The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which is the better amp? The THP HL-2.5Kfx or the HL-2500Kfx  (Read 10177 times)
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 08:41:11 AM »

... As for 6 meters do you currently work the band? On 6 meters you need at least a 4 element beam above 30 feet to make any contacts. Most hams work the band a little and never come back.

I beg to differ. I've been playing on 6M since I was in high school (in the 60's) when I used a Lafayette HA-650 1W AM radio and a squalo on Dad's chimney in Maryland. I often worked into the mid-west, and even once into Cuba.  Now I have a K3, but just a dipole on my chimney.  I easily work both coasts from Texas when the band is open. A beam is great if you are a serious 6M operator, but not necessary for casual operators. 6M is one of my favorite bands.

Phil - AD5X
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 08:43:02 AM »

There is still a lot of nobs to turn adjusting DSP filters for best reception or voice compressor for best transmission. Amplifier should be just an extension of your tranceiver, fully self controlled and managed. It does not matter if it uses tubes or transistors in final.

If you do not need to know how to use a amp without everything being automatic exactly what is "amateur radio" about it? More glorified PnP CB than ham radio. I guess it goes with new lack of real knowledge and skills requirement to get a ticket. Lets hope that they do not reduce requirements for other "trades"

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 09:13:45 AM »

There is still a lot of nobs to turn adjusting DSP filters for best reception or voice compressor for best transmission. Amplifier should be just an extension of your tranceiver, fully self controlled and managed. It does not matter if it uses tubes or transistors in final.

If you do not need to know how to use a amp without everything being automatic exactly what is "amateur radio" about it? More glorified PnP CB than ham radio. I guess it goes with new lack of real knowledge and skills requirement to get a ticket. Lets hope that they do not reduce requirements for other "trades"

No different than yesteryear's transceivers and transmitters that used tube PA's, requiring Pi-net tuning. It's called advances in technology. I had a SS amp, and now a manual tune tube amp...changing bands and tune-up requires all of about 10-15 seconds. No big deal. Plenty of "old school" technically capable hams are now using SS amps. Whatever meets your needs.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2017, 10:59:54 AM »

Hey JX,

Been using my Alinco SR8T with my D-104 and EB-104. Hmmm...I must like 104.

Anyway, I had to read the SR8T's instructions...a lot. Many buttons to find and push.

It ain't as simple a transceiver to operate as I thought. Maybe one should display
competence by setting up an SR8T to get a license.

Question Pool:

1. Set power to 10 watts and deactivate the speech compression.

2. Select a frequency.

3. Solder two wires together.

ETC.

Kraus
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2017, 11:15:10 AM »

It's about a lot more than tuning up an amplifier. Not sure why you paint with such a broad brush. There are lots of appliance operators out there, and that's okay too. But many new hams seem to be doing a lot of things other than keying a mic for SSB contacts. How about satellites, EME, building antennas, and SOTA, to name just a few. Your negative colored glasses are showing again...
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2017, 02:30:25 PM »

It takes a lot of knowledge and effort to make modem, transceiver, amplifier, antenna coupler and other components in the chain to work smoothly together when they are all from different brands. But when all things are set, amplifier function should be completely transparent for operator, creating an illusion of having 1.5kW output from right from transceiver. At work when I have to repeat any task more than 10 times in a row, I automate it. I change operating band/frequency more than that each time I on the air.  That is why for me all should "magically" happen on its own when I USE my radio. Even 15 seconds (actually more than that) it takes to manually tune tube amplifier it too much when you try to work DX.

K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 02:49:35 PM »

Why is everyone so afraid of repairing a solid state amplifier? The circuits involved are not very complicated. Basic transistor theory is all that is needed.

It is because the PA output devices themselves may become obsolete and hard to find or very expensive as these devices are still evolving and they drop older designs from production after several years. Aslo unlike a simple pull and replace tube, you have to make sure SS device is properly installed for good thermal transfer to heatsink.

It still does not make sense to me. I have a HL-1.2Kfx and have a couple of sets of finals on hand. I have had the amp for a pretty long time and it is pretty bullet proof. I may never need them (fingers crossed)

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
AC2RY

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2017, 03:32:16 PM »

Why is everyone so afraid of repairing a solid state amplifier? The circuits involved are not very complicated. Basic transistor theory is all that is needed.

It is because the PA output devices themselves may become obsolete and hard to find or very expensive as these devices are still evolving and they drop older designs from production after several years. Aslo unlike a simple pull and replace tube, you have to make sure SS device is properly installed for good thermal transfer to heatsink.

It still does not make sense to me. I have a HL-1.2Kfx and have a couple of sets of finals on hand. I have had the amp for a pretty long time and it is pretty bullet proof. I may never need them (fingers crossed)

With modern gear main problem is availability of software if/when processor chips need replacement. Transistors used as finals are commonly available even 10 years after day they were discontinued. And unlike tubes, their shelf life measures in decades.
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2017, 04:33:58 PM »

My tetrode amplifiers typically run 30 + years on ceramic tuses. Not so on glass envelope tubes.  Although the commerical broadcast  Industry has gone solid state most hams don'the have that kind of budget.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2017, 04:25:52 AM »

Even 15 seconds (actually more than that) it takes to manually tune tube amplifier it too much when you try to work DX.

This is lame. Even if I jump bands I can use preset and get pretty close in a few second but never seen a DX that this was a deal kill. The demand for automated amps goes with the increased lack of knowledge of those that tickets are given to these days. That and a bit of laziness. There was a time when most upper class hams and especially extra class hams knew how to properly tune and use a amp due to technical back ground and knowledge required. Todays plug and play ham lack skills and knowledge so answer is to automate ? Something is being lost here...

K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 06:35:24 AM »

Even 15 seconds (actually more than that) it takes to manually tune tube amplifier it too much when you try to work DX.

This is lame. Even if I jump bands I can use preset and get pretty close in a few second but never seen a DX that this was a deal kill. The demand for automated amps goes with the increased lack of knowledge of those that tickets are given to these days. That and a bit of laziness. There was a time when most upper class hams and especially extra class hams knew how to properly tune and use a amp due to technical back ground and knowledge required. Todays plug and play ham lack skills and knowledge so answer is to automate ? Something is being lost here...

Do you still use a flip phone to text, having to press "7" four times to type "S"? Still using a spark-gap transmitter? Just messin' with you Cheesy. You don't need a technical background to manually tune a tube amp. You just follow instructions like anything else. I know plenty of very smart, technologically savvy hams that had tube amps, and now own SS ones. Doesn't mean you're lazy or lack skills. Technology is changing. It's just a matter of choice...whatever meets your needs, and what you can afford.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 07:02:05 AM »

Hooray for automation.

JX,

Calm down man. This is just a hobby.

I don't walk to work. I drive my Ford.
I don't add or subtract on paper. I use a calculator.
Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

On 20 meters phone, 2200UTC. Join me won't you.

Kraus
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2017, 07:38:36 AM »

This is just a hobby.

As I recall ham radio was based on experimental proper knowledge was required to use equipment that had different standards that for unskilled users like CB and business band. Today the standards for required knowledge and skill for ticket is a joke. The only thing that really separates today's ham radio is easy to past multiple guess test that question and answer pool that is widely available and pocket book. Soon even easy test will be gone too. Perhaps if many had had tickets for nearly 50 years like myself you would clearly see how the hobby has degraded to little more than a modern CB.  Lets hope that they do not make it as easy to become a police officer or a doctor with reduced standards.

KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 09:18:26 AM »

...and it's still just a hobby...

I'm on 20 meters phone this evening. Won't you join me.

Kraus
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2017, 10:09:05 AM »

...and it's still just a hobby...

Well CB was a hobby too. Enter new CB

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: