The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One speaker, multiple radios. Would a mixer work?  (Read 2570 times)
N1AUP

Ignore
« on: January 22, 2018, 07:01:46 PM »

If you have one speaker or headset that you want to connect to multiple devices - external speaker jacks on radios, PC sound card outputs, etc, could you use an audio, stereo, sound mixer to combine all the inputs into one output?

https://www.amazon.com/Rolls-MX51S-Four-Channel-Stereo-Mixer/dp/B0002BG2S6/ref=sr_1_5?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1516676097&sr=1-5&keywords=4+channel+stereo+mixer

Would this also work with one mike going into multiple devices (mike into a PC sound card, radio mike inputs, etc)?

You can get a decent 4 channel mixer for not much money on Amazon.

Thanks
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 09:04:12 PM »

An NCS-3230 is what you seek.
AD4DZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 05:24:38 AM »

I have a Yamaha MPG12x and a pair of KRK Rokit 8 speakers connected to it. I then have 6 radios, a scanner, and the computer sound fed into the mixer. This gives me great sound from all devices, the ability to modify the sound, and the master to turn all sounds down at once.
 I do not use the microphone inputs but it can be done very easily.
AD4DZ
N1AUP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 05:45:54 AM »

This seems like it might work, and it's not horribly expensive.  The only concern would be RFI issues when I was transmitting.

https://www.amazon.com/LOOP-MIXER-Portable-Channels-Stereo/dp/B01M68UK38/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1516715021&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=stereo+mixer&psc=1
VK6HP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 05:48:58 AM »

The microphone mixing is not always smooth sailing in that quite a few mixers, especially low-end ones, are intolerant of RF at anything other than modest levels.  This includes models that don't have overt "pin 1" problems.  It's often possible to engineer fixes and, as part of that, I have made a series of XLR connectors and patch leads with pi filters built around miniature RF chokes. The usual things such as choking power leads and good earthing practices are also important.

In the end, though, I've gone with a system that switches various microphones to various radios, with the radio selection also switching both an output audio and an electronic RF switch (i.e., various radios switched to linear amplifier input).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:57:54 AM by VK6HP » Logged
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 02:09:32 PM »

I use an old Shure M68 mixer.  You can get them on eBay for less than 40 bucks.  It seems to be very resistant to RF although the antennas are located a good distance from the shack. The mixer has XLR microphone inputs, so I purchased a handful of Chinese XLR connectors for a couple bucks each, and soldered in some resistor padding on the connectors for each speaker level input from the radios.  The mixer output goes to a pair of amplified computer speaker. It works great.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:12:48 PM by K3GM » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: