The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which is the better amp? The THP HL-2.5Kfx or the HL-2500Kfx  (Read 10208 times)
VK3BL

Ignore
« on: July 01, 2017, 09:40:38 PM »

Just wondering peoples opinions.

The HL-2.5Kfx runs a pair of ARF1500s but is limited to 10M

The HL-2500Kfx runs 6x THP2933s but will do 6M

What are people's thoughts?

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 05:29:56 AM »

You won't get opinions here. You'll get bias.

$6,500.00 for a single of piece amateur radio equipment. No longer is
amatuer radio that of the humble hobbyist.

We're now flashy, empty and shallow.

Kraus

VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 07:38:04 AM »

You won't get opinions here. You'll get bias.

$6,500.00 for a single of piece amateur radio equipment. No longer is
amatuer radio that of the humble hobbyist.

We're now flashy, empty and shallow.

Kraus

Kraus,

I think you'll find that by being humble and investing slowly over the years in second hand equipment (of the right condition) and then on selling your previously bought second hand gear (kept in good condition) one can build quite a nice shack.

This isn't a 1 year hobby.  This is a lifetime hobby, and good gear lasts a very very long time if treated with respect.

PS. You may need to install an attenuator in your EB-104 when driving it with your new Alinco.  The SR8T only offers 3 power levels, low 5w, medium 30w, high 100w.

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 09:20:10 AM »

J.D.,

My Bird show about 100 watts-high, 10 watts-low and the needle barely moves on
S-low, or 'supper low' as the manual says. Actually looks like near two watts.

And that's another project. I have a step attenuator and I attach it to the transceivers' outputs.
I still have my TS-450S;a ship I shall not abandon. But the problem is attenuation occurs
both directions.

If incoming signals are strong to moderately strong no problem. But...

I'm working on the faraday cage for the EB-104. 160 meter filter seems to work well. I see five hundred
watts out and reflected power nil or close to nil. And that's when the Bird is before or after the
filter.

Have fun and be safe my friend. We need you.

Kraus

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 09:23:38 AM by KC4ZGP » Logged
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 09:34:06 AM »

I find it interesting that more and more hams cannot or will not own a price of equipment that requires more work than an On/Off switch.  Tuning a tube amplifier takes about 15 seconds. Once you  write the numbers down it takes 6 seconds.  Last night I checked the hams adds and there were over 100 legal limit tube amplifiers for under $2500.

The extra  money saved on an amplifier would provide a nice used tower and beam.

As for 6 meters do you currently work the band? On 6 meters you need at least a 4 element beam above 30 feet to make any contacts. Most hams work the band a little and never come back.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 09:40:00 AM by K6AER » Logged
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 09:53:37 AM »

How about a "based-opinion"?  Wink

Anything manufactured by Tokyo Hy-Power was pure quality. From what I understand, the collapse of Japan's commercial amplifier market led to their downfall, and the amateur radio division was not enough to sustain profitability. I owned a HL-1.5kfx for seven years with zero problems, even through heavy contest use. Sold it when they went belly-up, for fear that it wouldn't be repairable should something eventually cause it to fail.

The 2500 was an upgrade of the 2.5, and was released just before THP's demise. It used newer SS finals, provided more headroom, and added 6 meters. I've only seen or heard only a few of them actually out there. If you can find one and not afraid of possible unobtainium parts, it's a great, quality amp.

As far as price, $6,500 is about (or less than) on par with other current or soon to be released legal limit SS amps. If you have the financial capability for one of these new amps, and it's what you want, why not? Who says that not being a "humble hobbyist" makes one" "flashy, empty, and hollow"? I never make it a practice to count or comment on other people's money.

KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 09:57:10 AM »

I understand that N4ATS who is an FL-7000 expert will work on THP stuff. The only thing that may be an issue is parts availability but I'll bet he can find workarounds.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 10:14:48 AM »

Given that THP went belly up some time ago I would not invest a lot in it unless you are real good with making your own repairs. It is not that it was a poor quality unit but rather because there is no OEM support for it

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 11:27:11 AM »

K6AER, JX,

I too wonder what's with the automatic-ness of ham radio. All the fun is turning knobs,
flipping switches, cussing.

My EB-104 is quite the manual-op. I have to check voltages, connect the filter, the matcher,
the 'Bird'. By the time it's all connected, I fall asleep. And please don't somebody say, "A factory
built amplifier will make it easier." No it won't! Boy oh boy! I have fun.

Kraus
N2SR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 12:08:38 PM »

Buy them both.

If no one is doing it that way, there is a probably a very good reason.
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 02:36:45 PM »

I find it interesting that more and more hams cannot or will not own a price of equipment that requires more work than an On/Off switch.  Tuning a tube amplifier takes about 15 seconds. Once you  write the numbers down it takes 6 seconds.  Last night I checked the hams adds and there were over 100 legal limit tube amplifiers for under $2500.

Its an academic question, as I own a HL-2.5Kfx, and am never likely to own the HL-2500FX.  I also did not spend more than your suggested budget to acquire one in mint condition with box, and will never have to worry about a bad tube again.

You assume too much in your first statement - I love tube amps.  In an ideal world I'd own an Alpha 87A or an OM Power 4000, heck even a Henry 8K.

The simple fact is in VK unless you want an AL-811 or FL-2100B, you take what you can find on the market.  My previous amps were the AL-811 and AL-572.

As for the THP, well its unbelievable; I can leave it on all day every day without worry of tubes going soft, and change bands remotely from work etc to chase DX.  It only uses 2 MOSFETs, which are both still available.

K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 02:41:48 PM »

Why is everyone so afraid of repairing a solid state amplifier? The circuits involved are not very complicated. Basic transistor theory is all that is needed.

Given that THP went belly up some time ago I would not invest a lot in it unless you are real good with making your own repairs. It is not that it was a poor quality unit but rather because there is no OEM support for it

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 06:28:24 AM »

GWK,

We builders are shrinking in numbers.

I just finished my EB-104 foot pedal. I got tired of having to hold down the relay with a wooden stick
to transmit 500 of raw RF power. Actually it's not raw. It goes through my 'homebrewed' low-pass filter.

The foot pedal is made of a windows blinds slat. Hinged with tape and a nut/bolt to keep the halves
from slipping. The spring is a fat sponge leftover when we laid ceramic tiles. A micro switch
installed and a wooden stump to keep me from smashing the switch.

Hokey, tacky and hokey says the wife. That means I created a thing of beauty.

Soon, my copper sheeting arrives. I'll finish the EB-104's faraday cloche.

Kraus
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 06:48:07 AM »

Why is everyone so afraid of repairing a solid state amplifier? The circuits involved are not very complicated. Basic transistor theory is all that is needed.

It is because the PA output devices themselves may become obsolete and hard to find or very expensive as these devices are still evolving and they drop older designs from production after several years. Aslo unlike a simple pull and replace tube, you have to make sure SS device is properly installed for good thermal transfer to heatsink.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 07:02:43 AM »

K6AER, JX,

I too wonder what's with the automatic-ness of ham radio. All the fun is turning knobs,
flipping switches, cussing.

My EB-104 is quite the manual-op. I have to check voltages, connect the filter, the matcher,
the 'Bird'. By the time it's all connected, I fall asleep. And please don't somebody say, "A factory
built amplifier will make it easier." No it won't! Boy oh boy! I have fun.

Kraus

There is still a lot of nobs to turn adjusting DSP filters for best reception or voice compressor for best transmission. Amplifier should be just an extension of your tranceiver, fully self controlled and managed. It does not matter if it uses tubes or transistors in final.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: