The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 6400/6600 - New User Reports/Impressions?  (Read 66757 times)
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2018, 03:12:44 PM »

Seems like ADC overload. Assuming N6BV is line of sight, a quick calculation would be:

1500 watts = 62 dBm
10 dBi of TX antenna gain
87 dB of path loss at 14 MHz
10 dBi of RX antenna gain

62 + 10 - 87 + 10 = -5 dBm

There's also the loss due to a small hill in N6BV's direction and the fact that I had my beam pointed directly away from him.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2018, 08:58:08 PM »

Several were on air this past weekend for ARRL CW, including I'm told a very high scoring entry. I'll let you guess which one.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2018, 01:47:20 PM »

Several were on air this past weekend for ARRL CW, including I'm told a very high scoring entry. I'll let you guess which one.

I'm sure I can guess who. At that level, however, it's the Indian, not the arrow, that counts. All the top contesters have gear good enough to win.
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2018, 04:04:59 PM »

I'm sure I can guess who. At that level, however, it's the Indian, not the arrow, that counts. All the top contesters have gear good enough to win.

Absolutely! And not even using top of the line radios. A famous world-class contester uses a pair of TS-590's. He's always at or near the top of the heap in every major contest.
W8MLS

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2018, 06:05:08 PM »

I had a chance to compare the NR on my 6400 against my 590S and I can report that it is better than the 590.  With the 590 I really could not go much past 3 - 4 with out reducing the RF gain to stop the waterfall sound.   The 6400 has significantly less waterfall artifacts than the 590.   I can leave it on with the slider at about 10% and it pretty much removes most of the noise. 

The only thing I have noticed is that I loose some high end frequency response.  I would still recommend using adjusting the gain 1st and then NR 2nd,  but I can see where it will certainly help.

I suspect the better results are more of a SmartSDR 2.1.x upgrade rather than a hardware upgrade.

My friend has a 7300 and a 6400 now and I am waiting for him to do some comparisons.  So far he is very impressed with the 6400.   

I have not had any RFI to test the NB out on yet.   I hope I never have too.
N3HEE

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2018, 06:40:53 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8nk7K3gjGo&t=1s

Joe
N3HEE
CW Academy Advisor (Level II)
N1EU

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2018, 09:27:03 AM »

something looks really wrong with the waterfall coloration in that youtube video
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2018, 10:02:09 AM »

something looks really wrong with the waterfall coloration in that youtube video

You are not kidding.  My 7600 looks better than that.  I have to wonder if the guy has it improperly set up because if that's what the display looks like, NO THANKS.

The rig already has that old Ten Tec toaster oven stamped metal look about it, it should at least have a decent display.
N1EU

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2018, 11:47:45 AM »

evidently there was a problem with the cellphone camera that made the video
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2018, 12:37:28 PM »

Check the release notes - there are a whole raft of waterfall color/fill/fill-density/FPS/rate options.

I have mine fairly monotone in comparison.

Steve
K9ZW

N1EU

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2018, 12:45:24 PM »

Steve, I'm quite sure that video is not faithfully displaying ANY of the waterfall color options.  Have you watched it?
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2018, 06:40:55 PM »

Please tell me the video camera was the blame for that display in that video and not the display itself.
It looks terrible. !!

Bob
K6UJ
N1EU

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2018, 02:29:26 AM »

if you look in the video comments section, you'll see where he responded to my question about it
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2018, 06:36:11 AM »

Steve, I'm quite sure that video is not faithfully displaying ANY of the waterfall color options.  Have you watched it?

Quite of lot of the mentioned artifacts are reflections of the clothing.

Not only may he have had camera issues, but the lighting and staging introduced more issues.

Filming these types of screens must be challenging. 

Go look at one in person, or check out some other videos. 

What we also need to remember is if there was something that really wasn't right that corrections could be released in the next SmartSDR update.

Sometimes it is hard to get one's "here and now" fixation out of one's mind, given the redefinition possibilities for the architecture. 

Steve
K9ZW

KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2018, 01:37:54 PM »

Quite of lot of the mentioned artifacts are reflections of the clothing.

Not only may he have had camera issues, but the lighting and staging introduced more issues.

Filming these types of screens must be challenging. 

Go look at one in person, or check out some other videos. 

What we also need to remember is if there was something that really wasn't right that corrections could be released in the next SmartSDR update.

Sometimes it is hard to get one's "here and now" fixation out of one's mind, given the redefinition possibilities for the architecture. 

Steve
K9ZW

Don't they charge a couple of hundred bucks for software updates Steve?  Sometimes when someone pays that much money for a product they expect it to work at least as well as less expensive radios right off the bat without having to wait for software updates to be available for purchase.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: