The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HV power supply NOS parts bargain(?)  (Read 5229 times)
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 04:57:54 PM »

Rewinding = always fast, easy, and inexpensive

Only according to you and the learning curve can be steep.

I had a financial interest in a local NH transformer company and designed several filament and HV for amps from modest to BIG and up to enough for a 5-6kV DC supply. Sold them thru Radio Kit, hamfests, including Dayton and elsewhere. Also got into 3 phase mobile iron once I saw how much Dahl was getting for them. Grin

The women employees did the hard work.

Then the owner had the audacity to drop dead at his favorite watering hole after work one evening. I was on my way to night school.

Carl
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 05:09:17 PM »

According to MANY, and it's not rocket science.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 11:49:56 AM »

Describe "many" and list those on Eham who have rewound. My own rewinding was decades ago and just filament transformers which was not as simple as it appears.
WA7PRC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 12:18:11 PM »

Describe "many" and list those on Eham who have rewound. My own rewinding was decades ago and just filament transformers which was not as simple as it appears.
Many: more than a few. Hams have been (re)winding magnetics for decades, before the Internet (and eHam) existed. You're welcome to compile your own list.

My first rewind was also decades ago, around the time I was photoetching my own PCBs (early 1980s). I had a board for "An RF Proof 30A Supply" (link) and didn't have a transformer but did have a DOA HV transformer with enough core. After unwinding a mile of hair-size secondary wire and repairing the fish paper bobbin, I wound some 8 AWG Formvar wire onto it. It was E-A-S-Y. I'm still using the PS today, 24/7/365:

Only the outer cabinet was store-bought. Smiley

For those wanting to (re)learn, Manfred XQ6FOD has good info on his "Man Playing" website about magnetics in general here (link) and practical transformer winding here (link). The latter has a handy spreadsheet calculator.  Smiley
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 06:15:10 AM »

Looks like some good parts in that thing. The "safety issues" are easily dealt with.

However, at $795 plus shipping, it's no bargain, IMHO.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: