The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-590SG or IC-7300 in the long Term?  (Read 78061 times)
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2018, 04:13:51 PM »

so the low output problem was finally fixed?  That's good to hear.

73, Ed

I will just say it drives my amp plenty.

Don’t own a Bird meter, so it’s according to them but IS better!

I have a Daiwa CN-901. It seems every Kenwood I ever owned, too many, were always
a little low on output when compared to ICOM or Yaesu, who knows.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 04:17:10 PM by K3EY » Logged
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2018, 03:33:00 PM »

We go back & forth on what has the better receiver TS-590SG or IC-7300. Well, I was talking to a tech at Gigaparts and he stated very early IC-7300 had some issues. I had an early IC-7300. So, that may be why the IC-7300 had such a noisy receiver vs the Kenwood. And, do not tell me I had the RF gain all the way advanced. So, some may be correct that the IC-7300 hears better.
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2018, 08:11:56 AM »

Well, we'll find out soon as I'm about to do a youtube face off of these very two radios.

The truth is, they're a lot different than one may first expect, and there are very good reasons for going with one over the other.

Stay QRV.

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2018, 12:41:36 AM »

And here we go - the Icom IC-7300 vs Kenwood TS-590SG Overview

https://youtu.be/2ZVW8Ipo-FI

I hope ya'll enjoy,

73, Jarrad VK3BL

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
KN4DQE

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2018, 11:46:16 AM »

Long term I can see any SDR radio that has an LCD touch screen to go dim and wear out over time.  If you have an old (5+ year old) laptop, put it next to a new one and see how well the screen brightness held up over that period of time.  Most of these get weak over time.  If it's an OLED screen, there are other issues, but I doubt any of the SDR's out there would use that technology (these guys always seem to be 5 - 10 years behind).

That's one of the major reasons I went with the TS-590SG.  It has everything I need - plus can hook up an SDRPlay and use an external monitor, meaning I get a bigger screen, all of the knobs and switches, and can replace the monitor whenever I would need to, and never have to worry about the LCD getting dimmer over time.
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2018, 02:44:30 PM »

Long term I can see any SDR radio that has an LCD touch screen to go dim and wear out over time.  If you have an old (5+ year old) laptop, put it next to a new one and see how well the screen brightness held up over that period of time.  Most of these get weak over time.  If it's an OLED screen, there are other issues, but I doubt any of the SDR's out there would use that technology (these guys always seem to be 5 - 10 years behind).

That's one of the major reasons I went with the TS-590SG.  It has everything I need - plus can hook up an SDRPlay and use an external monitor, meaning I get a bigger screen, all of the knobs and switches, and can replace the monitor whenever I would need to, and never have to worry about the LCD getting dimmer over time.

Well two things....  people buy smartphones that cost $700-1000, so what's to fear?  The ham radio touchscreen will last as long or longer since it's the same kind of display, be it LCD or OLED, and it gets daily use in most cases that's less than a smartphone.  

Those touch screens will just get expensive, but not impossible, to replace down the road.  A complete smartphone screen and touch panel repair is a couple hundred bucks.

Second point is that the LCD in your 590SG will fade away just as fast as any other screen such as IC-7300, etc.  And the 590SG has a custom LCD (like so many of our current generation "small-screen" LCD display radios), so I would actually worry more about that one that a generic touchscreen like the IC-7300 has.

Ed
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2018, 05:31:59 PM »

Long term I can see any SDR radio that has an LCD touch screen to go dim and wear out over time.  If you have an old (5+ year old) laptop, put it next to a new one and see how well the screen brightness held up over that period of time.  Most of these get weak over time.  If it's an OLED screen, there are other issues, but I doubt any of the SDR's out there would use that technology (these guys always seem to be 5 - 10 years behind).

That's one of the major reasons I went with the TS-590SG.  It has everything I need - plus can hook up an SDRPlay and use an external monitor, meaning I get a bigger screen, all of the knobs and switches, and can replace the monitor whenever I would need to, and never have to worry about the LCD getting dimmer over time.

I have both, the 7300 is in service "working" the 590SG is at Kenwood service for the second time.

So much for that fluff. . . . . . . .
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2018, 07:03:17 PM »

I have both, the 7300 is in service "working" the 590SG is at Kenwood service for the second time.

Ok, to be fair I have to say this. Dang it, maybe JX was right about their quality control.  Smiley
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2018, 03:13:58 AM »

Ok, to be fair I have to say this. Dang it, maybe JX was right about their quality control.  Smiley

Well he wouldn’t be wrong
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2018, 10:11:51 AM »

My TS590SG Anniversary is on it's way back from CA where I was informed the head tech who teaches the other techs personally
worked on my radio checking everything from top to bottom.

I filed a complaint--- due to second problem in a row---- and Kenwood listened to which I give them credit.

I just hope it performs with longevity now like 99 percent of the others out there are doing.

My first HF radio was a TS520S back in early 1982 and have owned many Kenwoods since.

N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2018, 04:08:27 PM »

Good luck, hopefully they've permanently resolved it.
KN4DQE

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2018, 05:51:26 PM »

Long term I can see any SDR radio that has an LCD touch screen to go dim and wear out over time.  If you have an old (5+ year old) laptop, put it next to a new one and see how well the screen brightness held up over that period of time.  Most of these get weak over time.  If it's an OLED screen, there are other issues, but I doubt any of the SDR's out there would use that technology (these guys always seem to be 5 - 10 years behind).

That's one of the major reasons I went with the TS-590SG.  It has everything I need - plus can hook up an SDRPlay and use an external monitor, meaning I get a bigger screen, all of the knobs and switches, and can replace the monitor whenever I would need to, and never have to worry about the LCD getting dimmer over time.

Well two things....  people buy smartphones that cost $700-1000, so what's to fear?  The ham radio touchscreen will last as long or longer since it's the same kind of display, be it LCD or OLED, and it gets daily use in most cases that's less than a smartphone.  

Those touch screens will just get expensive, but not impossible, to replace down the road.  A complete smartphone screen and touch panel repair is a couple hundred bucks.

Second point is that the LCD in your 590SG will fade away just as fast as any other screen such as IC-7300, etc.  And the 590SG has a custom LCD (like so many of our current generation "small-screen" LCD display radios), so I would actually worry more about that one that a generic touchscreen like the IC-7300 has.

Ed

Doubtful - the LCD screen in my Kenwood doesn't have hundreds of wires to turn thousands of individual pixels on and off.  The technology in the Kenwood is proven long term.  The technology in the Icom isn't (color screens have been around in mass since about early 2000's, LCD panels in the Kenwood have been around since the 70's).  I honestly don't care if you own either - I like the Icom, but you will have to change the screen out eventually.  Statistics says this will be much sooner and more often than the Kenwood.  Common sense.
KN4DQE

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2018, 05:52:15 PM »

What's your point?  All radio brands have issues.
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2018, 06:41:12 PM »

Guess I should have kept failings a secret Undecided

Is your last name Walton. . . . .
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 06:43:17 PM by K3EY » Logged
KJ4HVL

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2018, 06:52:36 AM »

Fading is only a major issue with CFL / EL driven displays and OLED. A good LED back-lit display will show no effect of dimming until over 10,000 hours of operations, and the LED back-light units are rated at well over 50,000 hours of usable life. That's almost 6 years of 24x7 operation, and potentially longer with 100,000hour mtbf on some LEDs.

I have an LCD screen, with the CFL back light technology that was purchased in 2006. It ran on a server 24x7 until 2013. Since then it gets about 20 hours a month. That would be nearly 63,000 hours and it is perfectly usable right now. Did I have it cranked to the max the whole time? No. Is it dimmer than it was? Yes. But is it so bad it needs replaced? Nope. I plan on keeping it another 10 years or more, even if it is 4:3
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: