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: December 02, 2017, 07:43:52 PM »

Working JT8 with a Flex 6000, now that's quite an accomplishment.   Cheesy

Bob
K6UJ

W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2017, 10:09:25 PM »

Working JT8 with a Flex 6000, now that's quite an accomplishment.   Cheesy

How so? It's actually quite trivial. Anyone with more than two brain cells can set up wsjt-x with a Flex 6000 in about five minutes and make contacts with FT8/JT65.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: December 03, 2017, 08:19:42 AM »

Now that we've completed the requisite Flex bashing, I wonder how the 6400M compares to the 7610?
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: December 03, 2017, 08:31:15 AM »

Now that we've completed the requisite Flex bashing, I wonder how the 6400M compares to the 7610?

That's easy, the 7610 just blows the doors off of the 6400M.  Want proof? Just set them down beside one another on a bench and try them out.  Oh, that's right, you cant because there is no 6400M.  Oh well.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: December 03, 2017, 08:56:45 AM »

That's easy, the 7610 just blows the doors off of the 6400M.  Want proof? Just set them down beside one another on a bench and try them out.  Oh, that's right, you cant because there is no 6400M.  Oh well.

Well, we've had a sample size of one 7610 on this forum so far and it's already had to be sent back to Icom for service. Not a good track record so far...
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: December 03, 2017, 01:45:56 PM »

Well, we've had a sample size of one 7610 on this forum so far and it's already had to be sent back to Icom for service. Not a good track record so far...

What's the sample size for the 6400M?  The 7610's are being delivered in the US now.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: December 03, 2017, 01:58:14 PM »

What's the sample size for the 6400M? 

It is impossible to sample Promises.

Stan K9IUQ
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: December 03, 2017, 02:09:25 PM »

It is impossible to sample Promises.

Stan,

How is the 7610 any different from the 6400M? Icom announced it, what, 18 months ago and are just now starting to ship them in North America?
Pages: Prev 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: