The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Odd encounter  (Read 10883 times)
W0BKR

Ignore
« on: December 11, 2017, 10:16:30 AM »

I recently posted an item for local sale, both on a swap board or two and in craigslist.  I figured some ops check CL for items.
Anyway, a guy contacted me KE8ARM wanting my item.  I had indicated I do not want the risk in shipping this item since it is large and heavy.  Likely will cost like the last item I packed, shipped and insured around $80.  This time I would have to obtain some additional packing at Fed Ex and they will charge extra for that.

First off, the guy didn't ask the usual litany of question and picture requests, just told me he wanted it.

Cut to the chase, after 2 weeks of badgering me to ship it, I told him I would.  He said when you ship it let me know and he would pay via PP, including the shipping.  First off, I never ship without payment rcvd first.  That was odd.  Anyway, after I told him I would, the same day or the next after he once again requested I tell him if I would ship it, I responded and now, no responses whatsoever.

So, not sure if this was legit, or an attempt to scam, whatever.  Just be careful.  Many things about this whole encounter did not feel right and if it doesn't feel right, smell right or seem right, treat it with caution.  I am not out of anything (just time) and not sure if this communication was for real or not so not saying the call wasn't legit or whether this is one of those individuals that jumps before thinking, flips equipment, etc. Just odd all the excitement, badgering and nothing.   Odd world we live in.
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 02:20:16 AM »

I have to believe this was an attempted scam in that this individual was expecting me to ship something and THEN pay. I sent two or three emails to inquire what this individual wanted to do since after all the badgering to get my item for day after day ended with dead silence.  Who knows, but certainly doesn't look good.  Again, be very careful when dealing with unknown individuals is about all I can say.
KJ6ZH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 10:03:28 AM »

Interesting as a search for KE6ARM shows nothing on QRZ or Bing.
Best to avoid.

Chris - KJ6ZH
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 10:43:58 AM »

Check the callsign you used.
WI8P

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 01:53:19 PM »

Interesting as a search for KE6ARM shows nothing on QRZ or Bing.
Best to avoid.

8 not 6
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 02:19:26 PM »

Keep in mind, although you may or may not find an old warning on KE8ARM (8 BTW), does not mean a callsign hasn't been hi jacked, email hi-jacked or someone just plain not knowing how to properly buy items off a swap board.  The entire experience until now just never felt right, had red flags, etc.  Again, try to do some homework and never been in a hurry to part with gear to an unknown until you feel relatively confident the other person is legit...
KD8QBW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 08:39:19 PM »

Pure comedy folks!
W0BKR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 05:05:49 PM »

Technician
N0TLD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 10:17:00 PM »

Technician

This is the second thread in which I've noticed you responding to QBW with the single word 'Technician'... as if that somehow invalidates everything he writes and validates all of your nonsense. Are we all supposed to automatically assume he must be wrong/bad/garbage/invalid because he doesn't hold a 'higher' class of license? And are we then to assume everything you say is right and good and true because you're an Extra?

Oh, wait... yes, we ARE supposed to do that, according to you. You've snarked many times on the boards about being a REAL ham versus the lowly Great Unwashed techs and generals. Your longheld Extra license means you deserve being given the benefit of the doubt every time, even though it's obvious what a lousy businessman you are based on how often you run into trouble with buyers and sellers 'scamming' you all the time.

Mike
N0TLD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: