The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parking garage height  (Read 5806 times)
N1RVN

Ignore
« on: February 01, 2018, 12:07:14 PM »

Is there a standard for parking garage height?

Is it the same as my home garage door height?

I'm planning on mounting a VHF/UHF Larsen in the middle of the roof of my 2013 Ford Explorer. I need to drive into parking garages daily - and it's a different parking garage every day, so it's no use to measure one. At home I have about 16 inches from the roof of the Ford to the bottom of the open garage door. Larsen has a 17 inch dual bander (Larsen 2/70 SH) that would fit the bill so I'm wondering if that's a standard parking garage height I can count on.

Thanks,

N1RVN
Ervin in Atlanta
KT4NR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 12:15:25 PM »

Sadly no. I have to deal with garages from a little less than 7ft to more than 11 ft in height. Thus, no antennas on the roof of the truck for me.

I have my Larsen NMO270 on the driver's side front quarter panel. Its about all I can do. I still clang pipes and such.
N1RVN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 12:31:36 PM »

Thanks Daniel,

that's exactly where I had my Diamond NR770HNMO on my 2003 Chevy Tahoe - sadly I had a wreck and insurance totaled it - had to buy another vehicle. The 2013 Explorer has the quarter panels attached a different way, no bolts to mount the L bracket.

Also, I decided it's time to grow up and make that big decision... to drill the hole on the roof...

N1RVN
Ervin in Atlanta
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 01:44:11 PM »

I would bank on 6 foot 6 inches as being okay. Some might clear 6'8" or a bit more but don't bank on it being more than that.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 05:57:48 PM »

The short Larsen is not a very good antenna so you would be better off running a full length antenna on the hood or get something like the Comet B10 NMO for the roof.

It's only 12 inches tall and will work better than the short Larsen.
K6CPO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 12:01:09 PM »

I run the short Larsen on the top of my truck (a Dodge Dakota, so it's lower than a full size) and I encounter garages of all heights.  I go to an ARES meeting once a month at a local hospital where the first floor of the underground parking is plenty high enough, but if I go down a floor, the antenna, which is just 7 feet above ground, will hit the beams. 
KF4ZGZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 02:55:07 AM »

Any antenna that is 12" or more higher than my roofline ( lifted 4wd vehicle ) gets a quick disconnect on the whip.
Yeah, not ideal, but better than "thwang,thwang,thwang,thwang,thwang .......".

Matt

Matt
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 06:07:01 AM »

On my Suburban, I have two Comet, RS-660U, NMO base, roof rack mounts http://www.cometantenna.com/amateur-radio/no-holes-mobile-mounts/antenna-mounts-and-brackets/ that allow me to lower the antennas with a simple twist of a knob.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 08:52:09 AM »

Not only is it "no," it's not even the same on different floors of some garages.  On the ground floors of my parking garage I've got a foot more clearance for antennas than when I used to park on the higher floors.
K6JH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 05:07:22 PM »

I used a 12" Comet B-10nmo on my old 93 Explorer. I don't recall ever having issues with it's height.

I'd start worrying with a 17" Larsen.

Jim K6JH
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 06:57:46 PM »

Not only is it "no," it's not even the same on different floors of some garages.  On the ground floors of my parking garage I've got a foot more clearance for antennas than when I used to park on the higher floors.

This is mostly true but you want to worry about minimum clearance not maximum.

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20wpm REAL Extra Class..
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 06:13:52 AM »

I go to an ARES meeting once a month at a local hospital where the first floor of the underground parking is plenty high enough, but if I go down a floor, the antenna, which is just 7 feet above ground, will hit the beams. 

Yes, that's the same situation I have--except that the garage is aboveground, and the floors get shorter as you go up.   Luckily I now have a reserved spot on the very bottom floor, and I can get away with an HF antenna that's around 8' without hearing the "boing boing" noise as I drive inside the garage.  :-)

I suspect there's a LOT of variation in parking garages, depending on local building codes, architects' choices, building owners' desires, and anticipated needs.
   --ken
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 07:30:28 AM »

the answer is a      spring.....Daughters   Exped.  has  mag mount near rear hatch.. and a  2 inch spring on a  1/4 wave stinger.
N1RVN

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 12:02:24 PM »

Thanks everyone,

I did some more research on the topic. The glorified Larsen turns out to be a poor choice as far as efficiency goes, at least the short one I was looking at.

Since my goal is to put up a VHF/UHF antenna that covers a large metropolitan area (we have lots of repeaters in/around Atlanta), I seems that I will be better served by a longer radiator, so I purchased the Diamond K9000 motorized mount and placed it one of the two roof rack cross bars - so antenna length is not an issue anymore.

Best,

N1RVN
Ervin in Atlanta
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: