The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Global QSL Service  (Read 19389 times)
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2018, 04:35:42 PM »

I do marvel at the knee jerk need to respond to any posts with discussion about how we can improve LOTW, QSL managers, the QSL printing process, etc.

Last one: Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed Lips sealed
WB4M

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2018, 03:36:40 PM »

I rarely get anything from the buro anymore.  Everything is direct or LoTW it seems.  I bought 100 cards about 3 years ago and still have 98 of them.   I've used Global for almost 100 cards sent but don't know if the other guy ever got them or not.
NU1O

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2018, 05:43:57 PM »

I rarely get anything from the buro anymore.  Everything is direct or LoTW it seems.  I bought 100 cards about 3 years ago and still have 98 of them.   I've used Global for almost 100 cards sent but don't know if the other guy ever got them or not.

Pick 5 random numbers from 1 to ~100 with each representing a QSO.  Send emails to the five "winners" and ask if they've received your Global QSL.  That should give you some idea as to whether they're mailing them out, or not.

Chris  NU1O

WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: March 16, 2018, 09:24:03 PM »

Might be worth a try, but there's a problem.  My email return rate to DX stations is less than impressive.  A lot of guys don't seem to have the time to respond to email queries about QSOs, much less more esoteric queries.  You might have to do 20 emails to get enough back to learn anything at all.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2018, 09:48:27 PM »

Just got a "buro" mailing yesterday.  Just under 100 cards.  About 60 per cent JA (I suspect Global QSL penetration there to be very, very low).

Still of the 40-odd remaining cards, there were none from Global QSL.  Dates ranged from recent to 2013.  That's still a bit of an ambiguous outcome.  I'm not sure what fraction of the "buro" cards Global QSLs was at its best (whether now or in the past).  So, it is still possible that I could have "struck out" in a given mailing and have it mean nothing.

Still, we are starved for good news here.
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2018, 09:58:11 PM »

Just got a "buro" mailing yesterday.  Just under 100 cards.  About 60 per cent JA (I suspect Global QSL penetration there to be very, very low).

Still of the 40-odd remaining cards, there were none from Global QSL.  Dates ranged from recent to 2013.  That's still a bit of an ambiguous outcome.  I'm not sure what fraction of the "buro" cards Global QSLs was at its best (whether now or in the past).  So, it is still possible that I could have "struck out" in a given mailing and have it mean nothing.

Still, we are starved for good news here.

If you are using Global QSL to request confirmations of QSOs needed for awards, then it should be straightforward to assess its success rate. Your logging application does keep track of outstanding requests for confirmations of needed QSOs, and the means by which those requests were conveyed, doesn't it?

#1 DXCC Honor Roll, DXCC Challenge 3000
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2018, 03:57:11 AM »

I'm not sure what fraction of the "buro" cards Global QSLs was at its best (whether now or in the past).  So, it is still possible that I could have "struck out" in a given mailing and have it mean nothing.

4-5 years ago, I got at least one and maybe two batches of Global QSL cards through the W3 bureau.

When they came (years ago), they were a sizable fraction of that months haul. Maybe as many as a quarter of that months.

I have not received ANY obvious GlobalQSL cards in at least 4 years. I will pull one from 4 years ago and scan it and point out how I recognize "obvious GlobalQSL" from other cards. They are pretty distinctive in format (QSO info in a specific area in a specific format) and IIRC they advertise with a link to globalqsl printed on them.
WO7R

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2018, 10:46:12 AM »

If you are using Global QSL to request confirmations of QSOs needed for awards, then it should be straightforward to assess its success rate.

Haven't been using it long enough to deliver a straightforward answer on that score.  And, worse, because of this very thread, I have duped the QSOs I really wanted using conventional cards.  So, for me, at least, this is not an avenue to learn anything.  We'll have all made up our minds before I can report anything.

I also did a little math on the cards that came in on Saturday.  It turns out that in this mailing, at least, the cards were overwhelmingly from Japan (like, about 60 per cent of the cards or better).  When I looked at cards that were not from JA or DL (second place), no other country (and here, I am counting from where the card was mailed, not where the QSO was made) had more than three cards. 

The JA and DL card sets were reasonably efficient.  These were all cards I didn't want and took about 1.5 years to get to me.  The other buros, more like 2.5.  Add another 6 months or so for a card I would want (minimum time for me to get it to them) would mean that JA/DL is close to the longstanding rule of thumb of two years, but other buros are closer to three.

Measuring from when the QSO took place to when I got them, they all seemed significantly slower than JA or DL.  The sample size was not large, but it looks like closer to three years turnaround than two for these smaller volume "buros".

So, that adds another year's delay before we cry wolf for any country outside of JA or DL, if we go by this  one mailing.
K3TN

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2018, 04:23:34 AM »

Fred K3ZO, manager of the W3 QSL buro, reports that they recently received 3 boxes of QSLs from Global QSL.

Sigh, that means I will now have to use up my remaining Global QSL credits replying to my share of those...

73 John K3TN

John K3TN
WA3MD

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2018, 06:02:36 PM »

Well that’s some welcome news. I wonder what the dates of the cards were
N2TU

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2018, 08:20:36 AM »

Yes, the W3 buro has received Global QSLs...maybe, Azar is finally doing what he agreed to do when we paid him!

Lou N2TU
DF8DX

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2018, 01:43:46 AM »

I was using globalQSL quiet a lot (>10.000 cards) between 2011...2015 (somehow). It is actually pretty convenient. However, it turned out to be not very reliable. I got lots of complaints. I have even sent some cards to myself but they never arrived. After some time I stopped using that and I went back to my reliable printer.
You have to trust them totally. There is no confirmation if the cards are ever sent. When I complained I got reply from them saying that I should upload the QSOs again and they will send it for free. This is good customer service but I want them to arrive at the first try and not keep sending until nobody complaints anymore.

You may also order 100cards to be sent to your home (to answer direct requests). Even with that packages got lost. They sent it again (for free) but it shows that probably the mailing from Israel is the problem. If this system would be in Germany, it probably would work.

VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: April 10, 2018, 02:42:53 AM »

I have even sent some cards to myself but they never arrived.

I've done the same on two occasions. I have not received my own cards either.

Marvin VE3VEE
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2018, 06:57:32 PM »

I have even sent some cards to myself but they never arrived.

I've done the same on two occasions. I have not received my own cards either.

Marvin VE3VEE

Depending on how long ago you 'QSLed yourself', this may be all the confirmation (no pun intended) you need to make a decision.

Not sure why this thread stretched for so long then. Wink
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2018, 01:02:21 AM »

Not sure why this thread stretched for so long then. Wink

Hope Never Dies  Grin

Marvin VE3VEE
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: