The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Possible Scammer hacking a callsign WA6IKE  (Read 5169 times)
W0BKR

Ignore
« on: May 30, 2017, 11:36:38 AM »

Got a response from another site for something I have for sale:

Name: GARY TALENT
Callsign: WA6IKE
E-mail: gtalent@live.com
IP Address: 107.77.165.4  -- (Check IP at https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/107.77.165.4)

The response is:

I would like to buy,could you give me your phone so I can call you.

However, the IP is from Oregon and the guy lives in/near Sacremento (not closely related).

Did not ask for any pics, any specifics, just commits to buy up front (which I rarely encounter with amateur ops).

So, if you see the email noted from WA6IKE, you might question it.  His posting on QTH.COM for sale's IP doesn't match this one either....
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 01:43:02 PM »

Please delete.  Waiting on some more info and will post when I have something more tangible.  Thanks.
N4NLQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 02:05:44 PM »

Regarding IP addresses that don't return to the correspondent's city or town; unless you pay extra for a static IP address, you get the next address available from the Internet Service Provider's assigned group of addresses at the time you log on.  This address does not necessarily have to be even in your own state, especially if you're near the border.

I don't use static IP and I get addresses from a nearly 50 mile radius to my actual location when I log on.  My ISP is a national telephone company so they cover a lot of territory. 

Therefore a sequence of emails from the same guy can have as many different IP addresses as there are emails, each showing him in a different town or city.

Allan - N4NLQ
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 02:14:10 PM »

Repeat

Please delete.  Waiting on some more info and will post when I have something more tangible.  Thanks.
KJ6ZOL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 08:13:43 PM »

I thought I got scammed when I sent $50 for a frequency counter to a guy who I later realized had a Google-based IP. Of course, after I alerted everybody here, I got the counter within a couple days. I had to apologize to him and the board. I know that the internet isn't your grandpa's swap meet with old cigar chomping fogies with rusty pickup trucks that have the beds packed with $30 Hammarlund TX's, gathered in the parking lot of the local Moose hall. Still, it's possible to jump the gun, but that must be balanced with the prevention vs cure ratio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: