The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xiegu X5105  (Read 21269 times)
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2019, 06:48:29 PM »

>>>(BTW, SSB is next to useless at 5w...)<<<

So says you.   I've found that SSB is a lot of fun QRP.
That's never minding the digi modes that require SSB.

I do it for fun and it sorta seems it works more often than not even
on dead bands like 10M. 

I must be doing something wrong.  Wink

Allison

N0YG

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2019, 06:20:51 AM »

Well I sent my X5105 to MFJ the only USA distributor for repair with the sales receipt like they told me to do. After about a month I called and they said they could not find the radio. They called back after they found it but said they can't fix it and it had to go back to China. Then they asked for the sales receipt again I said it was sent with the radio. Now there is no sign of the receipt and they say they have NO RECORD of me ever purchasing it. It is going on 2 months and not a word from MFJ on the status of the radio. Right now it looks like this is not going very well. I am going to call MFJ today 2-25-19, will post whatever I find out.
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2019, 04:29:34 AM »

Well I sent my X5105 to MFJ the only USA distributor for repair with the sales receipt like they told me to do. After about a month I called and they said they could not find the radio. They called back after they found it but said they can't fix it and it had to go back to China. Then they asked for the sales receipt again I said it was sent with the radio. Now there is no sign of the receipt and they say they have NO RECORD of me ever purchasing it. It is going on 2 months and not a word from MFJ on the status of the radio. Right now it looks like this is not going very well. I am going to call MFJ today 2-25-19, will post whatever I find out.
If you used your charge card to purchase the radio, call your charge card provider and get a copy of your bill for that month.
I always send equipment via Fed Ex or USPS Priority Mail so I have a tracking number. I also ALWAYS send a copy of the receipt and never the original. Whatever paperwork I send with equipment, they always get a copy and I keep the originals.

I sure hope you get your radio back, it seems like a nice little QRP radio.

Barry
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2019, 09:43:35 AM »

I am going to call MFJ today 2-25-19, will post whatever I find out.

Well.....?

N9LCD

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2019, 01:11:27 PM »

N0YG:

If you paid by credit card,your card issuer SHOULD be able to give you a copy of the receipt or equivalent information.

NO CHARGE!
VK3YE

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2019, 02:25:00 PM »

(BTW, SSB is next to useless at 5w...)

Most of my QRP contacts are SSB with good success. Some video examples:

1. SSB QRP can work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z51toS16mbs

2. Field Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5PoVG9foH8

3. Contest DX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pORkKmdlRWo

If you are within a single hop of a good sized amateur population (say 10 000 hams) then you will do well.

And you need a good selection of bands, with 40m probably being the easiest, but 80, 20, 10 & 6m also having great contact opportunities throughout the solar cycle. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 02:27:08 PM by VK3YE » Logged

Peter VK3YE

One ham radio post each day. Visit http://dailyantenna.blogspot.com
Author of top selling $US 5 amateur radio ebooks on antennas, QRP, getting started and more. See http://home.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/vk3yebooks.htm
W5TD

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2019, 04:14:14 PM »

I can't imagine who would buy this over a KX2 in order to save $90.

Someone who wants to run 6 meters?
BOJANY

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2019, 12:23:06 PM »

I can't imagine who would buy this over a KX2 in order to save $90.

Someone who wants to run 6 meters?

And anyone not living in USA  Roll Eyes
Try to calculate the price of KX2 in ieg. Europe which is approximately 990€ in to USD and there is your answer  Wink

...I wonder if a ham in USA be willing to pay 1100USD for bare KX2? The price in EU for Shack-in-a-box converted to USD from Euro 1.800 USD.

Suddenly Xiaegu X5105 seems like great deal (for the rest of the world anyway Smiley )
W3TW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2019, 12:43:48 PM »

I bought one from MFJ. I used it with an end fed 80 meter half wave antenna in the shack. A local commercial AM radio (740Khz) overloaded the receiver front end on 160, 80 and 40 meters.
MFJ was gracious enough to accept the return.
I bought a Yaesu FT-818 for portable work. No issues there.

Tom W3TW
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2019, 02:10:45 PM »

Does anybody know if Xiegu addressed or is addressing the first note CW truncation issue with the X5105?
Some users deny it has an issue, but it's clearly shown on youtube and it addresses this issue in QST.    So it does exist.

I would love to have an X5105 but the truncation issue is a deal breaker for me since I am 100% CW when I operate QRP portable.

Barry, KU3X
EI3IBB

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2019, 02:01:06 PM »

When I used my hyendcompany.nl antenna for the first time, the portable 4 band 100 watt , I strung it up between two trees in my mothers about 10 feet lowest and 30 feet highest or less and the first time I used it make contact on the x5105 5 watts to OS0C 512 miles away in Belgium and AM70I, 874 Miles away in Spain with same antenna, same 5 watts no counterpoise no earth, coax wasn't even touching the ground as the little transformer was up in the tree a bit and I had the Coax curled up. Both contacts on 20 meters SSB in the early afternoon.

I haven't used it much yet but so far impressed.

The X5105 gets to the U.K very well on 80 meters with the myantennas.com EFHW 8010, it impresses most people when I tell them I'm running 5 watts.

The X5105 is a decent radio, I'm testing a new Bets FW that is not in final release yet, it has goo NR but the NB function never worked but hopefully will in the final release because it does nothing to eliminate or reduce electric fence noise.

Yes it can get overloaded but the Attenuator usually solved this.

I paid about 450 Euro's for the radio 2nd hand from the U.K, can't find a 2nd hand elecraft and even if I could it would cost 2.5 times the price, while the elecraft is no doubt a superior radio is that performance worth 2.5 times the cost at least for Europeans ? the X5105 must be a lot cheaper in the U.S too.

X5105 has a great battery, tuner, antenna analyzer and it works pretty well for portable use , saves carrying more wires and batteries.

The elecraft still uses NiMh cells I believe ? and can't output full power with them either ?

The X5105 is very compact and I'll be bringing to to the Alps in Austria in July with the Hyendcompany 100 watt portable mini 4 band end fed.
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2019, 04:38:42 PM »

The elecraft still uses NiMh cells I believe ? and can't output full power with them either ?

The Elecraft KX2 uses LiPo batteries and you do get full power out with them. Yes, the KX3's major drawback is the NiHh batteries. I changed mine out to LiPo's.

Barry
EI3IBB

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2019, 04:02:30 AM »

How much do they charge for LiPo ? should cost no more than about 25 USD considering what you can buy today.
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2019, 01:43:29 PM »

How much do they charge for LiPo ? should cost no more than about 25 USD considering what you can buy today.

Here's the good news: The following link shows how to install the LiPo battery. Super easy job.

http://www.ku3x.net/portable-qrp/kx3-lipo-battery-mod

Here's the bad news: They no longer stock the battery. I've been looking for a replacement. If I find one I will surely post it.
For a lower capacity battery that will work, you can use the same battery that the  KX2 uses. It's still an improvement over the
junk battery Elecraft suggest we use.

Barry
KU3X

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2019, 02:09:10 PM »

Here's the good news: The following link shows how to install the LiPo battery. Super easy job.

http://www.ku3x.net/portable-qrp/kx3-lipo-battery-mod

Here's the bad news: They no longer stock the battery. I've been looking for a replacement. If I find one I will surely post it.
For a lower capacity battery that will work, you can use the same battery that the  KX2 uses. It's still an improvement over the
junk battery Elecraft suggest we use.

Barry

CORRECTION!   The KX2 battery won't fit. Too thick. Sorry...the hunt goes on.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: