The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BCB DX  (Read 31931 times)
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2018, 11:18:16 AM »

It's amazing how some stations run such low power at night. I know of one in Mobile, AL that runs 19 watts! Now how many are you going to reach with that?  Kinda like "Why bother. "It's great though if you can still hear them. There's a a station I listen to day and night if I can hear them. They're in Golden Meadow,LA which is south of New Orleans, literally on some bayou I'm sure. They only run about 250 watts at night. If you're within range you might like "The Rajun Cajun".  Artists like Fats Domino are often heard.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 11:24:18 AM by NO2A » Logged
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2018, 11:54:00 AM »

Women steal the souls of men? That explains so much. Wink  But seriously, how the hell does someone come up with lunatic beliefs like that?

Cheesy   Well, he was spilling the beans on our secrets. You guys are not supposed to know that until our conquest is complete!

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
N3PM

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2018, 01:22:17 PM »

N3PM , in regard to the "Australian Mystery set, I take it you're referring to the so named crystal set that was designed in 1932 (by a man named  Proton??) and reputedly was a "mystery" because it worked so well?
I have seen a couple of reproductions of this design and thy are surprisingly capable for their simplicity.

Yessir, that's the one. There are several variations on the original but, almost all keep the original interlaced solenoid coil idea. I did see one done with a toroid.
Mike  N3PM
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2018, 05:46:18 PM »

It's amazing how some stations run such low power at night. I know of one in Mobile, AL that runs 19 watts! Now how many are you going to reach with that?  Kinda like "Why bother.

FCC rules to protect other stations when the skywave is in. I service a KW daytime station that is 10W after dark. Another down in Cambridge MA is 2.5W after dark. Both have good coverage within their own towns.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/am-clear-regional-local-channels

Carl
N0TLD

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2018, 07:58:59 PM »

Women steal the souls of men? That explains so much. Wink  But seriously, how the hell does someone come up with lunatic beliefs like that?

Cheesy   Well, he was spilling the beans on our secrets. You guys are not supposed to know that until our conquest is complete!

Cheesy

I'll keep my mouth zipped!
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2018, 06:35:37 PM »

Anyone use a Sony TR-84 from from from the late 1950s?
N0TLD

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2018, 06:16:16 PM »

I had a TR-84 for about ten years, and used it often. It was/is indeed 'Super Sensitive', at least enough to make the name/claim valid! Smiley

It had fairly nice audio for its time and its size, a little muddy but perfectly listenable.

A few years ago I gave it to a friend who had become a newly indoctrinated MW fanatic. Smiley He asked if I knew of a decent starter radio and I told almost any AM radio will do but it always helps to have more quality and size, etc.. I handed him the TR-84 because I know it's a nice little DXer. He's been using it a lot!

73 de N0TLD
Mke
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2018, 02:54:53 PM »

I was looking at the Transatlantic AM DX videos over on Youtube, some of our stations here in the U.S. have made it over the pond to Scotland as well as other places. I know some of our stations are directional and spray their signal east to avoid interfering with other stations in other states.

I wonder if there any European AM (MW) stations that use directional antennas and push their signals west to avoid interference with other stations in Europe.
Do any AM (MW) stations in Europe use directional antennas?

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
WA2ISE

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2018, 11:05:45 AM »

At my QTH (Oradell NJ, FN20xw) found a station WPTX on 1690LHz at night from LEXINGTON PARK, Maryland   At only 1KW.  A local station, WRCR, is currently dead.  Surprised how far 1KW could go (but maybe I shouldn't be, as this station is pretty close to the 160M band).  They play oldies, which can be hard to find on AM anymore.   
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2018, 05:55:09 PM »

At my QTH (Oradell NJ, FN20xw) found a station WPTX on 1690LHz at night from LEXINGTON PARK, Maryland   At only 1KW.  A local station, WRCR, is currently dead.  Surprised how far 1KW could go (but maybe I shouldn't be, as this station is pretty close to the 160M band).  They play oldies, which can be hard to find on AM anymore.  

WPTX 1690 playing easy adult favorites from Lexington Park MD over WVON Chicago and CHTO Toronto tonight here in S.E. Michigan. 
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2018, 09:58:23 AM »

At my QTH (Oradell NJ, FN20xw) found a station WPTX on 1690LHz at night from LEXINGTON PARK, Maryland   At only 1KW.  A local station, WRCR, is currently dead.  Surprised how far 1KW could go (but maybe I shouldn't be, as this station is pretty close to the 160M band).  They play oldies, which can be hard to find on AM anymore.  

WPTX 1690 playing easy adult favorites from Lexington Park MD over WVON Chicago and CHTO Toronto tonight here in S.E. Michigan. 

WPTX has been dominating the 1690 spot on the dial the past several mornings pre-dawn. 
Nice thing about the X-band is that the relative lack of congestion makes it possible to DX a 1000 watter.
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2018, 10:01:23 PM »

Last year, I heard a station on 1700 playing South Asian music, which I've been told was probably a station in New York (WRCR -- apparently now off the air).

Never heard New York here at my location west of the Cascades.

The X band often can deliver some surprises.
WA8ZTZ

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2018, 01:55:41 AM »

Last year, I heard a station on 1700 playing South Asian music, which I've been told was probably a station in New York (WRCR -- apparently now off the air).

Never heard New York here at my location west of the Cascades.

The X band often can deliver some surprises.

Nice catch in WA.
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2018, 10:35:30 PM »

I have a 6 transistor pocket radio that will actually tune from 530-1700 khz,and I've heard stations on both 530 and 1700. On 530 there's a classical station from Havana. I don't remember what the station was on 1700.(  I confirmed it was really 1700) I'd like to modify a radio to listen to 160m cw.
N0TLD

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: April 18, 2018, 05:38:53 AM »

I have a 6 transistor pocket radio that will actually tune from 530-1700 khz,and I've heard stations on both 530 and 1700. On 530 there's a classical station from Havana. I don't remember what the station was on 1700.(  I confirmed it was really 1700) I'd like to modify a radio to listen to 160m cw.

That would be interesting, a pocket transistor radio that copies CW on 160m. If you ever do that, please post about it somewhere, I'd be very interested in the project.

73 de N0TLD
Mike
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: