The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sotabeams (UK) - Renaged on fully paid order  (Read 9263 times)
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« on: September 20, 2017, 08:01:13 AM »

I'm very unhappy with the service provided by Sotabeams (UK) Ltd.

I ordered one of their fibreglass telescopic masts and accessories, and paid in full using my Visa card (my payment fully cleared).

I live in Myanmar (Burma) and checked prior to my purchase that they would deliver to my country.  After confirming this on their website, I completed the order.

I then received an email stating that as I had provided a delivery address at a hotel, that they would not accept this, and would refund my order.

I immediately sent an email to explain that ALL foreigners who live in the city of Naypyidaw in Myanmar are required to live in hotels - they are not allowed to live in private houses.  I live for almost 2 years at my hotel.

Additionally, I pointed out that I had never experienced any postal delivery problems, and if the item were not delivered, I would accept the loss and cost 100%.

Sotabeams still refused to accept my order and refunded my purchase, despite my explanations.

I'm pi**ed about this company.  I work in Myanmar for many years and am doing my best to get ham radio re-activated in this country after it was banned in 1962.

I have had great support and customer service from companies such as MFJ and DX Engineering. But Sotabeams can shove their telescopic mast where the sun don't shine Smiley
WB4IVF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 10:46:29 AM »

They clearly state on their web page in large bold type that they do NOT ship to hotels, and with good reason it seems:

https://www.sotabeams.co.uk/shipping-returns/
KC1BMD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 11:49:56 AM »

I understand your disappointment but your comments are a bit harsh. I recently purchased some items from them and found them not only willing to answer all my questions but the product was well packed and shipping fast. Perhaps you could work with another ham somewhere who would be willing to order the products for you and then re-ship to you. Of course it would cost more but it might be an option if nothing else works.
W3WN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 05:58:44 AM »

Sorry OM.

They clearly state on their website that they do not ship to hotels.  You may not agree with their reasons why, but they do have legitimate reasons.

Did you tell them either before or when you placed your order that you lived (due to circumstances outside of your control) at a hotel, why, and requested an exception?  It sounds like you did not. 

IF you had, and they had agreed to ship to you after being so informed, and THEN cancelled the order, you might have a legitimate beef.  But, with all due respect, if you had not... they are well within their rights.

Telling them to "stick it" for not violating their policies is more than a bit harsh.  Pretty out of line, actually. 

IMHO, you owe them a retraction and an apology
WA6KYR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 09:22:38 AM »

I have used SOTABEAMs and I find them great to deal with.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 03:46:19 AM »

If you've lived there for 2 years, surely there is a local you could have it shipped to.  Failure on your part to read the small print isn't a failure on SOTABEAM's part.
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 04:39:33 AM »

When I was living in a small apartment, I had some large orders shipped to my workplace receiving dock instead of my residence. Is this an option for you?
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 07:07:57 AM »

Back on topic...
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 12:21:54 AM »

Most suppliers will only ship to your registered card address, unless the hotel is your address as per your credit card, then it's going to be an issue for most companies.

There are lots of suppliers of telescopic fibreglass poles, they are widely used for fishing. The SOTA poles are just fishing poles, so you might be able to obtain one locally for a lot less money.

73 Dave
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 10:54:43 AM »

SOTAbeams UK have been superb with me, doing exactly what they said that they would do or better - which , by-the-way, they did in your case also.  They did not ship to a hotel, exactly as their website clearly says .  SOTAbeams.uk quickly gave you a full refund; it's not what you wanted (I understand that)  but they did as they quite publicly promised.

73 de Ray  ..._  ._
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 10:59:11 AM by W7ASA » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: