The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why one would want an amplifier  (Read 11469 times)
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2017, 10:23:15 AM »

Hey Guy,

Since I wrote that, I discovered something about the Astrons.

If each supply's 723 regulator, pin 10 are connected to each other,
the supplies will have central regulation.

Look at their RS-70. Red banana plug on the rear for paralleling.

Been a week now and both seem to be equally warm.

Getting there.

Now I have to affix a metal enclosure for the EB-104. Gotta tame that stray R.F.

Be safe. _ _ ... ... _ _

Kraus
SHORTWIRE

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2017, 08:47:41 AM »

The amplifier is not for you, it is for the people you are asking to communicate with you.

Yes, please do not confuse the two, or we would be forced to conclude that you may be related to The Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal.

It's a mistake to think that If They Can't Hear You, You Can't Hear Them. The opposite mistake is often perpetrated by The Kilowatt Crusader..  Roll Eyes
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2017, 09:00:33 AM »

An amplifier is just a tool in the ham tool chest. Along with a quiet location, the best antenna you can afford and a well performing transceiver.

I call CQ with the amp on. If the path is marginal the other party needs to turn on their amp as well. If they don' t have one,  I move on to the signal I can copy. No move science than that is needed.

Hams who are dedicated to the hobby will not only have a tower and a beam but then buy a home where they can put up a proper antenna in a quiet location.

I know some hams have spouses who think otherwise about ham radio. My first wife did not like the hobby.
AD0AR

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2017, 07:19:29 AM »

I had purchased a ALS-500 at a hamfest just on a whim that some day I could use it in my station.
  Fast forward 6 months, I was trying to make a check in on an 80M net.  No response with my 100W watt station.  I turn on the amp, first call, immediate reply with a 57 rst report.  Not all ops could hear me on the net, but I was astounded what a 350W boost did to my signal.  Ever since I've been sold-  I'm actually building a 1kw blf188xr based LDMOS amp now. 
KK4YDR

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 03, 2017, 06:33:12 PM »

I had purchased a ALS-500 at a hamfest just on a whim that some day I could use it in my station.
  Fast forward 6 months, I was trying to make a check in on an 80M net.  No response with my 100W watt station.  I turn on the amp, first call, immediate reply with a 57 rst report.  Not all ops could hear me on the net, but I was astounded what a 350W boost did to my signal.  Ever since I've been sold-  I'm actually building a 1kw blf188xr based LDMOS amp now. 

Exactly... it makes a difference when it's needed.
K1HMS

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2017, 06:36:25 AM »

If you plan to work contests you'll want an amp. Even with 1,500 watts and a good antenna if you get a good run going others will move in and start calling CQ right on top of you. With 100 watts you'll be lucky to get a run started but if you do, good luck keeping it.

Another reason for an amp; it is great fun when you are the DX station people are lining up to work. First time into So Africa it was one after another, its your run, you can rag chew if you want. Otherwise it is ...59 QRZ over and over.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2017, 09:24:32 AM »

Another reason for an amp; it is great fun when you are the DX station people are lining up to work.

I would like to quote the above quote, but without the "DX."

I never owned an amp because I couldn't afford one.  So I built an amp around a pair of 3-500Z tubes. 

The first time I put it on the air, I  swung the beam toward Europe and called CQ.  It created a pile-up from Europe until the band went out.  One station after another, calling me, a common K8, one after another and all of them saying how loud I was or how good the signal sounded.

THAT'S a feeling that you don't forget.  Another is calling and calling to a DX station that has created a pile-up and seldom ever getting through the bedlam.

THAT'S also a feeling that you don't forget!

THAT in a nut shell is "why one would want an amplifier!"

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: