bad seller

(1/3) > >>

stephen a elswick:
I recently made my first purchase on QTH.com. Unfortunately, it was a mistake.  I went to the site of Jennifer Dishman, call sign K9JAL, and found where she had posted a Kenwood TS440S and Astron 20 amp power supply for sale for $400.  When I contacted Ms. Dishman by phone, Mike Elder, call sign WJ9E, responded.  In fact, he was always the person that answered my texts and calls. In the beginning of our conversations, when I informed Mr. Elder that I was interested in purchasing the items, he informed me that depsite having others interested, he would sell the equipment to me. He stated that he would like to have the money as soon as possible and requested a postal money order.  He said he had no paypal, checkings, or savings account.  This should have been my first warning. However, I sent the money in form of a postal money order in a UPS next day air envelope on a Friday.  He received the money on Monday, but did not send my radio out until Thursday, despite multiple calls and texts.  I received the equipment this past Monday.  He had previously informed me that the radio only had a couple of scratches.  The radio I received had multiple scratches, a chip in the face plate, 3 screws missing, and a 12 amp power supply.  I have made two calls and left numerous texts to his cell phone since receiving the equipment, but his phone is now disconnected.  Even though the radio turns on and receives, I am unable to make contact with anyone.  I find this very odd, which makes me unsure about the quality of the radio, overall.  I let my trust of this site get the better of me.  I have learned a difficult lesson to not trust this site nor the individuals selling equipment on here.  What a disappointment and a complete waste of $400, which didn't come easy.  Buyers beware!!!!
--Steve (kf4qag)

Timothy S. Kraus:

Oh boy. Sad it happened.

Where about are you calling? Have you a meter to observe the output?

I hang on twenty meters and I get the same...no answers...then someone
answers. I almost react as if the voice is a ghost sound. Amazed I hear anyone.

Let's meet and see what your transceiver is doing.

Kraus

Bryan Cowan:
It sounds like you got burned, but it's possible your Kenwood might be fixable. IIRC the 440 is a hybrid rig with vacuum tubes in the driver and final output circuits. It's possible that the tubes are bad. But nevertheless, definitely a bad seller. Sounds like you're a new ham, so chalk it up to a learning experience.  :(

eric j cuevas:
Quote from: KF4QAG on July 03, 2017, 01:24:26 PM

I recently made my first purchase on QTH.com. Unfortunately, it was a mistake.  I went to the site of Jennifer Dishman, call sign K9JAL, and found where she had posted a Kenwood TS440S and Astron 20 amp power supply for sale for $400.  When I contacted Ms. Dishman by phone, Mike Elder, call sign WJ9E, responded.  In fact, he was always the person that answered my texts and calls. In the beginning of our conversations, when I informed Mr. Elder that I was interested in purchasing the items, he informed me that depsite having others interested, he would sell the equipment to me. He stated that he would like to have the money as soon as possible and requested a postal money order.  He said he had no paypal, checkings, or savings account.  This should have been my first warning. However, I sent the money in form of a postal money order in a UPS next day air envelope on a Friday.  He received the money on Monday, but did not send my radio out until Thursday, despite multiple calls and texts.  I received the equipment this past Monday.  He had previously informed me that the radio only had a couple of scratches.  The radio I received had multiple scratches, a chip in the face plate, 3 screws missing, and a 12 amp power supply.  I have made two calls and left numerous texts to his cell phone since receiving the equipment, but his phone is now disconnected.  Even though the radio turns on and receives, I am unable to make contact with anyone.  I find this very odd, which makes me unsure about the quality of the radio, overall.  I let my trust of this site get the better of me.  I have learned a difficult lesson to not trust this site nor the individuals selling equipment on here.  What a disappointment and a complete waste of $400, which didn't come easy.  Buyers beware!!!!
--Steve (kf4qag)

Sorry this happened to you, but your not the only one that's been burned, or attempted to be burned. Not all sellers on any particular classified web site are bad, but there are signs to look for to increase your chances of a good deal. I'm not letting the two bad apples in my experience ruin my dealings in the future cause that would be a win for them.

If you hear them on the air expose them there also. I know I have and will continue to do so.

73 and good luck

Brian Woloshin:
Quote from: KJ6ZOL on July 04, 2017, 09:25:58 AM

It sounds like you got burned, but it's possible your Kenwood might be fixable. IIRC the 440 is a hybrid rig with vacuum tubes in the driver and final output circuits. It's possible that the tubes are bad. But nevertheless, definitely a bad seller. Sounds like you're a new ham, so chalk it up to a learning experience.  :(

The TS-440S is an all solid state radio.  It is also over 25 years old. 

Sorry you were burned but that is a pretty hefty price, even for a mint one - parts are now hard to find. 

I sell some items for my club and SK estates - will only sell face to face and for cash.  Too many bad operators out here. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page