The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Array Solutions Amplifier Repair  (Read 8031 times)
K6AER

Ignore
« on: August 22, 2017, 12:03:10 PM »

About a month ago I was traveling down the road from my house when a saw a lightning strike the top wire of the power poles. At that point, the neighborhood went dark. I pulled into the driveway and started the generator and we had lights and a happy wife. A few days later I went into the shack and fired up the station only to find my OM2000+ amplifier was not happy with me for leaving it plugged in.  We had a massive surge event. I call Array Solutions and they walked be through things to check but it became apparent it would require factory service to make it well again. For the next few weeks I would be QRP. God, I felt like a 10-year-old novice again.

I boxed the amplifier up in the original shipping container and sent it Fed-X to Texas. It arrived just fine and Jay at Array solutions said they would be starting on the repair at the end of the week. About a week later it was repaired and ready for the trip home. Array Solutions Technician had called and went through the repair process and made sure there were no questions or issues on the amplifier.  Jay had repaired the amplifier under warranty even though the failure was not a product defect but Mother Nature kicking up her heals with a lightning strike. The power supply board had some burned areas due to the line surge.  

At this point let me stress that Array Solutions repaired the amplifier under warranty even though it was not a product defect issue. I am very impressed. Looking at the inside of the amplifier you cannot tell it was ever worked on. Looks and runs like new. My hats off to Jay Terleski and his team at Array Solutions.
KA3S

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 03:05:23 PM »

Mike,

Glad this worked out favorably for you.   Had the same thing happen to my new Acom two years ago.   No warranty coverage offered, with a bill  well north of $600.  The real dagger was that I had to call a few weeks after I was told the amp was repaired, to inquire about its whereabouts.  Found out it was boxed up and sitting in a corner, waiting to be shipped.    Ymmv....
WX0B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 05:17:24 PM »

To KA3S,
I tried to call you to iron this out but you did not call back. So I have to respond on this forum.  Not my desired way.
Robert,  Your amplifier had severe lightning Damage.  ACOM would not cover the damage under "their warranty policy". We tried.  OM Power on the other hand did respond to our request with Mike to cover his amp under their warranty policy. We can only do what the manufacturer allows.

But.....We, Array Solutions, worked closely with you and remember your Insurance company.  I think you will agree that you came out a bit ahead on this repair with the Insurance.  We generated the lightning damage affidavit to meet your request and you were pretty happy with the repair.  We even credited your credit card for $500 once you got your insurance deal work out. 
Also we did not charge you the full cost of hourly rate for the 7.5 hours it took to fix your amplifier.  and Parts were $212.00.  All in all I think we deserve a bit more positive response from you then you are portraying here. 

You also did not wait 3 weeks to get your amplifier, we have the ship dates and repair dates archived in your record.  It was delayed exactly 11 days.  There are guys out there that we repair their amps that have been waiting 4-6 months to get their repairs done and finally give up with that vendor and have their amps sent to us.  We try to turn them around in less then a week. But severly damaged amps take a little longer.

In summary, I look forward to you calling me back to discuss what your unhappy about so we can understand your comments better, or at least giving us some credit on this forum for working with you to come out whole on this heavy lightning damaged repair.  - Thank you, Jay, WX0B Array Solutions

K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 07:05:52 PM »

To KA3S,
I tried to call you to iron this out but you did not call back. So I have to respond on this forum.  Not my desired way.
Robert,  Your amplifier had severe lightning Damage.  ACOM would not cover the damage under "their warranty policy". We tried.  OM Power on the other hand did respond to our request with Mike to cover his amp under their warranty policy. We can only do what the manufacturer allows.

But.....We, Array Solutions, worked closely with you and remember your Insurance company.  I think you will agree that you came out a bit ahead on this repair with the Insurance.  We generated the lightning damage affidavit to meet your request and you were pretty happy with the repair.  We even credited your credit card for $500 once you got your insurance deal work out. 
Also we did not charge you the full cost of hourly rate for the 7.5 hours it took to fix your amplifier.  and Parts were $212.00.  All in all I think we deserve a bit more positive response from you then you are portraying here. 

You also did not wait 3 weeks to get your amplifier, we have the ship dates and repair dates archived in your record.  It was delayed exactly 11 days.  There are guys out there that we repair their amps that have been waiting 4-6 months to get their repairs done and finally give up with that vendor and have their amps sent to us.  We try to turn them around in less then a week. But severly damaged amps take a little longer.

In summary, I look forward to you calling me back to discuss what your unhappy about so we can understand your comments better, or at least giving us some credit on this forum for working with you to come out whole on this heavy lightning damaged repair.  - Thank you, Jay, WX0B Array Solutions

WX0B,

Some people can never be pleased. They will complain for no reason just to hear their own voice. I am sure you did the best for your customer.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
KA3S

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 10:32:37 PM »

Jay WX0B,

I just arrived home at midnight to find your voice mail, as I was at work all day.  I then logged onto this site to see that you, regrettably, posted here instead of waiting for me to get back to you.   That's all fine.

I hesitated on responding to Mike's review of your company with the repair of his amp.  However, my post was only to depict that not all repairs (within warranty) should be expected to be handled like his.  I'm glad that you pointed out to everyone how the process works, and that your company does not have the final say in how things are handled, based on different manufacturers policy.

Never complained about how long the amp was in your possession, nor how long it took to get it back. Just hoped it could be fixed.   Was most pleased that your tech was able to make it like new.  My "dagger" comment revolved around  the fact that I got a call that the amp was repaired, and I paid the bill in full, including return shipping costs.   As days passed, I'd anxiously call my wife from work to see if it had arrived.  When I continually got a negative response, I called to check on its status, after "a few weeks."   Never said anything about three weeks, and as you said, delayed about eleven days, before it was shipped.   That, in my book, is roughly a few weeks.

But my intention was never to inflame hatred, slam your company, or elicit cheerleading.   Only giving an honest assessment on how I perceived my lightning-enhanced ordeal went.  While I hold Array Solutions in high regard, I realize not all transactions can go as smoothly as silk.   But the greatest thing is that she's sitting here in the shack purring like a kitten after being resurrected from near death.   And for that I am happy, and most grateful!   Fully "whole" and QRT on this....

Rob

K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 08:08:05 AM »

Nice to see that a vendor monitors these forums, and is concerned about customer service. I purchased an Acom 1000 from Array Solutions, had a problem in warranty, and was very satisfied with the repair, communication, and the time to get it back.

73, Bob K7JQ
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 05:39:57 AM »

Glad you set the record straight Jay.  As a longtime Array Solutions customer I knew that there had to be more to the story.  A great deal more as it turned out.   (-:

Howard
WX0B

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 08:51:42 AM »

I think we're fine now Rob, thank you for the clarification.  Also we would be honored to service the amp if it ever needs repair again. To avoid delays, we have a system to keep amps flowing in and out now as we are repairing 3-4 amps a week.  See https://www.arraysolutions.com/amplifiers-rf/acom-amplifier-service

73 - Jay, WX0B
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: