The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I hate digital TV  (Read 3546 times)
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2018, 07:35:00 AM »

My understanding is that in the US most digital channels are on UHF, if this is correct, an analog era antenna designed for the VHF channels only will not give you the best signal, but may work (see first paragraph).

That's what a lot of people don't understand.  Just because you punch in "2.1," which is the PSIP (and station ID/marketing channel) doesn't mean that the station is actually transmitting on 54-60 MHz.  It might be on Channel 20 or another UHF channel.  Or it could actually be transmitting on Channel 7 or another VHF-HI channel.  In fact, the VHF-LO channels are rarely used anymore, although that may change after repacking is done.  The TV keeps a lookup table after scanning to match the PSIP to the actual RF channel.

That is correct. For example, channel 2 in Saint Louis is actually broadcast on 584 MHz, not 54 MHz like in the analog days.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2018, 09:28:04 AM »

In my area chan 46  has 6 sub channels.. Wow. I wonder if there is a rule how many sub channels can be associated to a channel..  Everyone have a blessed Day God Bless all.. 73s 10-4..
KG7CSS

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2018, 06:33:19 PM »

Analog  TV  was such  a bandwidth hog, good riddance.

I am one of the cord cutters.  I haven't watch broadcast TV  for at least three year.  I do 80% of my watching using  Netfix, Hulu, Crunchroll (anime), Funamation, Youtube and other streaming services.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2018, 07:41:36 AM »

In my local area we have 23 local channels or over the air signals..  Here is the antenna I use..I have my antenna 20 feet in the air I also use a rotor 73s Everyone have a Joyous Day and Be Safe God Bless

https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp??mc=03&p=HDB4X&d=Xtreme-Signal-HDTV-4-Bay-Bowtie-Outdoor-TV-Antenna-50-Mile-VHFUHF-(HDB4X)&c=TV%20Antennas&sku=
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2018, 09:59:20 AM »

Here is a good site to find out what kind of antenna to get really interesting...

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2018, 10:29:34 AM »

We're hams. Roll our own.

================================================
WZ7U ~ originating from CN86jc +/-

Yet another imperfect being created by THE perfect God. Thank you Jesus!
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2018, 10:57:12 AM »

A coat hanger still performs the same as a $35 digital HDTV pancake antenna. I returned it to the store the next day.
Google: Homemade TV antennas.
DRBEN

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2018, 11:26:01 AM »

Overall, digital TV provided by cable is superior in every way to all forms of OTA.

Yes, I have to pay for cable, but I have access to 311 TV channels and a large number of audio channels that provide local, national and international radio stations.

It has been at least 15 years since I have seen any “snow” or other artifacts. If your experience is worse than mine, the problem is not the technology; it’s the cable service provider.
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2018, 11:46:42 AM »

Overall, digital TV provided by cable is superior in every way to all forms of OTA.

Not in EVERY way, OTA is free. Wink

Yes, I have to pay for cable, but I have access to 311 TV channels and a large number of audio channels that provide local, national and international radio stations.

How many of those 311 channels you regularly watch? When I had cable, I would regularly watch maybe 10 channels, of those, 6 or 7 are also available OTA.

It has been at least 15 years since I have seen any “snow” or other artifacts. If your experience is worse than mine, the problem is not the technology; it’s the cable service provider.

Agree.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2018, 11:57:10 AM »

Here is a good site to find out what kind of antenna to get really interesting...

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13

Four-bay bowtie antennas can be easily built for about $5.  I've built several and they work great in suburban areas, even indoors.  But they're designed for UHF, not VHF/UHF.  They'll work well enough on Channels 7-13 if you're within 15-20 miles of the stations, but that's about it.

He speaks fluent PSK31...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
KB1WSY

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2018, 05:47:05 PM »

I've never had cable, I watch live TV as digital OTA. According to everything I have read, the OTA digital signal often uses less compression than the cable digital. I do know, from experience, that the OTA picture is visually excellent and easily matches or surpasses what I see when visiting the homes of people who have cable. Their picture is very good too, mind you!
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2018, 09:01:07 AM »

We have cable at out house. I have comcast i receive 3 services through comcast= cable tv+phone /house phone+Internet all for 120.00 a month.. I feel this is a good deal. 3 services divided by 120.00 = 40 .00 dollars a service.Have a Joyous Day . God Bless. Be Safe. 73s.
I also have O.T.A. as backup when cable goes out or E.M.P....  
                                                ......END OF TRANSMISSION......
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:08:53 AM by KC8KTN » Logged
N9KX

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2018, 09:25:13 AM »

KTN =  Huh
Keeps Trolling Nonstop?  Smiley
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: