The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flex 6400/6600 - New User Reports/Impressions?  (Read 66758 times)
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2018, 09:03:44 AM »

Many Flex and Icom bandscope/waterfall videos are fine on youtube, so some videographers are just not setting things up right I guess.

Regarding front panels and some comments about the big screen radios coming out these days, I must say I like the Icom front panel designs that they have been using in recent years.  Of the American manufacturers, I would much prefer Elecraft over Flex front panel design.  But in order to compete with Japanese and Chinese SDR radios which have a chunk of the market, I suppose costs had to be cut somewhere, and cosmetic complexity of the Flex front panel is probably the first area to control costs.  I guess that's how they keep the price of the 6400 and 6600 series in the right ballpark.

Looking at a Flex 6300 versus Icom IC-7300 comparison video, I noticed a couple of differences in their scope displays:
1. the Icom has fast response, the Flex has a slow "liquid" response.  Maybe this is user settable?
2. the Icom has persistence (like a Tek storage scope), the Flex does not.  But the "liquid" scope display kind of makes up up for some of that.  again, user settable?

And, on the waterfall display:
1. the Icom shows some of the noise floor background, the Flex has a cleaner background.  user settable gain or threshold maybe?
2. the Icom waterfall colors are moderate, while the Flex colors seem high contrast, almost to the point of being garish.  again, user settable?

73, Ed
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2018, 09:31:16 AM »

Yes the do look like costs were kept low.   And from the look of it, if you press and hold the main tuning knob on the 6600M for 15 seconds it goes "DING",,, and a nice warm strawberry pop tart falls out from under the display.  Perfect for contests or, if you need a break to go change clothes so you can see the display. Grin

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Grin Grin
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2018, 09:51:06 AM »

GAIN SET TOO HIGH

I am not talking about rf gain.  The panadapter has its own gain.   For the LIDs who have no CLUE...RTFM.

Why would anyone think you "meant" RF GAIN??  You did say:

The video has a  the gain set a little high for the panadapter for you Icom fan boys.  

I don't see anything about RF gain, nor did anyone but YOU say anything about RF GAIN..

Go look in the Mirror and ask yourself: Why am I protesting so vigorously and publicly making myself look silly (and or clueless)?

With only 30 posts, you are new here. Here is a tip for you AND all Newbie Flex Lovers:: be careful what you post and never lie.

Stan K9IUQ

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:59:04 AM by K9IUQ » Logged
W8MLS

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2018, 12:17:59 PM »

Stan K9IUQ

It's painfully obvious you HATE Flex radios.    Were you even aware that the waterfall gain can be adjusted?  The point is you can adjust how the waterfall looks to suit yourself.   

Having a high post count is not indicative of anything except post counts.   You really need to get a life and quit obsessing over Flex radios.

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2018, 02:01:13 PM »

Were you even aware that the waterfall gain can be adjusted?

It's painfully obvious you HATE Flex radios.  

You really need to get a life and quit obsessing over Flex radios.

Your Newbieness is showing. Anyone who has ever used any waterfall knows that the gain, colors, brightness,contrast etc can be adjusted.

It is painfully obvious you LOVE Flex Radios and have the need (and Duty) to Defend and Obsess  your beloved FlexRadio. This is not necessarily a good life that ends well, trust me.......  Sad

Meanwhile, I hate nothing, including Flex Radios. My Life is Good, and I love keeping you Flex Lovers entertained AND honest. Especially the Clueless Newbie Flex Lovers..

LMAO

Stan K9IUQ
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 02:15:31 PM by K9IUQ » Logged
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2018, 04:36:16 AM »

Remember there are two flavors of the newest Flex radios, with knobs/display and black-box style.

With either you also have the option of running the GUI to your PC, an Apple product (both computers and the iPhone/iPad options) or with some models to a separate monitor by HDMI.

Current GUI's available are (I've included URLs where appropriate):   

SmartSDR for Windows (your PC option, also runs under Parallels on a Mac) http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/flex-6000-signature-series/smartsdr/
SmartSDR for Maestro/M-model (this is a tailored version for the Maestro and Front Plates of the 6400M/6600M models) (comes preloaded)
DogparkSDR (this is your iMac macOS version, produced and sold by Dogpark) https://dogparksoftware.com/dogparkSDR.html
SmartSDR for iOS (this is your iPad/iPhone version, available through the Apple Store) http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/flex-6000-signature-series/smartsdr-for-ios/

There are other Flex-6x00 GUIs that folks have personally done, as you could do through the FlexRadio FlexADP (Application Developers Program) http://www.flexradio.com/amateur-products/flex-6000-signature-series/smartsdr-api/

A lot of choices - from dedicated Hardware Interfaces, PC Windows Interfaces, Apple Mac Interfaces, iPhone/iPad Interfaces and a roll-your-own interface option.

Steve
K9ZW

W8MLS

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2018, 08:35:55 AM »

Your Newbieness is showing. Anyone who has ever used any waterfall knows that the gain, colors, brightness,contrast etc can be adjusted.

Apparently NOT.  You guys are bashing the waterfall in the video.   All I did was point out it can be adjusted.  You Flex bashers have serious issues.  I have never bashed any radio.   NO radio is perfect including Icom.

Meanwhile, I hate nothing, including Flex Radios. My Life is Good, and I love keeping you Flex Lovers entertained AND honest

I hope your life is good.  Your posts  indicate that you are compensating for something by having to bash other radios.  However to be a good sport any time you are in my area stop on by and I will let you operate my station.  You may actually enjoy using a Flex.
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2018, 09:38:59 AM »

That flex looks like cheap Chinese

None of the three American manufacturers (Flex, Elecraft, TenTec) seem to put much into the industrial design of their rigs. They tend to use sheet metal and flimsy knobs and hardware on their products. The Japanese big three, on the other hand, tend to put much more thought and effort into the mechanical and industrial design of their rigs.

Take the Elecraft K3 as an example. It's a bunch of circuit boards and sheet metal held together by screws and what they call 2D fasteners. A typical Japanese rig has a solid die-cast chassis that gives the whole thing mechanical stability and also electrically isolates the various sections of the rig. Compare the insides of a K3 to an IC-7610, for example. As another example, compare the main VFO knob on a Japanese rig to the K3. The VFO knob on my FTdx-5000 is smooth as butter. The K3's VFO knob uses two pieces of felt to provide friction and it doesn't feel anywhere near as smooth as the VFO knob on a much cheaper Japanese rig.

The Flex rigs are similar to Elecraft mechanically.
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2018, 09:49:27 AM »

How's this for a screen presentation:

Just my lowly old F6300 doing what it does best - working DX.

KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2018, 10:34:44 AM »

A lot like the Chinese rig but not terrible.  Of course it's not a Maestro display and you are probably wearing dark clothing so as not to wash out the screen. Grin Grin

K6UJ

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2018, 04:34:34 PM »

Very nice John !

Bob
K6UJ
N6YFM

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2018, 10:07:49 AM »

It looks fine to me.  It works, shows the needed information, and no issue with colors.
I intend to buy a Flex 6400.  I also own an Icom SDR.
Both work, both get you on the air.
All radios do something.  Some do some things a little better.
So depending on what someone needed/wanted, that is why all
of them are circulating on the new and used market.
Choose the make/model car that YOU think is better.
They all get you down the road...

Cheers,

Neal
KA4KOE

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2018, 08:06:37 AM »

I do wish the software team would enable users of SmartSDR to customize colors. Some with vision issues have difficulty with the color selections.
KA4DPO

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2018, 08:54:22 AM »

I do wish the software team would enable users of SmartSDR to customize colors. Some with vision issues have difficulty with the color selections.

The same is true for Icom.  The colors can be customized a little but not enough to really change the visual impact of the display.  Probably a cost issue for the developers who assume that the standard selections are good enough for the majority of users.
KA4KOE

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2018, 10:11:43 AM »

Well, it seems the audio cutout issue with the Maestro's has been solved. I own a 6300/Maestro. Like any product, it has warts but works. Call me a pragmatist but definitely not a Kool-Aid drinker.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 19 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: