The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio connecting to PC via USB. Does audio go over the USB?  (Read 3351 times)
N1AUP

Ignore
« on: January 19, 2018, 02:58:15 AM »

I've started playing with interfacing a Kenwood TS590SG to my PC for pan adapter, rig control, Rtty, SSTV, etc.

Does audio between the PC and the Kenwood travel over the USB cable, or do you have to plumb mic audio and speaker sound between the sound card and the radio?

I think the real challenge is going to eradicating all the RFI that seems to be spewing from the UPS, the PC, the wireless networking and the cable TV system.

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 06:05:35 AM »

The radio has a built-in sound card which connects to the USB. Digital audio passes over the USB, Receive and Transmit, along with rig control functions. I imagine that there is a special driver that must be installed on the computer to use this feature. The internal sound card then shows up as "USBCODEC".

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
VA3VF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 02:56:21 PM »

Does audio between the PC and the Kenwood travel over the USB cable, or do you have to plumb mic audio and speaker sound between the sound card and the radio?

Only if you point the digital software to use the CODEC. It has most likely been installed by Windows, if you already connected the radio to the computer.

In my experience, the manufacturer's driver is for the VCP, and even that, you may download a newer version from the VCP's developer website. I don't know which one is used by Kenwood. Icom uses the Silicon Labs.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:58:51 PM by VA3VF » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: