The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6O6O - SOMALIA  (Read 32066 times)
LA7GIA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2017, 06:25:05 AM »

Also we can block ZL when working EU... Grin
AJ2I

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 05:11:47 AM »

Hopefully they spend a little time on SSB
KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 08:18:36 AM »

Hopefully they spend a little time on SSB
+1

My CW is not good enough yet to start out on the air  Cheesy

K4HB

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »

What I'm about to say is not intended to be judgmental. But if anyone is serious about working DX and wants to rack up countries and bands, CW is where it's at. And you don't need to be top notch at code to do it. If you can send your call, recognize your call, and then send R 599 (or whatever RST) TU, you can work DXpeditions. As long as they can pull out your call, and you respond to the signal report, that's all a DXpedition cares about. Just jump into the water feet first, and you may be surprised.

It would also help to know UP and DN in case the DX is working split. If you accidentally send on the DX freq, the frequency cops will likely send UP and sometimes DN. Sometimes they'll send more than just UP or DN, but you probably wouldn't want to know what they are telling you anyway. Just check your split button and keep on.

AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 09:48:41 AM »

My CW is not good enough yet to start out on the air  Cheesy

What I'm about to say is not intended to be judgmental. But if anyone is serious about working DX and wants to rack up countries and bands, CW is where it's at. And you don't need to be top notch at code to do it. If you can send your call, recognize your call, and then send R 599 (or whatever RST) TU, you can work DXpeditions. As long as they can pull out your call, and you respond to the signal report, that's all a DXpedition cares about. Just jump into the water feet first, and you may be surprised.

It would also help to know UP and DN in case the DX is working split. If you accidentally send on the DX freq, the frequency cops will likely send UP and sometimes DN. Sometimes they'll send more than just UP or DN, but you probably wouldn't want to know what they are telling you anyway. Just check your split button and keep on.

to KM4SII:

Does your transceiver have a keyer memory? If so, just enter your call into memory#1 and "599 TU" into memory#2. Then, you wouldn't even need a key attached to work DX.
KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2017, 11:18:17 AM »

AB8MA: No it does not. I have a Yaesu FT-450d, so nothing super fancy. I might get myself a Signallink USB for digital modes soon. I can also send CW through it too. I just don't have a way to hook my laptop to the the radio right now.

I can copy my call, CQ, 5NN, TU, UP, that kind of stuff at any speed. I just need to work on my sending  Cheesy

I'll get there one of these days...

It's just that until I get an interface, I have no way of sending CW... Hopefully that will change soon!  Grin

AB8MA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2017, 11:46:08 AM »

Mason, KM4SII, double check the specs on your FT-450d.

I am not at all familiar with that rig, and I had to google to see:

•   Built-In Electronic Keyer
The Built-In Electronic Keyer speed is adjustable from 4 to 60 WPM. You will also be able to select your favorite CW weight - Dot-Dash Ratio.
•   Spotting (Zero-Beating)
The FT 450D Spotting feature will help you get right on frequency with the station you want to call.
•   Memory Keyer
Load up the 3 memory channels with information you repeated have to send.

It may be buried under "Manual Beacon Transmission" on page 53. I didn't see any method described on actually how to use it, though.

“Beacon mode” includes the capability
to program three canned Morse messages;
this is what passes for a CW memory keyer
in the FT-450. You select the text characters
one at a time via the menu, not by sending
them. This feature may be sufficient to call
CQ or handle a canned message but, like the
DVR, getting to these memories is inconvenient
and again involves — you guessed
it — programming the C.S. key.

My point is this. If this capability is available to you, it is a most powerful tool for DX'ing. I would hate to see you miss out.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 12:04:53 PM by AB8MA » Logged
K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2017, 12:19:30 PM »

AB8MA: No it does not. I have a Yaesu FT-450d, so nothing super fancy. I might get myself a Signallink USB for digital modes soon. I can also send CW through it too. I just don't have a way to hook my laptop to the the radio right now.

I can copy my call, CQ, 5NN, TU, UP, that kind of stuff at any speed. I just need to work on my sending  Cheesy

I'll get there one of these days...

It's just that until I get an interface, I have no way of sending CW... Hopefully that will change soon!  Grin

Hi Mason.  See page 52 of the manual - "CW Beacon" feature can be used to program and send 3 pre-loaded CW messages.  Put in your call, 5NN TU, and you can send by pushing a button on the rig with no keyer required!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 12:22:17 PM by K0YQ » Logged
KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2017, 12:39:16 PM »

I might get myself a Signallink USB for digital modes soon. I can also send CW through it too.

Since everyone is jumping all over the poor kid I will offer my advice as well:   Smiley

The only CW you can send with a SignaLink USB is MCW. The radio must be in the SSB mode which (in my opinion) is not an advisable way of sending CW.

K4HAL sells a FANTASTIC item. It's a WinKeyer chip incorporated into a USB shell. It's small & takes up virtually no room compared to it's WinKey in a box big brother sold by several company's for 3+ times the price. I liked K4HAL's product so much I bought 5 of them and for $30 you can't go wrong. Choose either 1/4" or 1/8" connectors. I used one to make 40,000+ CW QSOs over the past 2 years with with zero issues. Despite it being bent, stepped on, dropped & unintentionally abused it keeps right on a tickin. No drivers to install, it's plug 'n play.    

Tom KC0W
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 12:47:36 PM by KC0W » Logged
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2017, 12:43:39 PM »

Hi Mason,

I can copy my call, CQ, 5NN, TU, UP, that kind of stuff at any speed.

Excellent!

I just need to work on my sending  Cheesy

This is the easy part. Use your PC or TCVR's memory for sending your call and 5NN TU. Start practicing now with smaller DXpeditions / less rare stations / smaller pileups.

Again, you are able to receive your own call sign at "any speed", that's the hard part. Sending (pushing a button) is the easy part.

Marvin VE3VEE
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 12:45:45 PM by VE3VEE » Logged
KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2017, 12:46:04 PM »

Okay, so I did know about the "beacon" feature and I do recall messing with it in the past, but I don't think it worked right. And I believe you can only send one message at a time. You have to go digging through the menu to change the message which takes way too long.

Time to go experimenting some more!  Grin

Let me see what I can figure out...

EDIT:
So, there is some good new and some bad news...

Good news: This time is worked! I can send my call over the air....

Bad news: It sends only 15 WPM or so. I don't know of any way to change the speed. Also, while there *are* 3 beacon memories, you have to dig through the memories to change what it sends and I'm not sure I could change quick enough to send "5NN TU" in time...

Time for more experimenting!

EDIT again:
So, I feel like a complete dummy  Grin  I somehow missed the menu option labeled "CWSPEED..." DOH! Well, now I am sending my call at any speed. I guess I'll have to try and be quick enough to change to the second CW memory to send "5NN TU."  I was under the impression that I could not use the beacon feature as a CW memory keyer, but fortunately I was wrong! You learn something new every day  Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 01:02:32 PM by KM4SII » Logged

K0YQ

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2017, 01:07:22 PM »

Okay, so I did know about the "beacon" feature and I do recall messing with it in the past, but I don't think it worked right. And I believe you can only send one message at a time. You have to go digging through the menu to change the message which takes way too long.

Time to go experimenting some more!  Grin

Let me see what I can figure out...

EDIT:
So, there is some good new and some bad news...

Good news: This time is worked! I can send my call over the air....

Bad news: It sends only 15 WPM or so. I don't know of any way to change the speed. Also, while there *are* 3 beacon memories, you have to dig through the memories to change what it sends and I'm not sure I could change quick enough to send "5NN TU" in time...

Time for more experimenting!

EDIT again:
So, I feel like a complete dummy  Grin  I somehow missed the menu option labeled "CWSPEED..." DOH! Well, now I am sending my call at any speed. I guess I'll have to try and be quick enough to change to the second CW memory to send "5NN TU."  I was under the impression that I could not use the beacon feature as a CW memory keyer, but fortunately I was wrong! You learn something new every day  Cheesy

Your first CW DX QSO brings forth the zebra!  Great job.
KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 01:15:53 PM »

Will try, but 20m is already starting to fade. The only thing on 20m is V31MA, but he is in the extra part of the band. Can't wait to get that extra; just a little more studying left!!

KM4SII

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2017, 01:44:37 PM »

Your first CW DX QSO brings forth the zebra!  Great job.
We have success! Not really "DX" but I successfully made a brief QSO with CO2VDD in Cuba on 20m CW! Woop-woop  Grin

I set the memory to send "KM4SII 5NN TU" since I can't switch fast enough. When calling someone, after it sends "KM4SII" I cut it off before it sends "5NN TU." After the station gets my callsign I send the whole "KM4SII 5NN TU." Not the best method, but that's all I can do at the moment...

EDIT: Just worked AH6V, Hawaii on 17m CW!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 01:59:26 PM by KM4SII » Logged

VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2017, 02:00:38 PM »

We have success! Not really "DX" but I successfully made a brief QSO with CO2VDD in Cuba on 20m CW! Woop-woop  Grin

Congrats! First success! Very nice!

But how long does it take going thru the TCVR menu to change the memory from "km4sii" to "5nn tu"? Even if it takes just a second or two, it is too long. You need to have instant access to both memories. If there is no way to have instant access to them, look for another solution, perhaps something like Tom KC0W suggested above.

Marvin VE3VEE
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: