The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New English?  (Read 12504 times)
K4RVN

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2018, 04:52:24 PM »

I have noticed for some time that posters use then instead of than as I was taught years ago. An example  to explain is: "I like legal limit amps better than 500 watt amps".  Some would write better then 500 watt amps. Has there been a word change in schools? I am serious to know as I see this often. Thanks for any comment.

Frank
WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 04:56:07 PM »

I have noticed for some time that posters use then instead of than as I was taught years ago. An example  to explain is: "I like legal limit amps better than 500 watt amps".  Some would write better then 500 watt amps. Has there been a word change in schools? I am serious to know as I see this often. Thanks for any comment.

Frank

Irregardless of "then" or "than," I could care less.

Bigly. Grin

He speaks fluent PSK31, in JT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 05:02:36 PM »

Just
For
Fun

It appears that you actually meant that you ‘couldn’t care less’, else you’re caring more than you care to care, eh wot ?

De Ray
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 05:08:14 PM »

And then there is the sophisticated "irregardless"...

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 06:59:09 PM »

The new English saying Just saying .When somebody tells you a story and then says just saying .I do not understand even tho you just said it you have to say just saying.Or when somebidy says my Moms uhhhh. Moms meaning more than one. Have a Blessed day. Be Safe. God Bless.
..END OF TRANSMISSION.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 07:45:34 PM »

Frank
It's because peoples grasp and use of English is at an all time low, plus add in the autocorrect phenomenon and it just gets worse. Better autocorrect disease than just off the shelf stupidity because autocorrect can learn.
Staying on topic is also a problem.

The new English saying Just saying .When somebody tells you a story and then says just saying .I do not understand even tho you just said it you have to say just saying.Or when somebidy says my Moms uhhhh. Moms meaning more than one. Have a Blessed day. Be Safe. God Bless.
..END OF TRANSMISSION.

See what I mean?

Irregardless isn't a word, never was as a word and never will be a word. Another indicator of how far the apple has actually fallen, regardless of what the grammar hipsters said about it then, or now.

Or something along those lines.  Grin
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 07:48:41 PM »

It's an easy error in English. A one letter difference.

It's not the schools. It's just the usual.

VK6HP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 08:15:13 PM »

"Then" instead of "than" is simply an egregious error in whatever version of the language you speak.  But, nonsense like that aside, I often have a chuckle at our many regional differences.  The "could care less" versus "couldn't care less" is an old debate in North America, I understand.  "Couldn't" makes by far the most idiomatic sense, and is always used in the UK and Australia, but I read that there are other influences at play in the US usage.

Another one that makes me smile is that US repairers are always "changing out" components.  I guess that's better than simply changing or replacing them Smiley

Horrors taking over the civilized (civilised?) world include being "sat" somewhere like regional Brits, instead of merely "seated".

Anyway, with Australia and NZ providing such a deep vein of material for comedians, domestic and international, we don't want for home-grown material down here. I see that our "too easy" as a response to any question is the latest butt of humor for one of the better Brit comedians.  Deservedly so.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 08:42:02 PM »

Looks like things are kind of slow on this forum.....

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 08:49:27 PM »

Are u sayin i cant spel corectlie?
 Wink
Seriously though, this country does have a spelling epidemic.
Too much rap and video games, instead of good old fashioned reading a book or magazine. Many don't know the difference between to,too,two,and there,their,and they're. Hair,hare.
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 09:00:01 PM »

Looks like things are kind of slow on this forum.....
Needs more backbiting.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 11:13:48 PM »

K8AXW says::::::Looks like things are kind of slow on this forum.

There is definitely STALKING going on... WOW..

Have a BLESSED DAY. BE SAFE  GOD BLESS...

CORRECTION #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04&list=FLVdsQNtCrwd6ZgYrTfXBTBA&index=22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdz8WlCqmCs&list=FLVdsQNtCrwd6ZgYrTfXBTBA&index=26

.......................END OF TRANSMISSION.............
N0TLD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 11:47:53 PM »

Not new English, just ignorance taking over. Like 'I must of' instead of 'I must have', or how plural is now apostrophe s (radio's), or how the 'car needs washed' instead of 'needs washing' or 'needs to be washed'... and a trillion other delightful little symbols of the stupidity sweeping the country. C'est la vie.

73 de N0TLD
Mike
WZ7U

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 12:43:47 AM »

K8AXW says::::::Looks like things are kind of slow on this forum.

There is definitely STALKING going on... WOW..

Have a BLESSED DAY. BE SAFE  GOD BLESS...

CORRECTION #2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss2hULhXf04&list=FLVdsQNtCrwd6ZgYrTfXBTBA&index=22

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdz8WlCqmCs&list=FLVdsQNtCrwd6ZgYrTfXBTBA&index=26

.......................END OF TRANSMISSION.............

Why are you stalking me again Mr. Rodgers? Cease and Desist!
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2018, 02:31:37 AM »

The most common abuses on eHam are improper indefinite articles (a/an), failure to include the apostrophe in a contraction, and the lack of capitalization at the beginning of sentences and of the pronoun "I".

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: