The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spray for smoke odor=with no rinse or residue?  (Read 17793 times)
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2018, 06:42:50 PM »

Well, didn't seem to accomplish much....some diminished odor....but still present ;-(

On to try Windex or the Simple Green (clear) next.....requiring a "flush" with fresh water?

Still waiting for the "Perfect Solution"
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2018, 02:07:37 PM »

Well, tried flushing entire radio with Windex.....let dry, then flushed boards and chassis once again with Tronic Kleen.

Odor still present.  Still waiting to hear back from N4NNY with his "Perfect Solution".

If he doesn't reveal his cure, I guess I will have to try spray Brake Cleaner.....but, I have huge reservations on that one.  I know how "hot" the chemicals in it are.

I'm starting to reluctantly accept what K8AXW has said about having to ultimately get rid of the radio.....but I sure don't want to have to give up.  

I also do not want to ruin something by using all of these sprays on the components, boards and plugs.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 02:16:09 PM by N6QWP » Logged
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2018, 04:13:38 PM »

I don't think it's possible to thoroughly clean without some disassembly, and cleaning individual parts with chemicals, and a small brush.

Akin to cleaning rosin from a board with 90% alcohol, and a toothbrush.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2018, 09:39:48 AM »

I apologize. I was away for work. Just got home.

Yeah. Krud Kutter. Available at Home Depot or Lowes. Dissolves nicotine. Blow out dust. Spray on liberally until it is running and dripping off. wait 1 minute, then rinse with hose on low or mist. Then blow excess water out, and put the unit to dry either over a force hot air heater vent (in winter), or in the sun on a hot day, or in a hot garage or shed for a couple days.

I take all the tubes out before this process, of course. I also take the meters out. I leave everything else in. Something, if the knobs are real bad, I soak them in a cup of Krud Kutter for 5-10 minutes and rinse with water.

As far a my experience, I have done both tube and solid state using this method, Krud Kutter has not damaged any paint on steel or any plastic. However, I did do a radio with a painted aluminum front face, and it took off all the paint (the aluminum was nice and new though! LOL). So don't use in on painted aluminum.

You would be amazed with this afterwards.

Try it on a small area first to test it.

Here is a PDF file of one of the radios I did using Krud Kutter:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/8y8rarad0w0dcnj/1948+RCA+Victor+8X681+before-after.pdf

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 09:51:56 AM by N4NYY » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2018, 09:55:56 AM »

NYY:  Did you find it necessary to use distilled water (Walmart - 0.89/gal) rather than tap water. 

I found that using very hot water made the drying faster.

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2018, 10:04:03 AM »

NYY:  Did you find it necessary to use distilled water (Walmart - 0.89/gal) rather than tap water.  

I found that using very hot water made the drying faster.

I use well water, right out of the hose. I just don't blast it. I use it on low or mist. Mist is best. I have never had a problem. I have done a couple old CBs using this method, and worked flawlessly. Key was to make sure it is dry (easy in summer temps).

When drying, I do turn the unit upside-down, gravity sucks out the water.  Then in a couple hours, right side up.

When I went on a old CB Facebook page and shared this info, they thought I was nuts and called me stupid, among other things, because electricity and water don't mix. I was going to burn down my house, or the unit was going to explode. Still waiting. LOL
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 10:06:22 AM by N4NYY » Logged
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2018, 12:26:10 PM »

OK....this is on an old TS-940.  Lots of ICs, transformers, coils, little variable caps, rheostats and multi-pin plugs?  Many PC boards....hard to get under them.  Not like an old tube rig.

Scary trying to "flush with hose".....guess spray bottle is ok (have done it now twice with Windex).  Just worry about water getting inside somewhere and not drying out before it causes a problem.

Weather is anything but conducive to good drying out of electronic boards and components.

Thanx for coming back with that, N4NYY.  Was just looking for Ozone machines???

I guess I will keep trying until I ruin the radio.....or find something that works.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 12:41:33 PM by N6QWP » Logged
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2018, 01:44:00 PM »

I have not done a modern rig, and would not try it on anything with surface mount components (SMD), as static discharge would cook them.

What I would do, is if you are willing to remove the boards, is do the entire chassis, face, knobs, covers etc. Then do the boards with something else. Some of the boards may be able to be done with Krud Kutter.

What threw me off was this was a boatanchor forum, and I did not read the comments from the beginning. So my bad.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2018, 01:57:13 PM »

OK. I just took a peek at the TS-940, and that looks took modern for my method of cleaning. If the smell is too strong, the best thing is to sell it to a smoker.

I will never buy a unit that came from a smoker. And I have bought equipment that was said to have not been great condition and not a non-smoking home, and the thing smelled like it came from a fireplace and was in fair at best.

Conversely, I have bought radios in good condition and they looked damn near mint.

One thing that worked for me was putting this odor absorber in a thick garbage bag with the rig, seal the bag, for like 2 weeks.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gonzo-Natural-Magic-8-oz-Odor-Air-Magnet-4031A/301612694
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2018, 02:24:56 PM »

Yea, that's what I was worried about.  I hate to give up in a fight, but perhaps this is a lost cause.  It's a shame, because I really wanted to make it work.

Have already replaced the power supply with the "new" upgrade mod using the Quint Phoenix supply and the new avr board mod.

Oh well, I guess you can't win them all.  I sure will be more careful of swap meet purchases in the future.  Thanx
KE0ZU

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2018, 06:54:46 PM »

Haven't tried the Ammonia yet?   

Rinse with a couple gallons of distilled water, shake vigorously, blow out extra water with compressed air or hair drier,  shake again, then place under heat lamps for a couple days.

I've also used a pressure washer, and the soap sold for same, to clean some radios.
RCA AR-88

Johnson VikingII

Both methods work very well.

Regards, Mike
https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/
Pics and bold print are usually links.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2018, 07:21:41 PM »

Krud Kutter is biodegradable. Has no smell fumed.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2018, 10:45:58 PM »

Beautiful results!!

I'd give Krud Kutter a go but would be very careful with the component labeling in the PCBs.  (I'd try KK with a swab on one of the labels.)

I'd keep KK way from coils in a can.

I'd be very careful with plastic dials or digital readouts.

I'd use a distilled water wash instead of the mineral and chlorine laden tap water.

You probably can get the odor level down to an acceptable level but be prepared to work at this. 

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
N6QWP

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2018, 07:16:16 AM »

The TS-940 looks new inside and out.....the only problem is the smoke odor.

Going to go to HD today and pick up some ammonia and some Odor Magic.  Will give those two a try before resorting to the Krud Kutter due to my concerns over the many, many susceptible parts on this radio.

Thanx for all the ideas.  I guess I'll keep on keepin' on for a while longer.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2018, 08:54:21 AM »

Beautiful results!!

I'd give Krud Kutter a go but would be very careful with the component labeling in the PCBs.  (I'd try KK with a swab on one of the labels.)

I'd keep KK way from coils in a can.

I'd be very careful with plastic dials or digital readouts.

I'd use a distilled water wash instead of the mineral and chlorine laden tap water.

You probably can get the odor level down to an acceptable level but be prepared to work at this. 

Agree on the component labeling. Give it a test first.
I have gotten it in coils in cans, washed it out, many times no issue.
I have used tap water every time (no chlorine), with no issue. Distilled water is not required or preferred.
Agree on the digital readout and meters. Maybe isopropyl alcohol instead.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: