The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Overcomer Ministry shutting down on January 1  (Read 15797 times)
WW7KE

Ignore
« on: December 29, 2017, 06:06:37 AM »

With "Brother Stair" sitting in jail on multiple charges (including sex charges), and likely there for a long time, they have decided to cease operations on AM, FM, and shortwave.  I certainly won't miss the crazy old coot, but he did bring in lots of money to our privately-owned SW broadcasters.  I won't be surprised if one or more shuts down completely this year.

https://swling.com/blog/2017/12/overcomer-ministry-to-halt-radio-broadcasting-in-2018/
http://abcnews4.com/news/crime-news/colleton-county-preacher-ralph-stair-arrested

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 12:43:30 PM »

I had heard him imploring his listeners to send in reception reports to keep the most active frequencies going. He did say that he would be going off the air at the start of the New Year, but it seems that he is already gone.
 At certain times of the day or night, he could be found on several stations across the bands. A little ridiculous and probably unsustainable, even with his big money backers.
 I guess that the money and his luck ran out. I was getting a little tired of hearing his apocalyptic message over and over again anyway.
 I for one, would like to hear better programming on SW. I know that money talks and the bills have to be paid and we get what makes money for the station.
 I am a WBCQ listener and was a little disappointed when they began carrying Br. Stair. Maybe they can fill the time with something worthwhile now?
 I always enjoy Radio Alexandria-The next chapter, Alan Sane, Radio Timtron Worldwide, Fred Flintstone music show, Marion's attic, VORW, RNYI, Ramsey's Roadhouse, etc. Even re-runs for shows that I may have missed.  Grin
WB9LUR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 01:44:03 PM »

I had heard him imploring his listeners to send in reception reports to keep the most active frequencies going. He did say that he would be going off the air at the start of the New Year, but it seems that he is already gone.
 At certain times of the day or night, he could be found on several stations across the bands. A little ridiculous and probably unsustainable, even with his big money backers.
 I guess that the money and his luck ran out. I was getting a little tired of hearing his apocalyptic message over and over again anyway.
 I for one, would like to hear better programming on SW. I know that money talks and the bills have to be paid and we get what makes money for the station.
 I am a WBCQ listener and was a little disappointed when they began carrying Br. Stair. Maybe they can fill the time with something worthwhile now?
 I always enjoy Radio Alexandria-The next chapter, Alan Sane, Radio Timtron Worldwide, Fred Flintstone music show, Marion's attic, VORW, RNYI, Ramsey's Roadhouse, etc. Even re-runs for shows that I may have missed.  Grin

I have a new show on WBCQ starting in Feb with an inaugural test broadcast and then weekly on Saturday's starting in March...

http://www.RadioNewMusic.com

. .

73, Randy / WB9LUR - http://www.CallingDX.com

. .
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 02:32:14 PM »

He must have known that he was about to be busted, given that he was arrested on December 18th.  The charges against him could easily result in what is effectively a life sentence at his age (84), if convicted.

From what I understand (but haven't heard myself, directly), WRMI and WBCQ have already pulled Stair's broadcasts.

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 09:37:37 AM »

Hi and Happy New Year to all.

I do not listen to religious broadcasts, but Brother Stair's powerful signal could always be "seen" just down from the 10 MHz WWV signal.
I just fired up my most recent 'toy', an OLD Lafayette HE-10 and while listening for the WWV signal, there was Br. Stair yacking away.

Sad about his problems..... came as a surprise to me.....

ron
N4UE

If you're not the lead sled dog, the view never changes......
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 02:10:23 PM »

I have a new show on WBCQ starting in Feb with an inaugural test broadcast and then weekly on Saturday's starting in March...

I certainly wont be listening to that but my #3 son, who is an aspiring musician, might be interested and has been informed.

I want hours of daily late 40's -60's rock, R&B, soul, rockabilly, doo wop, country, bluegrass, etc. Most of it on the BCB ended this past year around here.
Thankfully I have 20+ GB from Napster, Limewire, Kazaa and others long gone.

Carl
HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 03:45:28 PM »

I certainly wont be listening to that but my #3 son, who is an aspiring musician, might be interested and has been informed.

I want hours of daily late 40's -60's rock, R&B, soul, rockabilly, doo wop, country, bluegrass, etc. Most of it on the BCB ended this past year around here.

Carl
Carl, they come close on these stations in the evening-9395/9455kHz WRMI out of Fla. and 5085kHz WTTW out of Tn.

Not a ham, but an avid hobbyist in HF world. All things, short of transmit happen in this shack.
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 03:54:29 PM »

Carl
Carl, they come close on these stations in the evening-9395/9455kHz WRMI out of Fla. and 5085kHz WTTW out of Tn.

WTWW (not WTTW) has oldies and sometimes classic country with a ham radio "bent."  One or two ham advertisers and some talking on various aspects of ham radio.  Its biggest problem is that its schedule is erratic -- sometimes not on at all.  The 31 meter broadcasts on WRMI tend to be more reliable.

HFCRUSR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 08:12:19 AM »

Carl

WTWW (not WTTW) has oldies and sometimes classic country with a ham radio "bent."  One or two ham advertisers and some talking on various aspects of ham radio.  Its biggest problem is that its schedule is erratic -- sometimes not on at all.  The 31 meter broadcasts on WRMI tend to be more reliable.
Thanks for correcting that. You're also right about WTWW's erratic thing lately. But when they get past the Christmas music marathon and back to their regular stuff they're pretty good. I myself listen to WRMI on 9455kHz most every night to fall asleep as they are pretty solid into Norcal.
I just wanted Carl to know as I figured he doesn't hang in the BC bands much.

Not a ham, but an avid hobbyist in HF world. All things, short of transmit happen in this shack.
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 10:12:52 AM »

With Brother Stair gone, some of the domestic SW stations lost maybe 10-15% of their paid airtime. Going to be a little tough replacing that.

Good luck to them, though -- I would hate to see SW radio die.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 07:26:22 PM »

Brother Stair lives on. Heard his "show" today on a couple of frequencies as I was tuning around. Apparently "some" big SW outlets haven't pulled him just yet. Possibly something to do with how he buys radio time. It wasn't uncommon for him to sign an annual contract and pay in advance. His recent criminal charges have no bearing on contractual broadcast agreements since he is not the station operator. His people could conceivable continue to supply recordings and buy time as "Overcomer Ministry" as long as the station is willing to sell.
K6RQR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2018, 11:24:14 PM »

This POS pedophile, thief and kidnapper, "Brother" Stair has been yelling for at least 30 years from pulpits and over the air that Jeebus is coming soon and the apocalypse is following him. Well, Jeebus' watch must have stopped because he hasn't returned. BTW, his title of "Brother" is an indication that Ralph had no familiarity with a Bible college or divinity school. He found himself a great little racket and did well at that compound of his. BTW, just to give an idea of what it was like for his poor "flock", South Carolina can get mighty hot and humid in the summertime. Well, the only house that had air conditioning was Stair's place. Its interesting to read the testimonies of people who got out of there because of his extremism. Just another authoritarian jerk claiming to speak for the imaginary sky god up in Heaven.
 I love what the great George Carlin said about this stuff. He described a God that had this list of 10 things that you must not do or you could be sent to a horrible place for an eternity of suffering in fire and brimstone and gnashing of teeth. And why would God do such a monstrous thing - because he loves you!
 I hope that Stair ends up living out the rest of his pathetic life behind bars. He earned it.
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 02:37:25 AM »

I have some concern for the people left behind in the compound. A major storm just swept up the East coast. Brother Scare likely took all the money to pay his legal fees and left nothing behind. These people surrendered their assets and savings just to get into the compound. These people have relatives, friends and families who may still care about them.
 The flock likely has severe mental disorders and need deprogramming from the delusional Overcomer Church of the Imminent Rapture.
 The aftermath of many of these religious compounds have been a tragic, self-fulfilling prophecy. like Waco, Jonestown and Heaven's Gate. It gives me the creeps. I trust that local law enforcement is watching the situation.
 I also heard Scare yesterday on shortwave. They do re-runs. There must still be money in it. Who still supports this message of insanity?
N0TLD

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 04:10:44 AM »

Good question. I don't know why any broadcaster still supports his message of insanity (well put), but if he paid in advance or has some other contract or deal with them, well, follow the money.

Still, his crapola has been removed from the AM and FM stations it had been using, and I imagine once the money dries up or the deal is over, he'll be dropped from SW for the lunatic sicko pig he is.

I also worry about his 'flock' -- even though I have a hard time fully sympathizing with them (at least the adults, as children tend to have no knowledge or choice in the matter) because they bought into the nonsense, I do sympathize and I wonder what is happening and will happen to them. For sure they will desperately need counseling and support and a real detox to rid them of the craziness he stuffed into their fragile minds.

EDIT: That's not to say all the craziness can be removed -- there was obviously at least some amount of it in their minds to begin with, enough to get them to buy into the madness.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 04:15:43 AM by N0TLD » Logged
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2018, 08:25:53 AM »

Stair is a psychopath. I understand that type of person really well, I've observed them, written about them. They simply run their agenda and everything else is about appearing to be an acceptable person. His ministry made him seem acceptable. Ancient Israelis were instructed to detect psychopathy in the younger years and execute them before they could cut their wide swath through humanity. We put up with decades of severe abuse from them then finally, after multiple felonies and decades of abuse we manage to jail some of them for long periods... I half expect this Stair guy to wriggle out of punishment! Psychopaths get it over on courts, parole officers, police, etc. all the time, how else could it be that they often have very long histories of felonies but are not incarcerated or executed?

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: