The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Amelia Earhart Video  (Read 3081 times)
KD6OJG

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2018, 06:09:17 PM »

In a video I saw about Amelia Earhart on youtube there was a point in the beginning where it was talking about all the people who were tracking her and it showed two guys in a room with a lot of radio equipment.  One of the men was in front of a radio and with one hand turning a four-pronged antenna of some type.

Below is the video and you can see this image right at the beginning at .18.  Does anyone know what type of antenna this was or it's usage?

"Triangulating Amelia Earhart's Radio Signals after Forced Beach Landing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPko65DtPtM 
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 07:54:00 PM »

It is two loops.  Instead of being round it was wound as a diamond.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 04:14:11 AM »

There's a fascinating discussion of the RDF unit on AE's plane in Amelia Earhart: The Mystery Solved, by W7TF, Elgen Long.  (I've read almost all the books about her disappearance and this is far and away the best, IMO.)

The rotating antenna unit installed on AE's Electra was a brand-new unit, matched to her existing airplane receiver.  She never successfully tested them together before the flight, and there's reason to think she didn't know that the band markings on the antenna, 1-6, were NOT the same frequency ranges as the band markings, 1-6, on her receiver.  So she very possibly had no working RDF on her plane.  :-(
VE7DQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 11:20:28 PM »

That would be Elgen Long, W7FT. 
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 03:56:17 AM »

That would be Elgen Long, W7FT. 

Right--the single best book on the subject I've read, and I've read nearly all of them.  Long and his wife did a superb job of research, then of sorting it all out--different sources were on different time zones--and then of presenting it clearly and logically.  Long's experience as a long-haul pilot in the Pacific, and his ham and aero radio experience, enhanced his analysis beautifully.   
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 09:06:05 AM »

Oh, VE7DQ, thanks for correcting the callsign--I didn't notice at first!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: