The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spray for smoke odor=with no rinse or residue?  (Read 17772 times)
N5KBP

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 03:42:11 PM »

Remove the covers and place rig and covers in cardboard box. Cut 4 in diameter hole and run some of that dryer vent to a commercial ozone machine you can rent. Leave in box with ozone generator running for 24 hours. Check smell. If still there Rinse and repeat until no smell. Been there done that but didn't get the damn T-shirt.
N5KBP
N4MQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2018, 06:29:09 PM »

Under the chassis and away from any dials or plastic, I sprayed brake cleaner and washed off the crud from the vari caps of a ranger and the chassis patina ran off. It washes metal well without rubbing, then let it air out side.  Reoil the cap / switch shafts and treat the contacts of switches with anti-ox.  I tried washing it before and got minimal smell reduction or chassis cleaning, then tried the cleaner with good results.  Woody
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 03:57:30 PM »

Any reason NOT to lightly spray things with Windex spray?  Or any other that could be recommended?  Has seemed to work on cases and areas that are not critically susceptible to shorts or soaking.
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 07:58:48 PM »

Found a pretty expen$ive product ($25)....spray.....called "Tronic Kleen" that purports to be harmless to paints and plastics, leaves no residue.....and has no chlorinated solvents.  Contains no freon.  Rapid dry.  By Four Star Chemical.  Contains Napthas?

Has anyone tried this?  Going to try it under the chassis on boards.....unless someone has negative comments.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 08:06:21 PM by N6QWP » Logged
N8FVJ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2018, 04:57:07 AM »

Put gear in a sealed bag with linseed for a week.
VE3EGP

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 02:43:41 PM »

I don't know if you can obtain it, but carbon tet would do the trick. Don't know if the dry cleaners still use the stuff today.

Back in the day, when I did color TV service, we used to use it to clean up contacts on the rotary television tuners. Worked well and left no residue.
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 06:37:04 PM »

Thanx, that's one of the things I remember from my early childhood.  My dad was into both radios and chemicals...one day while exploring the attic, somehow I ended up opening a can of Carbon Tet (for some unknown reason).  

Next thing I remember was having my dad hang me out the window and making me breathe deeply for quite a while.

Perhaps that accounts for some of my idiocyncracies  ;-)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 06:41:04 PM by N6QWP » Logged
WB0CJB

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 08:01:11 AM »

Carbon tet did an awesome job on old carburetors. My dad used it when he overhauled carbs in the 60's. You could get really dizzy if you didn't have very good air circulation. I did once and that was the last time.

The government ended up outlawing it due to it being a carcinogen.

WB0CJB
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2018, 08:27:07 PM »

As CJB said, it's been determined to be a carcinogen.  I used it for years and we had a tank containing 200 gallons of it on our power house 3rd floor.  It had a hose that went to part of the power house that housed large, open frame synchronous motors.  We used the carbon tet to extinguish fires in these motors until someone pointed out (after many years) that heated/vaporized carbon tet gives off phosgene gas!(sic) which is deadly.

Good stuff....used it many times for cleaning CB radios that were loaded with tobacco tar and spider webs.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2018, 03:36:09 PM »

Some products will destroy panel lettering, do a lot of testing first.

I use Scrubbing Bubbles on bare aluminum like inside an amp, be quick and it wont etch, repeat as needed and follow up with pretty warm water, sponge up, and then the hair dryer.

Carl
KI4ZUQ

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 11:01:58 AM »

Another property of carbon tet is cumulative. You breathe and/or absorb it and your body keeps it. It is not eliminated. This can go on for years in small doses until the body collapses. That's what the Navy told us.

Karl
KI4ZUQ
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2018, 12:04:53 AM »

I have the perfect solution. But it requires a rinse and drying time.
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2018, 06:51:12 AM »

Care to share that with us?  Any "perfect solution" would be of interest to all.
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2018, 01:41:43 PM »

Just took rig outside and sprayed boards, wiring, chassis and anything else I could get at, except the front panel and associated knobs, meter, plastic windows, etc. with the "Tronic Kleen".  Airing it out to dry.  Will advise if it helps at all.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 01:45:39 PM by N6QWP » Logged
N4UE

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2018, 04:24:07 PM »

DON'T use Simple Green (original).
Use Simple Green Extreme. Clear color, no stink, etc.....Hard to find (Amazon is your friend), but Boeing certified for use on Aluminum. Know more than Boeing? Then go for your cleaner of choice..........YMWV
(Your Mileage WILL Vary)

ron
N4UE

Smiley

If you're not the lead sled dog, the view never changes......
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: