The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Net Neutrality and Ham Radio  (Read 12696 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 03:11:07 AM »

The devil is  in the details and it is all about controlling content and media in future. If you read the fine print they are now allowed to throttle or even block your access as long as they tell you they are doing it which makes it legal under new rules.If you believe this change will benefit consumers you are sadly mistaken.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 10:18:08 AM »

We only had the current rule since Obama's reign, before that it was not "neutral". Nowadays Netflix uses much of all the bandwidth at peak, Obama just gave them a free ride. Speech is already being shut down by biased operators on Facebook. Conservative sites get shut down because a lot of commies complain and there is little redress, net neutrality is not going to affect that situation.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2017, 11:16:39 AM »

We only had the current rule since Obama's reign, before that it was not "neutral". Nowadays Netflix uses much of all the bandwidth at peak, Obama just gave them a free ride. Speech is already being shut down by biased operators on Facebook. Conservative sites get shut down because a lot of commies complain and there is little redress, net neutrality is not going to affect that situation.

Been drinking the koolaid huh. The instituted because big player were playing games with bandwidth. You are totally dreaming if you think it can self regulate today as today dogs of leashes in major industries run wild searching for more money. Big telecomms have been lobbying so they can charge more and play favorites for even more profit.  The way you bring down a Democracy is start by controlling media and news so only your view gets out and letting the few control internet traffic they could easily do just that over time. Maybe you want them to let electric companies charge what ever they want too. Not the same you say? Not really, they are both vital today.

I think the news summed it up nicely today, 3 people decided yesterday against what the large majority of 323 million people in USA really wanted? Why? Special interest profit and control and not for innovation and lower prices duh.... Writing is on the wall were this is all headed if unchecked.

NEVBEN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2017, 10:58:53 PM »

I see the FCC assuring their audience that "consumers" will be protected, but I simply do not see telecommunications as merely a service for consumers.  Some people see an internet without net neutrality as a network with paid "fastlanes" and preferential treatment for paid services whether the provider pays (like Google pays Comcast to ensure Youtube is fast), or the consumer pays (extra to make sure Netflix is fast even at 4K).

I see something different.  I see Amazon offering free "internet" service to Prime members.  How much do you pay per month for Internet access?  If Amazon offered something close for free, would you take it?  Of course, Amazon-net is going to work on their terms.  Prime video instead of Netflix.  Facebook, Twitter and Youtube might work, but eBay and Walmart.com?  Well, would you be willing to give them up for "free" access?  If you really needed them, you could probably use your phone.

There's about 100 million broadband subscriptions in the US today.  63 million Prime members.  Let's say Amazon gets at least 50 million users of "Prime-net" through partnerships with existing broadband providers, and grows to over 100 million Prime members.  At some point, you have to say that Amazon knows more about you than Facebook does.  Those kind of adoption rates and the deeper proliferation of their services (all consumer items including clothing, groceries, electronics, household, plus Echo and Alexa devices throughout the home) would make it a far more valuable property to the intelligence or national security community than what Facebook is now.  Facebook's propaganda-sharing platform could easily slip into My Space status.  The nail in the coffin would be Facebook dropped from Primenet.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 11:01:57 PM by NEVBEN » Logged
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 05:39:06 AM »

Been drinking the koolaid huh. The instituted because big player were playing games with bandwidth. You are totally dreaming if you think it can self regulate today as today dogs of leashes in major industries run wild searching for more money. Big telecomms have been lobbying so they can charge more and play favorites for even more profit.  The way you bring down a Democracy is start by controlling media and news so only your view gets out and letting the few control internet traffic they could easily do just that over time. Maybe you want them to let electric companies charge what ever they want too. Not the same you say? Not really, they are both vital today.

I think the news summed it up nicely today, 3 people decided yesterday against what the large majority of 323 million people in USA really wanted? Why? Special interest profit and control and not for innovation and lower prices duh.... Writing is on the wall were this is all headed if unchecked.

"start by controlling media and news"... where have you been since the inception of TV? I have yet to see a conservative finish a full sentence on the daytime TV shows lol

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 05:12:13 AM »

"start by controlling media and news"... where have you been since the inception of TV? I have yet to see a conservative finish a full sentence on the daytime TV shows lol

But their presence/influence/control has been limited in past. Today there are those that want to be able make the "truth" what they say it is, not what it really is and being able to control internet is a big step toward that.

W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 06:04:05 AM »

Today there are those that want to be able make the "truth" what they say it is, not what it really is...

How fitting that is...

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 05:55:57 PM »

I wonder how Al Gore feels about this?  Grin Grin
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: