The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-590SG or IC-7300 in the long Term?  (Read 78129 times)
KT0DD

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2017, 11:32:53 AM »

I don't play musical radios much anymore and tend to keep radios for awhile. As I am getting older, Unless I can find a miracle way of affording a IC7610, I am limited to the Under $1500 range. I have narrowed it down to the Kenwood TS-590SG and the IC-7300. I only have a couple of questions before pulling the trigger next week.

1. Resale Value - Which one would hold a better resale value? The IC-7300 has flooded the market while the TS590SG has 1/3 the amount of reviews on here, and so I expect the sales were considerably lower and therefore maybe it will hold a better resale value?

2. Repairability - I am assuming at this time, repair (if needed) on the IC-7300 is mainly at Icom service centers due to availability of parts being there but maybe not yet at independent repair shops. The Kenwood TS-590SG being out longer may have an easier time getting fixed being primarily analog and more off the shelf parts being available?

I want to hear what others think about my questions before making my final decision. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Todd - KT0DD
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 02:45:51 PM »

Todd, you are going to get a LOT of replies to your question.
I'll only state that the 7300 is a Software Defined Radio (SDR) and the 590 is the traditional superhet design. For a while, you could have purchased the 7300 for $999. There will be lots for sale as the new 7610 is rolled out.
I played with a 590SG a bit and disliked it. Perhaps it was defective. My 7300 has a built in spectrum 'scope. The display is so bright, it almost hurts the eyes. I got hooked on radio 'scopes when I bought my Icom 756 PRO in Tokyo the week it was announced.
I also just received my new 7610 and the scope on that is equally awesome. I have it connected to a 19" flat screen.
You can add a 'scope to the Kwood using an outboard dongle. Also be aware the 7300 has a very, very sensitive receiver. Connect it to some crummy wire antenna and you will reap the results.
Just be aware that all modern radios reached the point of diminishing returns long ago.
Although I appear to be an Icom 'fanboy', I have just about every brand of radio ever made. Including 22 Drakes.  Grin

ron
N4UE

If you're not the lead sled dog, the view never changes......
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 04:34:24 PM »

Thanks Ron - N4UE. I do like the features of the 7300.  If for some reason you find you dislike your 7610 and want to play Santa, you can bring it down my chimmny...hi hi. Have a Merry Christmas & great New Year.

Todd - KT0DD
NN2X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 04:55:15 PM »

I have a Kenwood 590S, and without a doubt...Get the ICOM 7300...

Although Kenwood is a great radio, it uses legacy technology.

I can get into the specifics, but the future are in SDR...And further if there is a required upgrade, it is easy with SDR, not so easy with hardware...

You will get a many responses...But if it was my money, Icom 7300

C U on the bands

NN2X

Tom
KB7FSC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 08:13:52 PM »

Hi Todd,

I just went through the radio purchase process and had a list of transceivers on my final list that included Icom 7300, 7610, Yeasu 3000, 5000 and Kenwood 590SG.  In the end, I put the money into the Kenwood. 

Resale - Pretty much all the modern radios are just like buying a new vehicle in terms of resale value.  They will all drop, and in my opinion, they need to be used to get the value from the depreciation.  I think the 590sg has/will hold a better resale value vs the 7300, but then again it has higher initial cost.

Repair - In my research, neither of the radios are showing much in terms of major failures.  The original 590s had the AGC issue, but that has long since been resolved in the SG.  The only common issue I found when researching the 590SG was that the two cooling fans were installed backwards for about a year.  The new model SG's don't have this issue.  Some have expressed concern over the viability of the touchscreen on the 7300.  Bottom line is that both rigs have a pretty solid reputation so far.  I gave the edge to the Kenwood simply because the design has been around for 7 or so years when you include the 590s, so its not brand new technology, but rather revised and effective technology with the SG introduction.

A couple other reasons I rationalized the 590 over the 7300 was that I didn't care to have a small bandscope built into the radio.  I prefer a external SDRplay receiver and HDSDR software on my computer with a nice big flatscreen.  You also get a second receiver with this arrangement.  This is just a personal choice for me, and the 7300 can be modified to easily add a external drive for an SDR.  The SG has this feature already built in with the DRV terminal.  However, you might not want to deal with the interface and prefer a built in bandscope.

I also like the more robust front end of the Kenwood and down conversion and roofing filters.  The 7300 front end is wide open, but it is generally accepted that if you run the rf gain up on the 7300 that it does OK.  The truth is that these radios are very close in the receiver department, and one can find specific band conditions where one or the other might work marginally better than the other.

Last, hooking up the 590SG to a computer is really easy and solid.  It's so nice doing rig control and sound modes with a single USB cable.  All the drivers and software is free - just add the cable and you are good to go!

Lots of opinions, and this is just mine.  Your mileage may vary, but I have no regrets with my new 590SG.  I also think that you can't make a bad decision here, so that is the good news!

Good luck, and have fun!

Wane - KB7FSC
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 03:17:24 AM »

I ordered an Icom IC-7300 & Kenwood TS-590SG to test. The IC-7300 has a better noise reduction system, but had to be set on 4 to equal the TS-590SG without any noise reduction. Frankly, the IC-7300 is a noisy receiver. The Kenwood NR has a watery sound at higher settings, but the higher settings are not needed. The IC-7300 did not sound natural, it has an odd 'phase shift' sound. The Kenwood sounds very good & natural. I am used to clear tube audio, but as you know tube receivers do not have any selectivity like newer radios.

The IC-7300 is deaf below the AM broadcast band vs the Kenwood is as good as it gets with others agreeing to my comment if that has any interest to you. During weak signal SSB reception the Kenwood would perform whereas the IC-7300 would not pull the signal out of the noise no matter what settings performed on the radio. And, the Kenwood has two antenna connectors for separating 6 meters from the HF bands.

The Kenwood has a cleaner transmit with 3rd harmonic down 42dB. The Icom is down 30dB, but some have stated they measured -35dB. Not sure of the Icom power setting at -35dB.

I mentioned this before and others stated I have operator error. I been operating receivers since age of 12 or 55 years.

Bottom line, buy the Kenwood or anti up for the IC-7610.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 03:33:32 AM by N8FVJ » Logged
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 04:29:24 AM »

To the OP:

Other than your concern about resale value and repairs, you don't say anything about what kind of operating you do and what's important to you in a radio.

Are you a "cw guy" or primarily phone?
How about digital -- RTTY? FT8?
Casual rag-chewer?
Hard-core DX-chaster?
Serious contest operator?

What features are important to you?
If you MUST have a built-in band-scope, the Kenwood is out-of-the-running.
But as another poster noted, if you want a big-screen band-scope the Icom won't do it for you, but the Kenwood will if you set-up an external scope.
How about size and controls?
Think touch-screen is the "cat's meow" or are you a buttons-and-knobs type of guy.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

As for technology, I personally wouldn't get hung-up on the fact that the Icom is SDR and the Kenwood is "old" superhet technology. What's "under-the-hood" doesn't really matter. What's important is whether what you're using meets your needs. Wink
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 02:47:56 PM »

I don't play musical radios much anymore and tend to keep radios for awhile. As I am getting older, Unless I can find a miracle way of affording a IC7610, I am limited to the Under $1500 range. I have narrowed it down to the Kenwood TS-590SG and the IC-7300. I only have a couple of questions before pulling the trigger next week.

1. Resale Value - Which one would hold a better resale value? The IC-7300 has flooded the market while the TS590SG has 1/3 the amount of reviews on here, and so I expect the sales were considerably lower and therefore maybe it will hold a better resale value?

2. Repairability - I am assuming at this time, repair (if needed) on the IC-7300 is mainly at Icom service centers due to availability of parts being there but maybe not yet at independent repair shops. The Kenwood TS-590SG being out longer may have an easier time getting fixed being primarily analog and more off the shelf parts being available?

I want to hear what others think about my questions before making my final decision. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Todd - KT0DD

UE--Ron is so biased it's twisted!!  He is an Icom freak and hasn't even owned the Kenwood!!

That said, I HAVE owned BOTH, had three IC7300's and 4 TS590SG's---the reason for that is not relevant EXCEPT for the fact I know both VERY well.

The IC7300 is absolutely a nice radio and in fact it's my opinion it has a "little" better DSP, not as harsh.
Other than that the TS590SG is more of a radio on almost every level, solid sturdy THREE antenna inputs,
TWO jacks for CW, FREE software from Kenwood that makes a great radio even better. You can get the cheap
SDRPlay and you have full screen panadpter/specrum scope using the RX antenna which the 7300 does not have from
factory. I use two Keys, Bug and Paddles so that works perfectly. I have SDRPlay as my display which is 17 inches
NOT 4.3 as on the Icom.  If you are into NDB's below 500KHz the Kenwwod hears down there VERY well where the Icom
is deaf.  I like the TS590SG so much I bought the Anniversary Edition.

Yes the 7300 is a neat fun radio, I owned three of them now all I own is the Kenwood and couldn't be happier. So now you have another strong opinion, mine.

Curt
k3ey
KT0DD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 05:19:59 PM »

KS2G-
my style of operating is pretty basic. no CW or contesting. I am mainly a 75 & 40m ssb ragchewer and all band ssb DX hunter. I also live in a subdivision where there are many noise generators. I currently own a TS480HX and checked my noise floor. Without any attenuation and rf gain at max I have a baseline S4 to S5 noise level. When the pot grow lamps come on or dirty heater motors, electric blankets etc. I get anywhere from an S7 to S9+20 to 30 over and my receiver becomes useless. I have a workaround during the bad times by using remote bases on RemoteHams.com as my receivers and use the 480 for TX only. I know no radio will knock out the noise completely. I also like to be able to reduce QRM on either side of me as best as possible but SSB can be pretty hard to reject a wide TX signal.

So I guess I want good noise handling, good rejection capabilities and a good weak signal receiver. Not asking for much in the <$1500. range...hi hi.

Thanks.  Todd - KT0DD
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 05:51:42 PM »

UE--Ron is so biased it's twisted!!  He is an Icom freak and hasn't even owned the Kenwood!!
Curt
k3ey
[/quote]

Yes he is. I taken plenty of abuse from him over this subject.
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 02:54:02 AM »

You just can't beat the IC-7300 for value for money right now.

Yes, they won't hold their value in the long run, but neither will anything else.  Just look at what they have done to the second hand market... TS-2000s, IC-7200s, TS-590s... all these radios are now going for peanuts.

Not only that, the IC-7300 is such a great radio that it doesn't need to hold its value; by the time you want to get rid of it you will have more than got your moneys worth.

For 95% of Hams, the IC-7300 is all the radio they will ever need.

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 04:42:56 AM »

Gigaparts: New IC-7300.....$1149 (use mail in rebate)  Kenwood TS-590SG.....$1229
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 05:58:46 AM »

Remember this, until old days when analog rigs were main stream little changed in performance other than tweaks more or less. In IF DSP world technology is constantly evolving. Just like this years laptop, PC or smart phone is well ahead of one designed 5 years ago, the same with IF DSP rigs in their price classes. Not only are DSP processor chips getting better in processing power, they are also getting cheaper as the die shrinks and they cost less to make too. Like it or not the 590 is about a 7 year old design that has only seen some minor tweeks with SG model. 7300 is about a 5 year newer design and is based on newer technology. If looking to buy a IF DSP rig today I would get a design based on newer technology, not one based on older technology. Would you pay same price for a 5 year old NIB laptop or smart phone as you would a current model?  Its kinda the same with IF DSP rigs.

BTW, I am a kenwood guy and like their ergonomics and feel but when I have played a 590SG next to a 7300 on same signal on same antenna the 7300 was clearly superior at pulling weak signals out of the noise by a large margin. I am not in market for a rig right now but if I was I would choose a 7300 over a 590 if those two rigs were only choice.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 10:19:15 AM »

BTW, I am a kenwood guy and like their ergonomics and feel but when I have played a 590SG next to a 7300 on same signal on same antenna the 7300 was clearly superior at pulling weak signals out of the noise by a large margin. I am not in market for a rig right now but if I was I would choose a 7300 over a 590 if those two rigs were only choice.
[/quote]

Exact opposite for me. The Kenwood TS-590SG was better for pulling out weak SSB signals. I could clearly hear the weak SSB that was lost in the noise on the IC-7300. No amount of adjusting the controls could pull the weak signal out. I also use same outboard speaker on both rigs side by side.
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 11:02:35 AM »

James, that's because your an IDIOT who couldn't figure out what RFG stood for. Tell us again about your antenna farm...... I'll bet you has a preamp (or 2) ON while on HF.  Huh

Yes, I AM an Icom fanboy. I also own 22 drakes, 3 Collins receivers, a mint R-390A, several high end Kenwood and Yaesu stations. Even a crummy Ten Tec. And LOTS more.

Anyone who says that one radio could clearly hear a signal that another radio did not know was there needs to take up a hobby more in line with their IQ level.

Pet Rocks, perhaps!

LMFAO

ron
N4UR

If you're not the lead sled dog, the view never changes......
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: