The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rusty Junk on eBay  (Read 21894 times)
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2017, 09:21:36 AM »

A heavy wall box & bubble wrap is $25 from U-Haul. It is simply expensive to pack a larger radio.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2017, 10:06:57 AM »

This is just an absurd original post.   If you don't like any particular item for sale on eBay, then stop looking at it!   It's called a market place.  Nobody controls what is offered, and you are not required to buy something you don't want.

If you want polished, operating museum pieces, then only frequent sales points that cater to that crowd.  

Gosh! You're such a hard ass. You're on the verge of being politically incorrect young man.

You're supposed to sympathize with him or her and say, 'There, there. It'll be OK.

Oh and by the way, could you add a few more dents to that HQ-180 we discussed? I ain't paying $15.00 for a piece of non-junk.

Kraus

VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2017, 08:27:24 PM »

yea, but the original post could be interpreted to mean that the stuff looks nice in fuzzy out of focus auction photos, but in reality it is covered in flood sewage and corrosion.

73, Ed VE3WGO
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2017, 08:47:45 PM »

yea, but the original post could be interpreted to mean that the stuff looks nice in fuzzy out of focus auction photos, but in reality it is covered in flood sewage and corrosion.

73, Ed VE3WGO

1 of many possible interpretations. And the standard is subjective.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
W2WDX

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2017, 09:38:07 AM »

I think there are several reasons for this recent trend. First, I can say from personal experience that restoring and selling on eBay is not profitable. The margins are crazy tight, so many of the sellers who did restore radios have diminished to the point of being non-existent anymore.

Second, add to the fact that if you buy something on eBay, all you have to do is claim it's damaged, send the box back full of rocks (to make it weigh the same) and get a full refund. This happened to me more times than I care to admit. eBay will always refund the buyer in this case because the only basis they use for the refund is the return shipping tracking. This is the only proof they require. This also eats away at profit.

So now, all you have are estate scavengers/flippers. They look up an old price or use each others asking prices as comparative, and put junk up for the same price as a restored radio. As a restorer who went to estate sales I can tell you that most radios I found where not even restorable, and for parts they were even more questionable, at any price. Most times if saw something that had a hardware part or something of interest to me, I'd wait till the end and make an offer. Many times they would just give it away at that point. So many of those rust clunkers you see on eBay for $200 could have been gotten by the scavengers for pennies. Think about that!!!

However, I will say that since most of the true restorers have left eBay almost entirely, the average price for most things have gone down by about 30%. I was getting a minimum of $1200 for R-390a fully restored to new condition. Now you can get the same for 40% less. Same thing is happening for SP-600's. Collins has pretty stayed the same, especially the top-tier receivers like the 75A-4.

I have less respect for those who sell at Hamfests and use eBay as some sort of market indicator. That's just ignorance. Buyer perception is that eBay is over-priced, so marketing that way at a fester is just stupid. First, they are not the same market, second the basic rule is price to what the market you sell at can bear and not a penny more.

On a similar note, the tube market is insane. The same exact NOS 12AX7 can go from $5.00 to $200. Crazy. This pissed me off, so I did something nasty. The 7199, which was used in several audio products over the years was really becoming scarce, so its price skyrocketed. Of course I knew there was an alternative, a 6GH8 which was the same tube with a different pin configuration. So I designed a little adapter which was a tiny pc board with a socket soldered to it. I sold the adapter for half the going price of the 7199 (big mark-up there), and included a "free" Siemens 6GH8. I got a few hundred NOS 6GH8 in bulk for about .85 cents per tube. Within 6 months, the market collapsed on the 7199. Yeah it was mean, but the audiofools who pay silly prices, and the scoundrels who sell to them at ridiculous prices learned a little lesson. That being, watch out for alternatives.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:41:04 AM by W2WDX » Logged

W3TTT

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2017, 09:56:29 AM »

I agree, hams...often think that even when it's worn out it's worth more than what they originally paid for it...

I have often found that when I received a used piece of equipment from an online sale or eBay auction, that it looks less fantastic than the photos made it seem.  Nothing wrong or misleading about the photos...

I shake my head in dismay when a seller lists an item and says it is untested...

I sold a FT-520 on eBay, and listed it at "buy it now" $250.  It went in perhaps minutes.  Was my price too low or was someone eager?
I have another rig advertised here on eHam.  So far, no takers.  For the 520 and the current rig, I have videos posted with me operating the rig.  Shows that it indeed does work. 

W3TTT
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2017, 11:29:50 AM »

Some folks might be in the market for a specific part, For instance, they might just want the
power amplifier.

A madman might be wanting to get four transceivers, combine their amplifiers and make a
FrankenKraus kind of amplifier. MMmwwwwwaaaa!!!

If the seller senses said madman, they can set the price and a madman would meet it.

B.T.W. I am not said madman. I was talking about my friend the madman.

Kraus

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2017, 07:22:49 AM »

I gave a friend 4 NIB military 12AU7 and four new unboxed 12AX7. He told me that on epay, he could have got around £1600 ($2080) for them......I don't know who is the madder, the idiots who will pay that much or the ones that demand that sort of money!

He wanted them to restore (and use on air with a mechanical teleprinter) an ex USN teletype converter....and they cost me nothing anyway.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2017, 09:02:10 AM »

RZP,

Price paid is driven by how bad someone wants something. More is never enough for us humans.

It's the element of greed.

Are you a 160 meters Morse-kind-of-person?

Kraus

G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2017, 10:07:15 AM »

When I get the station back together, I can get on 160 on Morse.  I actually haven't had chance to operate at all this year.......
W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2017, 10:25:36 AM »

On a similar note, the tube market is insane. The same exact NOS 12AX7 can go from $5.00 to $200. Crazy. This pissed me off, so I did something nasty. The 7199, which was used in several audio products over the years was really becoming scarce, so its price skyrocketed. Of course I knew there was an alternative, a 6GH8 which was the same tube with a different pin configuration. So I designed a little adapter which was a tiny pc board with a socket soldered to it. I sold the adapter for half the going price of the 7199 (big mark-up there), and included a "free" Siemens 6GH8. I got a few hundred NOS 6GH8 in bulk for about .85 cents per tube. Within 6 months, the market collapsed on the 7199. Yeah it was mean, but the audiofools who pay silly prices, and the scoundrels who sell to them at ridiculous prices learned a little lesson. That being, watch out for alternatives.

The 6GH8 is not the same tube, electrically. It is a medium mu dual triode. 

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/049/6/6GH8.pdf

Also, that tube was not known for being the most reliable device, at least in TV service, which it was
designed for.

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102835

EBay is the last place on earth I would buy any tube used by audiophiles.

Pete
W2WDX

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2017, 07:04:26 AM »

The 6GH8 is not the same tube, electrically. It is a medium mu dual triode. 

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/049/6/6GH8.pdf

Also, that tube was not known for being the most reliable device, at least in TV service, which it was
designed for.

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102835

EBay is the last place on earth I would buy any tube used by audiophiles.

Pete

Well maybe you should compare.

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/049/7/7199.pdf

Seems the same to me, just different pinout. And yeah, they are a pretty fragile tube. Siemens and RCA were about the only good ones. Point is ... I crashed a stupid market on 7199 that were selling as high as $700 per tube.

W1BR

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2017, 07:36:08 AM »

Ah,  okay... I though you were comparing it to the 12AX7; the topic was getting twisted around.

Another tube whose price was ruined by the audiophiles is the lowly 6DJ8.  Even to point where they are stripping them from old test gear and selling for obscene prices.

Pete
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:39:10 AM by K1ZJH » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: