The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New English?  (Read 13208 times)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2018, 02:41:56 AM »

Glenn,

How much of this is poor typing and then a failure to read what has been typed before  submitting?

The misuse of apostrophes (as in radio's, tomatoe's, onion's etc) is commonly referred to here as 'greengrocer's apostrophes' as it was common on chalk boards outside such shops.
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2018, 03:08:51 AM »

Unfortunately, in at least a few cases it is not accidental as some people brag about it or excuse it on the basis of texting habits.

By far the most common error by US authors is the inappropriate selection of indefinite articles.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2018, 03:11:21 AM »

Glenn, you’re blowing KTN’s mind.  Wow.
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2018, 04:24:43 AM »

The new English saying Just saying .When somebody tells you a story and then says just saying .I do not understand even tho you just said it you have to say just saying.Or when somebidy says my Moms uhhhh. Moms meaning more than one. Have a Blessed day. Be Safe. God Bless.
..END OF TRANSMISSION.

Not everybody has the same life experiences nor spelling abilities. Just sayin'. Not to mention that people who lose aren't "loosers", they are "losers". Gadz, I've been giving the head's up to grammatical losers that can't even spell it for literally decades ... just sayin'
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:27:26 AM by AC7CW » Logged

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 04:43:21 AM »

I had a manager who was very good at integrated circuit design, but who was unable to write a simple memorandum that was capable of being understood. His excuse was that 'English didn't matter'.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 05:34:00 AM »

I had a manager who was very good at integrated circuit design, but who was unable to write a simple memorandum that was capable of being understood. His excuse was that 'English didn't matter'.

And apearantley coudent find the spelt chex butin.
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 05:59:09 AM »

I am very tolerant of English language authors that are ESL or have a true mental or physical impairment. After that, I indict the educational system. Then if the author chooses to continue their erroneous ways once the error(s) have been highlighted, I then judge it to be a matter of the author's character.

Unfortunately, the latter is all too common on eHam.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2018, 06:57:37 AM »

Glenn, you’re blowing KTN’s mind.  Wow.

I heard it. It sounded like a little dud firecracker going off. Small mind blown. Wow.
KB3FEI

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 07:40:39 AM »

Unless I am mistaken, KE's response is deliberate in choice of words, for humor and effect. Very enjoyable. And states the case. de kb3fei, dale
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2018, 07:55:13 AM »

Peter,

Glenn,

How much of this is poor typing and then a failure to read what has been typed before  submitting?

The misuse of apostrophes (as in radio's, tomatoe's, onion's etc) is commonly referred to here as 'greengrocer's apostrophes' as it was common on chalk boards outside such shops.

I am quite guilty of what you suggest. I generally have a terrible time proofreading my own writing - as my wife regularly reminds me!

I like the "greengrocer's apostrophes" reference. The lexicon of it reminds me of my time living in the UK.

The one that always introduces some debate is the pluralization of an initialism: "I started out with one CD but now I have a large selection of CDs." I am old enough to recall that the plural form of an initialism was typically formed by adding an apostrophe and an "s" (e.g. CD's). But modern grammatical guides have seemingly deprecated this form in favor of simply appending an "s".  But I do love dotting the i's and crossing the t's!

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 08:16:04 AM »

Not new English, just ignorance taking over. Like 'I must of' instead of 'I must have', or how plural is now apostrophe s (radio's), or how the 'car needs washed' instead of 'needs washing' or 'needs to be washed'... and a trillion other delightful little symbols of the stupidity sweeping the country. C'est la vie.

I see all those, particularly the wrong use of apostrophes, and more:

lose/loose

to/two/too

their/they're/there

it's/its

etc.

But I don't think it's growing ignorance. I think it's something different.

In the past, most of what we read was stuff that had gone through some sort of proofreading process. Newspapers, magazines, books, etc., had all had their content looked at by writers, editors, etc. Even the printers would catch mistakes.

Now we see a lot more that is written without any of that. So the ignorance of many is made visible.

73 de Jim, N2EY

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2018, 08:21:38 AM »

Unless I am mistaken, KE's response is deliberate in choice of words, for humor and effect. Very enjoyable. And states the case. de kb3fei, dale

Thanks, and that was 100% true.  Some of these guys really need to lighten up.  They "must of" had their sense of humor amputated in their "yoot."  (I'd better use quotes, otherwise some wet blanket might take me seriously.)  

But I rilly done did got lurnt to talk and rite good in skool.  After all, its are country, right?  We must speek proper-like Amuhrican. Grin

Guys, this is a ham radio board, not one owned by a Perfesser of English at some hoity toity university. Wink

He speaks fluent PSK31, in FT8...  One QSO with him earns you 5BDXCC...  His Wouff Hong has two Wouffs... Hiram Percy Maxim called HIM "The Old Man..."  He is... The Most Interesting Ham In The World!
K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2018, 08:51:22 AM »

....and as ol' Snuffy Smif would have put it.... 'nuff said!    Grin

Will Rogers
K5WLR
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2018, 08:58:20 AM »

HELLO for all the GENIUSES out here..  WOW....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STeVTzWelns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNgv4Jp6ipc

HAVE A BLESSED DAY. GOD BLESS . BE SAFE..

...........................END OF TRANSMISSION..............................

W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 09:19:03 AM »

Now we see a lot more that is written without any of that. So the ignorance of many is made visible.

That's an interesting observation, Jim. Thanks.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: