The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which is the better amp? The THP HL-2.5Kfx or the HL-2500Kfx  (Read 10302 times)
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2017, 05:25:25 AM »

Do you mean to tell me I have been building my own equipment, less the transceiver and power supplies,
understanding whys and why nots and didn't need to at all.

Boy have I wasted my time. I'm gonna go get my extra license.

On 17 meters phone at 2200UTC.

Won't you join me.

Kraus

N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2017, 07:11:27 AM »

Just wondering peoples opinions.

The HL-2.5Kfx runs a pair of ARF1500s but is limited to 10M

The HL-2500Kfx runs 6x THP2933s but will do 6M

What are people's thoughts?

A very close match but the edge goes to the 2.5Kfx.
I have both Amps and I guess if I was an avid 6M fan my opinion might differ but for 160-10M the 2.5Kfx is Superior in just about every way, mainly because it's built better in every way.   It uses a solid copper heatsink that weighs a ton and a huge transformer and caps for the 50Vdc.  The 2500fx uses an aluminum heat sink and dual switching power supplies that are just able to handle 1500W.
The 2.5Kfx will hit 2200W without skipping a beat, the 2500FX should never be run beyond 1500W or you risk burning out a power supply.  The real kicker is that the 2.5Kfx is actually a much smaller amp on the desk than the 2500FX.

73s
Rob

Finally....a qualified response from an experienced THP user that has both amps.

Indeed.
K1LEM

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2017, 02:35:15 PM »

You folks realize 7000 dollars is on par and even more expensive than a several KW amplifier for FM broadcast? Whew.. as much as I am attracted to solid state of the art.. 7K No way, even if I had it.
But, each to their own, what does the XYL think of your little gift? Grin
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2017, 05:08:52 PM »

K1LEM,

Ten-Four to that. $7,000.00 for an amplifier?! Wow!

All this week I've been talking on my Alinco SR-8T, EB-104, delta loop and D-104 microphone. No one knows until I tell them.

Copper faraday shield works great.

One guy said voice OK but lacks some bass. Alrighty. I'm on it. Now experimenting with a capacitor in the D-104 to lower my voice.

And I shall re do power supplies. Three RS-35 and on RM 50 in series. Voltages set to 12.5 volts each for fifty volts. Just what
the EB-104 wants and needs.

Ranted enough.

Build it first folks.

Kraus
VR2AX

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2017, 05:59:19 PM »

All this week I've been talking on my Alinco SR-8T, EB-104, delta loop and D-104 microphone. No one knows until I tell them.

I have an Alinco SR-8E among other radios. I did a fairly detailed technical review of it which is on eham. IMO it is a good radio, well built, and good value for money. Unlike my IC-7300 and some others I don't find myself scratching my head all the time to work out what to touch or turn.

The fixed power settings might be an issue with some tetrode or solid state amps, but it would make a good match with one of the several KW broadcast amps.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2017, 05:42:36 AM »

Herr VR2AX,

RR.

If someone has issue with the SR8T, I suggest they un-issue the issue.

Amateur radio is about experimenting...try this...check that...take it apart and try something else.

Communicating? Contests? What are those Dr. FrankenKraus?

I didn't make it on the air yesterday evening but at 2200UTC Kraus will be on the air, 17 meters. Won't you join me.

Kraus
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »

Just wondering peoples opinions.

The HL-2.5Kfx runs a pair of ARF1500s but is limited to 10M

The HL-2500Kfx runs 6x THP2933s but will do 6M

What are people's thoughts?

A very close match but the edge goes to the 2.5Kfx.
I have both Amps and I guess if I was an avid 6M fan my opinion might differ but for 160-10M the 2.5Kfx is Superior in just about every way, mainly because it's built better in every way.   It uses a solid copper heatsink that weighs a ton and a huge transformer and caps for the 50Vdc.  The 2500fx uses an aluminum heat sink and dual switching power supplies that are just able to handle 1500W.
The 2.5Kfx will hit 2200W without skipping a beat, the 2500FX should never be run beyond 1500W or you risk burning out a power supply.  The real kicker is that the 2.5Kfx is actually a much smaller amp on the desk than the 2500FX.

73s
Rob

Thanks Rob,

I love my HL-2.5Kfx, it is amazingly compact and has so much reserve capacity for its rated specs its unbelievable.  At our legal limit it can run into an 8:1 SWR without even noticing (reflected power below 250W).

Picked it up for a song and whist I do miss turning knobs etc I've been there done that are there are so many other aspects of the hobby to explore.

I keep my FT-101E around for those times I feel the need to load up a PA manually Smiley

Overall, its nice to have an amp that isn't rated using 'Ameritron Specs'. 

Not knocking Ameritron; I enjoyed both of mine but the analogy goes like this.

I once had a 1980s Toyota pickup 4cyl petrol that had a max speed of 120km/h but our max legal limit was 110km/h in the bush.  Sounds fine, right?  Well no, all it took was a little bit of wind and I couldn't even do the speed limit.

Now I drive a 2010 Nissan pickup with a 4cyl turbo diesel that can do beyond 140km/h and has no problem staying at 110km/h with cruise control...

I get a 25% discount when I go to the DMV for having no demerit points / good behaviour...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 08:34:23 PM by VK3BL » Logged

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
W1JTO

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2017, 09:56:33 PM »

So I don't own either, but came close to ordering a new 2500 in November, just before THP went under.

I did buy 1500 Tuner (because it was all HRO had available) and a 1.5 Kfx AMP (which like the 1500 supporting 6m), I absolutely love this combo.

IMHO the magic of THP AMP is the matching tuners, they work perfectly, and combined with ICOM CIV are plug and play, they are really zero work once dialed in

I would get a 2.5 - to match the 1.5 tuner.  The 1500 tuners are just unavailable ... mine was one of 6 imported before the crash.

That leaves you with a 2.5 and a 1.5 tuner ...a great combo, finals are still available, and the power supply is rock solid

The 2500 uses a 6x 2933 which should loaf at full legal limit ...  But this is an new amp that didn't have time to mature

I have heard that the 2.5 finals use a toxic substance in manufacture so  something to carefully check out, if repairing.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2017, 02:25:17 AM »

So I don't own either, but came close to ordering a new 2500 in November, just before THP went under.

I did buy 1500 Tuner (because it was all HRO had available) and a 1.5 Kfx AMP (which like the 1500 supporting 6m), I absolutely love this combo.

IMHO the magic of THP AMP is the matching tuners, they work perfectly, and combined with ICOM CIV are plug and play, they are really zero work once dialed in

I would get a 2.5 - to match the 1.5 tuner.  The 1500 tuners are just unavailable ... mine was one of 6 imported before the crash.

That leaves you with a 2.5 and a 1.5 tuner ...a great combo, finals are still available, and the power supply is rock solid

The 2500 uses a 6x 2933 which should loaf at full legal limit ...  But this is an new amp that didn't have time to mature

I have heard that the 2.5 finals use a toxic substance in manufacture so  something to carefully check out, if repairing.

The only trouble with the THP tuners is that the max SWR they will tune is 4:1.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: