The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TS-590SG or IC-7300 in the long Term?  (Read 80649 times)
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2018, 09:01:43 AM »

Long term I can see any SDR radio that has an LCD touch screen to go dim and wear out over time.  If you have an old (5+ year old) laptop, put it next to a new one and see how well the screen brightness held up over that period of time.  Most of these get weak over time.  If it's an OLED screen, there are other issues, but I doubt any of the SDR's out there would use that technology (these guys always seem to be 5 - 10 years behind).

That's one of the major reasons I went with the TS-590SG.  It has everything I need - plus can hook up an SDRPlay and use an external monitor, meaning I get a bigger screen, all of the knobs and switches, and can replace the monitor whenever I would need to, and never have to worry about the LCD getting dimmer over time.

Fading is only a major issue with CFL / EL driven displays and OLED. A good LED back-lit display will show no effect of dimming until over 10,000 hours of operations, and the LED back-light units are rated at well over 50,000 hours of usable life. That's almost 6 years of 24x7 operation, and potentially longer with 100,000hour mtbf on some LEDs.

I have an LCD screen, with the CFL back light technology that was purchased in 2006. It ran on a server 24x7 until 2013. Since then it gets about 20 hours a month. That would be nearly 63,000 hours and it is perfectly usable right now. Did I have it cranked to the max the whole time? No. Is it dimmer than it was? Yes. But is it so bad it needs replaced? Nope. I plan on keeping it another 10 years or more, even if it is 4:3

Such a lame thing to worry about, you could be dead in the next minute no one is guaranteed even the next second, and most don't make it long term.

Like I said---shallow view worrying about such trival things.
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2018, 10:04:17 PM »

Usually I am an ICOM Man but given those choices I'd go with the Kenwood.I feel that the 7300 & other touch screen radios will have serious issues though they may be after ICOM has stopped supporting them & it will result in high repair costs for the owners.They say how well the screens work for cell phones but think people don't keep a cell phone nearly as long as a radio.The failures in the touch screens I think will be a big issue sooner than later but time will be the final judge.If you have not already done so buy the Kenwood & save a lot of headaches & cost to you later.

Clayton
W4KVW
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2018, 10:30:50 PM »

Sort of like sending your TS-870 to Kenwood for repair.....wait they don't service them any more.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2018, 03:43:34 AM »

Sort of like sending your TS-870 to Kenwood for repair.....wait they don't service them any more.

Can you really blame them? Parts are getting scarce.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
PU2OZT

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2018, 08:27:47 AM »

...failures in the touch screens I think will be a big issue sooner than later...
Clayton
W4KVW
Is such a fancy thing as a touchscreen transceiver already on the market? gonna check it out right now, could be the next hype, would regret my whole life if missed it

Oliver
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2018, 12:12:14 PM »

...failures in the touch screens I think will be a big issue sooner than later...
Clayton
W4KVW
Is such a fancy thing as a touchscreen transceiver already on the market? gonna check it out right now, could be the next hype, would regret my whole life if missed it

Oliver

Now that's a Twist
VK3BL

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2018, 02:05:47 AM »

Clayton
W4KVW

When I first read this, I dismissed it outright.

However, the issue has reared its ugly head with the IC-7610s.  Owners should make sure to check their screens for signs of 'burn in' before warranty expires.

The easiest way to do this is to power cycle the radio.  The best way is to get a near 100% black screen using the touch screen calibration function.

The IC-7300 IS NOT AFFECTED.

J.D. Mitchell BA  - VK3BL / XU7AGA - https://www.youtube.com/ratemyradio - Honesty & Integrity
VK3MEG

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2018, 07:04:38 AM »

im not just a casual radio user i have had a few radios and currently have the ic 7100, ftdx 1200,kx3 and ic 7300. i have also had the elad fdm duo ,ic 7200, ft920, ft 101ee, and ic 725 .

im impressed with the  ic 7300 in fact i cant fault it while not perfect for Dollar value its great i haven't looked back my ftdx1200 is now the shed radio 7100 is the 2m/70 ssb and fm radio and kx3 for portable the only radio in the main shack apart from fm stuff is the  ic 7300 . im sitting on  272 worked 265 confirmed dxcc with  100 w and a tri bander . i use ssb cw and the god forsaken ft8 when i have to i seriously considered the ts 590 sg but due to icoms great (in vk) warranty 5 years plus the waterfall i couldn't go for the kenwood. 4 months on im still happy. i'm in the market for a good radio ie ic 7610 ,dual rx rig  even considering the aging ftdx 5000 the price is appealing. but nothing jumps out may be the  ts 890, k3s is good but very expensive , or maybe nothing. who knows
KN4DQE

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2018, 04:11:54 PM »

Long term I can see any SDR radio that has an LCD touch screen to go dim and wear out over time.  If you have an old (5+ year old) laptop, put it next to a new one and see how well the screen brightness held up over that period of time.  Most of these get weak over time.  If it's an OLED screen, there are other issues, but I doubt any of the SDR's out there would use that technology (these guys always seem to be 5 - 10 years behind).

That's one of the major reasons I went with the TS-590SG.  It has everything I need - plus can hook up an SDRPlay and use an external monitor, meaning I get a bigger screen, all of the knobs and switches, and can replace the monitor whenever I would need to, and never have to worry about the LCD getting dimmer over time.

Fading is only a major issue with CFL / EL driven displays and OLED. A good LED back-lit display will show no effect of dimming until over 10,000 hours of operations, and the LED back-light units are rated at well over 50,000 hours of usable life. That's almost 6 years of 24x7 operation, and potentially longer with 100,000hour mtbf on some LEDs.

I have an LCD screen, with the CFL back light technology that was purchased in 2006. It ran on a server 24x7 until 2013. Since then it gets about 20 hours a month. That would be nearly 63,000 hours and it is perfectly usable right now. Did I have it cranked to the max the whole time? No. Is it dimmer than it was? Yes. But is it so bad it needs replaced? Nope. I plan on keeping it another 10 years or more, even if it is 4:3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPx1UPn4y_o

You were saying? Wink  That's right - the screens on the 7610 are suffering burn-in.  I'd imagine ANY SDR (7100, 7300, etc) will have the same issues.  That will NEVER happen with the type of LCD screen that the TS-590 uses.  Sorry to burst our bubble.  Go ahead and keep your burned in SDR radios - I'll keep my crystal clear 590SG.
HAMSTUDY

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: June 05, 2018, 08:22:33 AM »

FWIW, in the video by VK3BL, starting at about 8:10 he says “it’s just bad luck, it’s very rare for an LCD to have this issue”; “the 7300 doesn’t suffer it”; “it has nothing to do with it being a touch screen, it’s probably just a bad batch”.
K3EY

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: June 10, 2018, 05:09:24 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPx1UPn4y_o

You were saying? Wink  That's right - the screens on the 7610 are suffering burn-in.  I'd imagine ANY SDR (7100, 7300, etc) will have the same issues.  That will NEVER happen with the type of LCD screen that the TS-590 uses.  Sorry to burst our bubble.  Go ahead and keep your burned in SDR radios - I'll keep my crystal clear 590SG.

Followed with this little tidbit:  On 75 recently there was some sort of interference driving me nuts, couldn't seem to remove it
no matter what settings I used on the 7300. Out of curiosity I switched over to my TS59SG on same frequency and of course,
antenna, to my surprise the strange signal/hash noise was gone completely. I found the strange hash noise down the band several kHz
with the TS590SG. Switched back to the 7300 and the noise still there no matter what filter settings I used, including RF gain. When I went
down the band where the TS590SG found the noise, the IC7300 noise was twice as bad. So it's very true what they say, the IC7300
is easily overloaded when compared the TS590SG, and that's with out a doubt as I sure found out! FYI: The weird signal was not of amateur origin.
KC4ZGP

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2018, 10:44:46 AM »

I recommend the Alinco SR-8T. Top of the line, state of the art.

Kraus
HAMFESTS

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2018, 01:10:50 PM »

I recommend this:

After buying any radio, start saving up for the next one.
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2018, 07:47:10 PM »

I recommend this:

After buying any radio, start saving up for the next one.

Good advice!  Grin
Pages: Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: