The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 6400M vs. Icom 7610 ?  (Read 117829 times)
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: August 08, 2017, 01:48:58 PM »

Team:

Since the news from Icom has gone silent on the IC-7610, let's turn discussion to Flex.
Is flex sharing any recent news, progress reports, or info about the new 6400M or 6600M?
I do know that Flex will show up in September at HamCon in Southern California, so we
can ask more questions of them at that time.

Neal
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: August 09, 2017, 12:31:24 AM »

Team:

Since the news from Icom has gone silent on the IC-7610, let's turn discussion to Flex.
Is flex sharing any recent news, progress reports, or info about the new 6400M or 6600M?
I do know that Flex will show up in September at HamCon in Southern California, so we
can ask more questions of them at that time.

Neal

That went well   Undecided...........

See, it's all went flat & he's missing my company already.   Grin
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2017, 09:12:26 AM »

yea.  there's nothing happening around here anymore....
KE4U

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2017, 11:49:29 AM »

Flex has just released shipping forecasts for the 6400 and 6600 models with and without the 'M' front panel. Running a month or so behind earlier forecasts but October will likely see some significant shipments based on the news release.
K8EZB

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2017, 05:34:21 AM »

but October will likely see some significant shipments based on the news release.

The trend in shipment delays suggests otherwise. The natives over at the FRS Community website are getting restless. See this series of posts expressing concerns re FRS status as an ongoing business:

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/flex-deposit-and-trade-in-risk

Right now, it seems that all new Flex radios are made from unobtanium, including 63, 65, 67 series and 64, 66 series. My current understanding is that the only radios one can actually buy from Flex right now are refurbished units.

FWIIW, I am NOT a Flex basher. I was all set to order a maxed out 6700 when the newer models were announced. Caused me to pull back and wait for a 6800M (yet to be announced). Will still do this when a radio like this is readily available from stock, with favorable reviews.

Rick
K8EZB
GM1FLQ

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2017, 01:43:39 PM »

Flex has just released shipping forecasts.........

So has Belfast Coastguard (formerly Clyde Coastguard here)  Grin............
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2017, 08:33:53 AM »

but October will likely see some significant shipments based on the news release.

The trend in shipment delays suggests otherwise. The natives over at the FRS Community website are getting restless. See this series of posts expressing concerns re FRS status as an ongoing business:

Right now, it seems that all new Flex radios are made from unobtanium, including 63, 65, 67 series and 64, 66 series. My current understanding is that the only radios one can actually buy from Flex right now are refurbished units.

FWIIW, I am NOT a Flex basher. I was all set to order a maxed out 6700 when the newer models were announced. Caused me to pull back and wait for a 6800M (yet to be announced). Will still do this when a radio like this is readily available from stock, with favorable reviews.

Rick
K8EZB

Interesting. Thanks for the info.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2017, 09:03:10 AM »

Rick
K8EZB

I read your blog with a great deal of interest.  In the thread that you pointed to Mark, the Customer Experience Manager at Flex, had this to say in response to your question. 

"There is no need to be unhappy, ham radio is just a hobby.  Your deposit is fully refundable.  If you so desire to cancel your order, feel free to contact Sales to get a refund."

That is a very odd response from a company official in any capacity.  The hobby aspect of ham radio has absolutely nothing to do with purchasing equipment from their company, they are, ostensibly, in business to produce and sell amateur radio equipment.  It almost sounds as though they need the deposit money to fulfil orders.  I have no way of knowing if that is true or not but the company reps answer was certainly not what I would have expected.  It could be a component related issue, the latest A/D chipsets are very expensive and might be in limited supply with big manufacturers who make large orders getting first dibs on available supply.

What do you make of it?
OH6I

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2017, 11:44:27 AM »

Official response from Steve, VP Engineering was:
"No doubt that if every customer that pre-ordered a radio decided not to buy, it would put us in a difficult position financially."
Hmmmm...  Roll Eyes

Jari
OH6I
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2017, 04:20:46 PM »

Official response from Steve, VP Engineering was:
"No doubt that if every customer that pre-ordered a radio decided not to buy, it would put us in a difficult position financially."
Hmmmm...  Roll Eyes

Jari
OH6I

No Hmm about it my friend Jari. Flexradio has been financing their radios for years by getting interest free deposit $$$ from the Flex Lovers. What is new is that Flexradio is ADMITTING to it..

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/shipping-date-for-6600m?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D%5Bfilter_by%5D=all

None of this is hardly surprising. Flexradio taking Depo$it money to fund their Radios, K9ZW passionately defending Flexradio and BullDog Tim shutting down negative Flexradio discussions, Nothing new....

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 04:24:27 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
N2DTS

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2017, 05:01:08 PM »

Yes, they should just go out of business, along with Elecraft.
They can make radios in China without needing any deposits.
KX2T

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2017, 05:40:36 PM »

I really think these chip sets used in Flex's newer 6400/6600 radio's are old hat compared to what is used in there commercial built radio's, the amateur market gets the left over spouge from there commercial side, the main delay is getting the production run together with all the build of materials since everything is on that main circuit board. What the Flex rep was really trying to say is if everyone canceled there orders they would have zero customers to buy there radio's and therefore fold. Amateur radio to Flex is another product line to them like Icom who really only basis 20-25% of there sales to Amateur radio gear, the rest is Marine radio, Avionics and two way radio. Companies like Yaesu and Kenwood are the ones hurting in this very limited marketplace and I mean it is very small by today's standards.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »

Yes, they should just go out of business,

No, no one (including me) wants Flexradio to go out of business. They need to make radios that the average ham actually wants to buy. For Instance SDR radios with knobs at at a value packed price.. And they need to change some of their anti-customer business practices. Mostly the Flexradio Company just needs an attitude adjustment.

Stan K9IUQ
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2017, 09:42:58 PM »

No, no one (including me) wants Flexradio to go out of business. They need to make radios that the average ham actually wants to buy. For Instance SDR radios with knobs at at a value packed price.. And they need to change some of their anti-customer business practices. Mostly the Flexradio Company just needs an attitude adjustment.

Stan K9IUQ

And, apparently, a rather large cash infusion to stay afloat...
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: September 11, 2017, 10:03:16 PM »

Stan K9IUQ

Could not agree with yo more Stan. What is smarmy is that it would be very simple and inexpensive to set up an escrow to protect the deposits. The way Flex danced and did not give a straight yes/no answer was very telling of the company culture. Personally, I hope they have a hit but they really need to learn to be transparent, which they are not. Interesting that this would not be allowed in the EU....
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 14 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: