The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spray for smoke odor=with no rinse or residue?  (Read 17800 times)
N6QWP

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2018, 08:00:01 AM »

Looking for a spray that leaves no residue, requires no rinse and will take away the smells of previous owner's smoke.

Something that can be sprayed everywhere: panel, knobs, meter, inside the cabinet, on chassis, components, variable capacitors, coils, wiring, etc.=without fear of damage.

Does such a miracle product exist?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 08:02:05 AM by N6QWP » Logged
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 09:28:20 AM »

I did some insurance-covered stereo restoration for items that had been through a house fire. We used Simple Green and 409 spray and paper towels/swabs on the cabinet and chassis for the most part.
 Be aware that Simple Green and 409 may not be recommended for cleaning everything. Read the caution label.
 The fabric speaker grilles were replaced as they could not be washed.
I don't know of any miracle product that can wash and is safe for everything.
 I have washed a 'mostly' complete chassis in a dishwasher before. I let it sit in a warm, dry attic for 3 months afterwards.
 The meter, trimmer/padder caps and any LED/LCD displays may be the most fragile components and should not be wetted. Washing may detune adjustable caps and coils.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 10:01:41 AM »

QWP: You seek the same as many others.....and a single product doesn't exist!  Perhaps one day.....but not today.

I suggest you search back through this forum and read the many (and I do mean many), posts on this subject for a combination of ways to deal with this problem.

Bottom line, if you now own a piece of gear that a smoker owned, be prepared to either get rid of it or spend a great deal of time cleaning it up.  Cry

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:16:47 AM »

I guess the lesson here, is not to buy something at an outdoor swap meet.....but that is where some "deals" are (and some turn out not to be).  

Hard to get a true sense of the item and whether it might be foul.  Didn't notice it until I left it in my radio room over night.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:19:07 AM by N6QWP » Logged
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 11:53:51 AM »

I would try shining a light through a grill or opening. See the discoloration.
KE0ZU

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 02:46:09 PM »

A spray bottle of Ammonia and some paper towels.   Fast, works very well.    However, be prepared to have a very nice, well preserved paint job under the Nicotine, like this

Regards, Mike
https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
Pics and bold print are usually links.
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 04:46:43 PM »

Thanx Mike--Have you tried it on circuit boards (underneath)?  Wondering if any negative impact on parts?  

Won't be able to wipe down, so more like "flushing" or using a brush to wash down everything....and let dry.  Just concerned about residue left behind.....particularly on connections: plugs and jacks.

In searching for other posts, seems like ones that are referenced by others in their replies can not be found individually:  just goes to the category that they were listed in....not specific threads or posts.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 04:59:00 PM by N6QWP » Logged
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 05:38:54 PM »

In searching for other posts, seems like ones that are referenced by others in their replies can not be found individually:  just goes to the category that they were listed in....not specific threads or posts.

Not sure what you mean. I often find the native search feature on forums lacking.

Get much better search results by typing keywords followed by the site name, into a search engine, example:
clean nicotine site:eham.net
KE0ZU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 07:10:42 PM »

For circuit boards, after washing, I'd rinse with distilled water, from the grocery, then use a hair drier and thoroughly dry.   

Regards, Mike
https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
Pics and bold print are usually links.
KE4OH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 08:17:21 AM »

Someone mentioned Simple Green. Please don't use it on anything aluminum. It will eventually attack it.

73 de Steve KE4OH
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 09:53:34 AM »

QWP:  see what I mean?  Here we go again.  A repeat of previous posts.  Roll Eyes

The only answers are, get rid of it, be prepared to try or use several
solutions (answers) and forget about ONE thing to solve your problem.  Sorry man.  Been there; done that and have a closet full of T-shirts!

I used to service CB radios and I speak from a lot of experience.  None of it good.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
AE5GT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 03:05:50 PM »

A spray bottle of Ammonia and some paper towels.   Fast, works very well.    However, be prepared to have a very nice, well preserved paint job under the Nicotine, like this

[

Thats not nicotine , thats patina , some guy went to the trouble of getting lung cancer to put that there, you charge extra for that. 
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 07:54:32 PM »

I have used OxiClean mixed with distilled water in spray bottle.  Didn't hurt anything.  Stains literally run off.
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2018, 08:10:58 AM »

Appreciate all of the responses so far.  I have read what posts I could locate here on the forums (when searching for "smoke odor").....and am still hoping for something simple that sounds more promising.

New products, new hams trying old tricks and new ideas are always emerging.

I am not the first and certainly will not be the last to encounter this plague.....and I am sure that bringing this topic once again to the fore, will not be a waste of everyone's time.

If you have found a "solution" (that works for you), please let us know.

Specifically looking for something that can "flush away" the smoke residue and odor.....that will not cause shorts or deteriorate components after the application.....and can be used as a One Step process.....without requiring additional flushing or wiping down of the chassis and parts inside.

Thanx for the indulgence of those who "have heard it all before"......some of us have not and are still looking.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:25:27 AM by N6QWP » Logged
WB0CJB

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 10:58:40 AM »

I have a TR4C that caught the brunt of my dad's smoking. I used 409 to clean the front panel. DO NOT clean the blue filter media that is behind the dial diffuser and meter. It will take the blue off. If you do clean it don't use anything but mild soap and water.

I just let the smoke smell just eventually go away without having to clean it. I would take and clean the tubes using Simple Green and a paper towel though. The tubes will run cooler due to the absence of nicotine residue
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: