The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xiegu X5105  (Read 21205 times)
KU3X

Ignore
« on: January 14, 2018, 05:23:57 AM »

I see where MFJ (The Wal Mart of Ham Radio) is now selling the Xiegu X5105. 

https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=X5105

They say that it comes with a 2 year warranty from Xiegu. I am wandering if MFJ will repair these little radios if they break or if they have to be sent back to Hong Kong?
I did email MFJ but no response.

I also wander if stores, like HRO, will be carrying the X5105 now that MFJ is selling them?

I have to say, the X5105 does have a lot of neat features. The internal battery idea is a big selling point for me.

Barry, KU3X
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 08:02:37 AM »

I can't imagine who would buy this over a KX2 in order to save $90.

KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 08:45:41 AM »

I can't imagine who would buy this over a KX2 in order to save $90.

It's all in what you like to play with. I have a KX2 and a KX3. I also have an IC 703+ and a four band YouKits. I am thinking of getting an X5105.

The KX2 lacks 6 meters and 160 meters. No big deal to me. Remember, you pay extra for a hand mic with the KX2. So it's not cut and dry when you say $90.

I am not advocating everybody go out and purchase an X5105, just sharing some information.

Barry
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 08:48:20 AM by KU3X » Logged
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 10:00:34 AM »

Post script:

$90 ?

KX2  $749.95
ATU option $179.95
LiPo battery $59.95 (this does not include the charge which cost more)
Hand mic  $59.95
Total: $1049.80

That is a $379.85 difference, a far cry from $90.
Now you are comparing apples to apples.
All of the above KX2 options come with the X5105 at no extra cost.

Barry
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:16:14 AM by KU3X » Logged
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 07:00:57 PM »

>>>That is a $379.85 difference, a far cry from $90.

The $669 remaining is still a lot of money to risk.
KL7KN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 07:47:36 PM »

Even if the radio goes back to China - not too big a stretch of the imagination - MFJ will eatt he shipping and customs costs, no small deal. 

If they fix the rig locally,  this is certainly possible, the turn around will be weeks shorter than the slow boat to China and back.

I looked at the X-5105 and took a pass, the ergos look just too messy.   The KX2 did cost more, but to me anyway, more than worth the extra bucks...  The English language documentation is a real plus. 

Still, the -5105 radio is manufactured by  a major company that makes coms gear (Marine & commercial radios) so it isn't the usual garage radio or made by a concierge in job lots.   The company has a bot of history in ham gear and seems to listen tot he customer base....

Good to see another major player in the market. 

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 07:58:44 PM »

Good to see another major player in the market.  

I agree completely, and hope they succeed.

However, their entry into the ham market was hit and miss.

Based on the cost of this particular model, it'll have to be very good, to justify purchasing it.

One of the selling points of Chinese equipment, if not the main selling point, is/was the price. At close to $700, there are other choices out there.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 06:04:26 AM »

I wonder if we'll see it on Sherwood's forest of receiver evaluations soon...  Cool

KL7KN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 12:09:18 PM »

I see where MFJ (The Wal Mart of Ham Radio) is now selling the Xiegu X5105. 

https://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=X5105

They say that it comes with a 2 year warranty from Xiegu. I am wandering if MFJ will repair these little radios if they break or if they have to be sent back to Hong Kong?
I did email MFJ but no response.

I also wander if stores, like HRO, will be carrying the X5105 now that MFJ is selling them?

I have to say, the X5105 does have a lot of neat features. The internal battery idea is a big selling point for me.

Barry, KU3X

Barry

The MFj site is very explicit -

MFJ IS NOW THE ONLY AUTHORIZED NORTH AMERICAN SALES AND SERVICE DISTRIBUTOR FOR XIEGU PRODUCTS!

MFJ is the exclusive North American Distributor of this new ultra-portable multimode HF transceiver.

I added the bold/underline to make the point.   So it would seem that MFJ is 'it' - they are based in MS and have easy access to a major shipping center.

I look at some of the many, many posts bewailing issues with warranty on You Kits rigs and the weeks to months long delays in getting any kind of warranty service.   I don't see how MFJ could be anything but better....much, much better. 

KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 04:32:03 AM »

Without a long term track record, your statement may be correct.
If your statement is based on features, I would not agree. I feel you are getting a lot for your money.
Over 2000 people paided a lot more for a KX3 and you never hear them crying about what they spent.
If this radio turns out to be a dependable radio, I think $670 is a very low price based on features. Yes, performance does enter into
the equation. For now, it's a wait and see game.

I think a lot of people complain about the price based on where the radio is made. Just because it is made in Hong Kong does not mean it has to be junk.
It very well may be, but at this time, we don't know that?
It did meet FCC specs which is a good starting point.

Barry
www.ku3x.net

VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2018, 05:24:04 AM »

Without a long term track record, your statement may be correct.

And that's what I was referring to. Features, they are in the sales brochure, no surprises there. Whether it has all the features one needs/wants, it's a value judgement.

I won't buy anything above a certain amount before seeing some 'real world' feedback, for a period of time. Nothing to do with where it's made. I just bought an IC-7300. I deliberately waited one year plus to make the purchase, and it's an Icom product.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 03:50:00 PM »

I have read the tea leaf's  and it says "poor receiver, and poor transmitter  in the forest"

I think many of the QRP designers miss the potential of these QRP radios. These days with LDMOS amplifiers that can be driven with 5 watts or less giving us a compact 1.5kw station. The poor performance  of these low power radios is denying the makers sales because nobody would dare connect such poor performing radios to their main station antennas mainly due to the lack of receiver and transmitter performance.

These comments apply equally to the Elecraft line, which have generally excellent receiver performance but whose transmitter performance would be be unacceptable to feed into a 1.5kw solid state amplifier.

QRP radio is more of term  that is associated with cheap and nasty rather than  being a low powered high performance radio. There is no reason whatsoever  why a QRP radio should  not match the best top of the range radios in both RX and TX performance. In the case of transmitter performance engineering a 5 or 10 watt super clean transmitter with high efficiency is even easier.

The Chinese have the advantage of economy of scale and economical manufacturing costs, however if they dont want to invest in RX and TX performance they might as well not produce these radios because they will always considered be crap thats less than useful. You get the feeling that all that they about is  making money and turning out the best crap that they can rather than come up with true engineered solution rather than another copy cat radio that is just as useless as the last crap radio.

I wonder if we'll see it on Sherwood's forest of receiver evaluations soon...  Cool
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 04:01:48 PM »

QRP radio is more of term  that is associated with cheap and nasty rather than  being a low powered high performance radio. There is no reason whatsoever  why a QRP radio should  not match the best top of the range radios in both RX and TX performance. In the case of transmitter performance engineering a 5 or 10 watt super clean transmitter with high efficiency is even easier.

The reason is that QRP has typically been associated with homebrewing simple equipment. QRP per se is not homebrew, but this is the view in the majority of cases. Something that you assemble yourself, make a couple of contacts, and then onto build something else.

As for quality manufactured QRP equipment, unless they are very energy efficient, to be used portable, their cost do not justify. One can buy a regular, good quality 100W HF transceiver, and dial back the power.
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 05:45:56 AM »

QRP quality? Better look at the Sherwood web page and look where the KX3 stands. JUNK? I think not. Even the IC 703 + is not a bad radio.  "Would I contest with my YouKits HB-1 / four band radio?" No ! Is it junk?  I have worked all kinds of DX with it. Can't be that bad.
Keep in mind, you kind of get what you pay for. Don't expect Kenwood TS 990S performance out of a 300 buck little Chinese radio.

Turn the power down on a 100 watt radio? Yup, it works. But if you are operating portable, you better carry a BIG battery with you. My KX2 using less than 2 amps on transmit with the internal LiPo battery and I can have an fun afternoon in the park with a radio I can fit in my coat pocket. Try putting your FT 891 and a big battery in your coat pocket......and......operate an afternoon in the park.

Driving a 1.5 KW amp? "Why would you purchase a QRP radio and do that?  QRP radios where not designed to drive a monster amp and I would not expect them to do so. "What is QRP and why does one purchase a QRP radio?" 

REALLY   >>>>"I have read the tea leaf's  and it says "poor receiver, and poor transmitter  in the forest" Sounds like more dumb talk to me !  What facts do you have to back up that statement? Do you own an X5105? Do you even own ANY QRP radio?

Actually, your entire post sounds like all you are just trying to do is stir up trouble !

Barry, KU3X

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:54:03 AM by KU3X » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 08:25:52 PM »

To expect "top end" performance with a QRP receiver, one that's small enough to backpack or operate portable, at a reasonable price is unrealistic.

As for the transmitter signal....a watt is a watt....barring T7 notes or splatter.

You said it best Barry.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: