The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 6400M vs. Icom 7610 ?  (Read 120949 times)
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2017, 09:20:27 AM »

Sorry but the KX2&KX3 radio's are zero IF DSP based radio's, not true SDR radio's like the Flex or the Icom's 7300/7610, they may want to make you think its SDR like but they are not, its a real slick system for a simple design.

You are right on, and the Elecraft radios are proof that a well designed analog front end can still perform as well as any digital sampling radio.  It is a slick design but they also use high quality components and that makes a big difference in performance.
W6RZ

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2017, 09:23:42 AM »

All very nice radios with their fans and detractors. I'm sure I'd be happy with any of them.

The USRP B200 does look interesting though.

I was just trying to point out the absurdity of KE2TR's post about "true" SDR's. To me, a "true" SDR is one where you can actually change the software on and transmit or receive arbitrary waveforms. The Ettus B200 is sold with only a driver to send and receive IQ samples, no applications at all. Also, it's a zero IF architecture, which is the only way to cheaply have a 70 MHz to 6 GHz range (look how expensive the Icom IC-R8600 is with it's analog down converters).

In reality, the Ettus B200 is a pretty poor choice for most ham radio applications. You can't even control a T/R relay with it. For traditional ham radio modes, I have an IC-7300 and TS-590S. But after 35 years as a ham, I'm bored silly with traditional ham radio and now spend all my radio hobby time writing DSP software.

The spectrum painter is just a goofy application that I wrote for fun. It's probably the most inefficient communications format ever designed. It takes around 15 seconds to paint that waterfall image in a 2 MHz bandwidth.

However, I'm working on more useful stuff including the AMSAT Phase 4 project.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2017, 10:08:36 AM »

The spectrum painter is just a goofy application that I wrote for fun. It's probably the most inefficient communications format ever designed. It takes around 15 seconds to paint that waterfall image in a 2 MHz bandwidth.

However, I'm working on more useful stuff including the AMSAT Phase 4 project.

I understand, and that's an interesting app. Good luck with your endeavors.
KC9NRN

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2017, 12:04:52 PM »

"But I want, I want, I need, Ineed.........."

This is you every time you see a topic or post you can use an animated gif for, you can actually hear the squealing.

FlexRadio 6300 Maestro Combo
Yaesu MP1000 Mark V
Icom 746Pro
SDRPlay
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2017, 02:05:30 PM »

"But I want, I want, I need, Ineed.........."

This is you every time you see a topic or post you can use an animated gif for, you can actually hear the squealing.

Well thank you, glad you liked it.............

............... Grin
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2017, 02:43:14 PM »

Darn it;  ever since I hit that IGNORE button, I feel like I am
missing out on something.  I can't see any more childish animated GIF's from Scotland,
and the only thing in the body of a post says;   "This user is currently ignored."

Imagine that;  nothing but useful and interesting technical discussion, void of GM1FLQ
adolescent disruption...  (Wonder why QRZ banned him and eHam does not?)

What?   What, FLQ?   Sorry, I can't hear you...

Why did it take so long to notice what that button was for?  :-)  :-)

N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2017, 05:04:57 PM »

I can't see any more childish animated GIF's from Scotland,
and the only thing in the body of a post says;   "This user is currently ignored."

Imagine that;  nothing but useful and interesting technical discussion, void of GM1FLQ
adolescent disruption...  
Why did it take so long to notice what that button was for?  :-)  :-)

I know! Ignoring two troublemakers last week has been nothing but blissful for me. Sure you get the "This user is currently ignored." notification, which beats whatever nonsense they're spewing. And it really makes the ignored ones look pitiful when you see 20 or 30 posts in one thread that says "This user is currently ignored.". It's awesome to be able to read posts without having to see their repetitive nonsense that adds absolutely nothing to a discussion.

Looking forward to more posts about the Flex versus Icom.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 05:21:56 PM by N0YXB » Logged
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2017, 05:55:21 PM »

Wow that ignore button works great, its like all these oxy morons are gone. Grin
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2017, 10:34:40 PM »

Darn it;  ever since I hit that IGNORE button, I feel like I am
missing out on something.  I can't see any more childish animated GIF's from Scotland,
and the only thing in the body of a post says;   "This user is currently ignored."

Imagine that;  nothing but useful and interesting technical discussion, void of GM1FLQ
adolescent disruption...  (Wonder why QRZ banned him and eHam does not?)

What?   What, FLQ?   Sorry, I can't hear you...

GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2017, 10:51:18 PM »

I can't see any more childish animated GIF's from Scotland,
and the only thing in the body of a post says;   "This user is currently ignored."

Imagine that;  nothing but useful and interesting technical discussion, void of GM1FLQ
adolescent disruption...  
Why did it take so long to notice what that button was for?  :-)  :-)

I know! Ignoring two troublemakers last week has been nothing but blissful for me. Sure you get the "This user is currently ignored." notification, which beats whatever nonsense they're spewing. And it really makes the ignored ones look pitiful when you see 20 or 30 posts in one thread that says "This user is currently ignored.". It's awesome to be able to read posts without having to see their repetitive nonsense that adds absolutely nothing to a discussion.

Looking forward to more posts about the Flex versus Icom.

Awww bless him, he's all pleased with himself........

GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2017, 11:05:40 PM »

Wow that ignore button works great, its like all these oxy morons are gone. Grin

..........you couldn't make it up, they're too busy patting themselves on the back to stop and think about that one  Grin............
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2017, 09:11:16 AM »

You are right, the Ignore button works nicely......

Now if we could only get those jerks (you know who you are) to STOP quoting FLQ, eham could become an intelligent forum once again..

Stan K9IUQ
KC9NRN

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2017, 09:33:18 AM »

You are right, the Ignore button works nicely......

Now if we could only get those jerks (you know who you are) to STOP quoting FLQ, eham could become an intelligent forum once again..

Stan K9IUQ

Well eHam does still have you to troll the Flex posts after all.  Grin

FlexRadio 6300 Maestro Combo
Yaesu MP1000 Mark V
Icom 746Pro
SDRPlay
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2017, 10:56:52 AM »

The ignore button works great there is the likes of this N2 guy who instead of adding anything of value to a post he is like these fellows here that only get there kicks from busting others chops, thank you N6YFM, now I can read the intelligent posts here on E Ham without getting all the fill BS.
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2017, 01:38:16 PM »

but until any one of the 6400 or 6600 or 7610 actually arrives in someone's shack to tell us what it's like, there is nothing of any serious value to add anyway in this thread... so why not be entertained in the meantime?    Shocked   Tongue   Roll Eyes   Grin
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 14 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: