The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 6400/6600 - New User Reports/Impressions?  (Read 64409 times)
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2018, 02:10:15 PM »

Steve, I'm quite sure that video is not faithfully displaying ANY of the waterfall color options.  Have you watched it?

Quite of lot of the mentioned artifacts are reflections of the clothing.

Not only may he have had camera issues, but the lighting and staging introduced more issues.

Filming these types of screens must be challenging. 

Go look at one in person, or check out some other videos. 

What we also need to remember is if there was something that really wasn't right that corrections could be released in the next SmartSDR update.

Sometimes it is hard to get one's "here and now" fixation out of one's mind, given the redefinition possibilities for the architecture. 

Steve
K9ZW

Don't they charge a couple of hundred bucks for software updates Steve?  Sometimes when someone pays that much money for a product they expect it to work at least as well as less expensive radios right off the bat without having to wait for software updates to be available for purchase.

They charge $200 for a software update, but only for a major new release, and those happen very infrequently. The 2.0 release that came out last year was the first release they charged for since the initial release of the Flex-6000 series five years ago.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2018, 08:10:46 PM »

Steve, I'm quite sure that video is not faithfully displaying ANY of the waterfall color options.  Have you watched it?

Not only may he have had camera issues, but the lighting and staging introduced more issues.

What we also need to remember is if there was something that really wasn't right that corrections could be released in the next SmartSDR update.

Sometimes it is hard to get one's "here and now" fixation out of one's mind, given the redefinition possibilities for the architecture. 

Steve
K9ZW

Don't they charge a couple of hundred bucks for software updates Steve?  Sometimes when someone pays that much money for a product they expect it to work at least as well as less expensive radios right off the bat without having to wait for software updates to be available for purchase.

They charge $200 for a software update, but only for a major new release, and those happen very infrequently. The 2.0 release that came out last year was the first release they charged for since the initial release of the Flex-6000 series five years ago.

If that's the case them I am pretty disappointed by what I saw.  I need to see one in person to really get an idea of what it looks like up close because if the youtube video is even remotely representative of what the display is almost unacceptable.
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2018, 08:37:35 PM »

Steve
K9ZW

If that's the case them I am pretty disappointed by what I saw.  I need to see one in person to really get an idea of what it looks like up close because if the youtube video is even remotely representative of what the display is almost unacceptable.

Same here John.  Not what I was expecting at all.  The 7610 is looking better and better  Cheesy

Bob
K6UJ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2018, 06:32:26 AM »

something looks really wrong with the waterfall coloration in that youtube video

You are not kidding.  My 7600 looks better than that.  I have to wonder if the guy has it improperly set up because if that's what the display looks like, NO THANKS.

The rig already has that old Ten Tec toaster oven stamped metal look about it, it should at least have a decent display.

I have mine fairly monotone in comparison.

Steve
K9ZW

Makes sense to me, if the color is Crap, make it monotone... Surely you can come up with other excuses?

Steve
K9ZW

Lets see, blame it on the clothing, that is a new one for me. Blame it on the phone camera? Hell my dog Boomer can even take perfect selfies with my iPhone. Cell phones are MADE to be idiot proof (NO, Boomer ain't no idiot).

Hmmm filming a sdr screen is challenging (for Flex Owners??). It IS interesting that the Icom 7610 owners can make an acceptable sdr screen video, along with thousands of other sdr owners on youtube.

Corrections will be made in an update. Flexer Lovers been hearing that for years, wait, wait and wait....

The Excuses ARE pretty puny and funny and entirely predictable from well known Flex Spinners....

I do admit, that screen was ugly.

LMAO

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 06:50:17 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2018, 06:34:27 AM »

The 7610 is looking better and better  Cheesy

Bob
K6UJ

Dang, my thoughts exactly. I guess the Flexradio will have to be taken off my Wish List too...   Wink Cheesy Cheesy

Stan K9IUQ
N1EU

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2018, 10:50:28 AM »

The 7610 is looking better and better  Cheesy

Dang, my thoughts exactly.
With some luck we may have another option in the rumored Kenwood SDR to be unveiled at Dayton (maybe).

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:52:52 AM by N1EU » Logged
SP5QIP

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2018, 01:12:44 PM »

That flex looks like cheap Chinese https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVAm2PuxZz0
Sorry flex, my money will go elsewhere.
Mike
KN7K

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2018, 01:49:43 PM »

There are many videos on youtube of Maestro taken with better camera.
The video you keep discussing here is simply have washed out colors.
BTW, I do not own Flex products yet.
KN7K
K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2018, 08:34:19 PM »

There are many videos on youtube of Maestro taken with better camera.
BTW, I do not own Flex products yet.
KN7K

Nope not washed out at all.  I just looked at the video again.  Actually very bright with lots of contrast.  Washed out is not the problem.  At any rate, it doesn't look good at all.

Bob
K6UJ
W8MLS

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2018, 06:21:28 AM »

You can configure the Flex display to suit your tastes.   The video has a  the gain set a little high for the panadapter for you Icom fan boys.   I have not seen any panadpter even close to the resolution of a Flex.   You must have a sad existence if all you do is look for ways to disparage a product that you don't own and have no clue what you are talking about.   
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2018, 06:38:26 AM »

You can configure the Flex display to suit your tastes.  

OK, then Obviously the Flex Lover that made that video has "Odd tastes"  along with all the Lovers who are attempting to defend that BUTT UGLY video.

What is next? You Gonna call that Glued on, slapped on after thought Maestro on the front of a Flexradio is a beautiful specimen of an American Radio?? You Flex Lovers have Odd Taste.

Thanks to youtube, You do not have to own a Radio to determine that it is BUTT UGLY.

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 06:40:28 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: March 11, 2018, 06:51:11 AM »

Nope not washed out at all. 
Bob
K6UJ

The video has a  the gain set a little high

have no clue what you are talking about.   

Washed Out. NO, not washed Out. GAIN SET TOO HIGH. Can't have it both ways. At least I can agree that you all are Clueless...

Stan K9IUQ
W8MLS

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2018, 08:32:22 AM »

GAIN SET TOO HIGH

I am not talking about rf gain.  The panadapter has its own gain.   For the LIDs who have no CLUE...RTFM.
W8MLS

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2018, 08:37:00 AM »

From the manual.   

The Gain, Black and Auto controls work together to adjust how different signal levels are displayed in the Waterfall. The Black control sets the level below which all pixels will render as black. In other words, it sets the level at which signals are no longer of interest. The Auto control will automatically set the black level to just below the noise as band conditions, preamplifier changes or antenna changes alter the noise floor. To enable auto-black, click the Auto button so that it is blue.

The Gain control adjusts how rapidly the Waterfall will advance through the color spectrum for minimal changes in signal level. Lowering the gain gives the Waterfall a broader dynamic range, but lessens its ability to show small variations in signals. Raising the gain lowers the dynamic range, but provides more detail in the variations in smaller signals’ magnitudes.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2018, 08:51:07 AM »

I can hear it now as the new Flex 6600M user tells the DX station, please stand by, can't see the display, I have to go QRT for a couple of minutes change clothes and will be right back. Grin Grin

I still maintain that the display on my IC-7600 looks far better and it's an old radio.  AFWIW, the Flex 6600 really does look like a toaster oven.  The front and rear panels look cheaply made for a radio that costs that much.

I honestly think Flex screwed the pooch by trying to compete with Icom instead of staying within their comfort zone of black box SDR.  The Maestro was a knee jerk reaction to the little IC-7300's success and the 6400 and 6600 M models are the same thing in response to the IC-7610. 
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 19 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: