The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grundig 750?  (Read 8781 times)
KA1OWC

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2018, 02:47:37 PM »

Would welcome some opinions on the Grundig 750...There are some decent prices out there right now and the radio really appeals to me...Thanks a lot!

Steve, KA1OWC
Retired Lieutenant Colonel, US Army
Army Nurse Corps
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 03:42:47 PM »

Would welcome some opinions on the Grundig 750...There are some decent prices out there right now and the radio really appeals to me...Thanks a lot!

We had a thread on this a few years ago, but here goes...

I've had one for about 6 years.  For general SWL use, it's just fine, and its FM section is great.  Its 1 kHz digital readout makes it almost useless for SSB, but then again, it's not designed to be a ham receiver.  But it does have a separate audio output that's normally used to connect to a stereo amp, but with a Y connector it can be fed into a PC for digital mode decoding.  BTW, it's rock-stable, and sensitivity is decent, even on 10 meters (when sunspots cooperate, anyway. Grin ).

The controls can be a bit flaky, notably the volume control and the internal/external antenna switch, but mine has been hanging in there.

For $250-300, it's a decent buy, but again, don't expect ham-grade performance.  It's a budget receiver in the same price class as the low-end Hallicrafters, Hammarlunds, Nationals, and Heathkits were, 50-60 years ago.  The price equivalent back in the day was something like the Hallicrafters S-38 series.  This receiver is 100 times better than that clunker, even when it was new.

OK, naysayers.  Your turn.Wink

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
AUSSIE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 01:48:32 PM »

Hi Steve had mine for a long time main intrest for me is monitoring hf aircraft only it does an excellent job i use mine for mobile operations hooked up to a Paordt mini whip also have a wellbrook ala-1530 active loop on a tripod location is australia its as good as my other receivers
its a good size and the audio is not bad at all..

Regards Lino..
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 07:44:17 PM »

The 750 really is a very casual use radio. What exactly appeals to you with this radio?
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 12:53:04 PM »

Have had a 750 here for nearly three years and like any radio it has some pros and cons.

On the plus side, it has tons of good sounding (for a portable) audio available from its front firing speaker.  
You can enter a frequency directly with the pushbuttons which saves a lot of time.  
There are external antenna input jacks available for all bands.  This to me is the biggest asset the radio has going for it.  Many portables do not have antenna inputs for all bands.  While the 750 does quite well with its whip antenna on SW, the use of an external antenna opens up whole new worlds.
There seems to be no annoying so-called "soft muting" anti-AGC found in some other portables.
It takes 4 D-cells and they seem to last forever.  
These are some of the biggest plus features that come to mind.

On the not so good side, if you are interested in LW, performance there has some issues.  Sensitivity seems a bit lacking and there are AM BCB images at a number of places across the LW band.  The redeeming feature here is that, as mentioned above, there is provision for an external antenna which makes it a fair performer on LW.  With just the internal ferrite... forget it.
You have to use the BFO control to clarify SSB stations.  (At least it does receive SSB... some portables don't).  Some people find this to be a problem.  However, if you have been around a while, you will remember that this is the way it was back when with your basic SW receiver.  
The nicely designed front panel may make it look like a communications receiver, but it is not.  It really lacks in selectivity.  There are only two bandwidths, "wide" and "narrow", and narrow is not narrow enough on the crowded US AM broadcast band for really serious AM DXing.  

Overall it is a pleasant radio to use.  The controls are mostly intuitive and the main tuning knob is mechanically very smooth.  This radio has given me many hours of enjoyment.  
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:58:48 PM by WA8ZTZ » Logged
KA1OWC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 04:01:31 PM »

Thanks to everyone for their opinions...Think I am  going to order one tomorrow...I just like the looks of the radio and, for the casual listening I intend to use it for, it sounds like a great radio!

Steve, KA1OWC
Army Nurse Corps
KD7RDZI2

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 01:32:46 PM »

indeed, looks nice on the pics. I am not sure whether some parts of the circuits design were taken from the Drake SW8. I wish to know whether this was the case.
W8RMV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 01:02:18 PM »

Steve- Leave us a report on how you like it.  If you haven'y ordered it, you might consider the Tecsun S-8800.   73 - Bob  W8RMV
KA1OWC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 01:14:53 PM »

Is the Tecsun S-8800 available in the USA? Thanks...

Steve, KA1OWC
Army Nurse Corps
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 01:46:13 PM »

I see the Satellite 750 review here (3.9 of 5.0):
 https://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/7256
 I like the looks of a field radio, but this isn't an outdoor radio. Variable quality control means you get a good one or a bad one. I have heard that they are getting better than they were.
 Heartland America catalog had good deals on 'reconditioned' ones a year or two ago. Now they have the Executive Satellit for sale.
 I was considering a Tecsun PL-880 that replaced the PL-660, but these are too small for my preferences. I'm looking for a portable, but more table top-sized radio.
 I see the S-8800 sold by Anon Co (I have not done business with this company):
 https://www.anon-co.com/product/tecsun-s8800-radio
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: