The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: All-American Five  (Read 23488 times)
KD1I

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2017, 03:15:11 PM »

Glenn, I fully agree. An isolation transformer is still the best insurance along with knowledge and experience. And as was mentioned earlier, don't work when tired or after a few beers.   Best 73 All Around, Jim
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2017, 05:07:19 AM »

I replaced an AM-FM SS radio in kitchen with a 1960s tube type AM-FM radio. The Tube AM-FM was bought as NOS. The tube radio provides much better sound.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2017, 01:44:34 PM »

hot chassis AA5 in the kitchen, what could go wrong?

most chassis have some room in the case for a little isolation transformer.  they are still availiable.
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2017, 05:33:17 AM »

Just got lucky. Found & bought a 1967 AM-FM tube type stereo table radio. Likely last year of these tube type radios. Most were SS design before 1967.
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2017, 03:29:49 PM »

For what it's worth --- in case nobody mentioned here (I didn't see any reference to it, anyway), the "Beginner & Novice" section of QST in the early 70's, I believe, featured a piece entitled, "New Life For The All-American 5."

Cool. For those interested, it is in the June 1971 issue of QST (available in the ARRL archive if you are a member).

The article explains how to adapt the AA5 for a ham radio band:

(1) Add an isolation transformer to deal with the "live chassis" issue.

(2) The AA5's loop antenna is replaced with the secondary of a BC band antenna coil (I have one in my junkbox: the Miller A-320-A). The primary is connected to a homebrewed ham-band converter with three transistors: RF amp, crystal-controlled local oscillator, and mixer. The result is a double-conversion superhet using the AA5 as a tunable second IF.

(3) To improve the lousy selectivity of a BC receiver, the AA5's IF stage is modified to be regenerative.

(4) Separately, a one-transistor BFO is added to inject into the AA5's IF stage for reception of CW/SSB signals.

"When the modifications and additions to the 'All-American Five' are completed, you'll have a receiving system that will compare favorably with many commercially built receivers costing a great deal more. In fact you'll have a darned good receiver -- and the hardest part of the job might be wired and tested and waiting for you in your attic right now."

Hmmm. I'm tempted. I'd be happier if the converter were designed around tubes rather than transistors, but vintage transistor designs can be cool too. The project calls for TR19 PNP transistors, which are still available from NTE as the NTE-159 for less than $2 each. Most of the rest of the parts are already in the junkbox, apart from the crystal. Judicious choice of frequency is important: I have some deafening AM stations at my QTH, a news station at 1330 and a Latin station somewhere above 1400.

Yeah, a bit quixotic really, but listening to my little AA5 daily, I am getting a bit tired of the fare doled out on AM radio nowadays....

If I do go ahead with this I am not sure whether it belongs here, or in the "Homebrew" section.

73 de Martin, KB1WSY
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 03:32:38 PM by KB1WSY » Logged
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2017, 07:34:45 PM »

(4) Separately, a one-transistor BFO is added

Heresy!

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: