The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learn CW in 4 hrs Georgia Tech  (Read 6287 times)
W1PYZ

Ignore
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:44:14 AM »

Anyone seen this?

http://www.news.gatech.edu/2016/10/27/learning-morse-code-without-trying

de Dennis
W1PYZ
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 10:04:24 AM »

While I seldom jump to conclusions without researching a subject, I will this time by saying, "If we could just figure out a way of sacking this load up, we could become rich selling fertilizer!" We could name it, "Southern States Concentrated BS."

IMHO, this one is even more ludicrous than "learning Morse code while one sleeps!"
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:06:44 AM by K8AXW » Logged

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 10:20:23 AM »

Looks like yet another gimmick to research. Too many would be CW operators spend too much time looking for the "optimum" method of learning the code instead of just picking a method and working at it.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 10:33:39 AM »

From the article

"In the study, participants played a game while feeling vibration taps between their temple and ear. The taps represented the dots and dashes of Morse code and passively “taught” users through their tactile senses — even while they were distracted by the game.

The taps were created when researchers sent a very low-frequency signal to Glass’s speaker system. At less than 15 Hz, the signal was below hearing range but, because it was played very slowly, the sound was felt as a vibration."

The article doesn't say what character rate or how many words per minute. Nor does it explain how learning Morse Code by vibration taps will help someone decode an actual QSO off the radio. 

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
KE6EE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 10:52:48 AM »

It's too bad that learning something new has become so distasteful to so many.

The human brain is a natual learning machine. When people forget that, they are lost.
PA0WV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 10:53:56 AM »

The article said:

"After less than four hours of feeling every letter, everyone was challenged to type the alphabet in Morse code in a final test.".
Is that 4 hour per letter?

If not, It is meant for text entry not for copy i.e. translating sound in text. Hence QRSS sending instead of listening.

I designed and constructed some time ago the MSIA, that produces Morse code by sound, tactile and visual, at the same time, as an aid for a QRQQ-er SV2KBS to increase the speed reached at RUFZXP

https://pa0wv.home.xs4all.nl/pdfbestanden/MSIA.pdf

I had not the impression that it helped despite intensive training.

W3JJW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 12:02:36 PM »

The article said:

"After less than four hours of feeling every letter, everyone was challenged to type the alphabet in Morse code in a final test.".
Is that 4 hour per letter?

If not, It is meant for text entry not for copy i.e. translating sound in text. Hence QRSS sending instead of listening.

I designed and constructed some time ago the MSIA, that produces Morse code by sound, tactile and visual, at the same time, as an aid for a QRQQ-er SV2KBS to increase the speed reached at RUFZXP

https://pa0wv.home.xs4all.nl/pdfbestanden/MSIA.pdf

I had not the impression that it helped despite intensive training.

Maar moelijk als je Nederlands niet kunnen lezen (of schreven)!  Leuk, hoor!  (Mijn vrouw is Dutch...maar vanuit Limberg, dus zaachte G en zo.  Groetjes!)

jay
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 10:47:20 AM »

Guess if it appears on the internet it has to be true. Wow, 4 hours banging on your skull and you are ready to go. I wonder if you can speed up the process if you use a couple of hammers. Two hours maybe? How about jackhammer? I'm sure it will cut the time to 15 minutes.

There are no gimmicks or shortcuts to learning morse code. I was a kid when I learned CW and it took me two weeks to learn the entire alphabet and numbers and after 42 years I still have no need for a microphone. But a ham can never own enough keys and paddles.

My two cent worth...73 de WY4J.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 01:53:06 PM »

This seems to explain the "Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech" thing.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 10:09:56 PM »

I think this is another result of a "government study."  Our tax money at work!

A Pessimist is Never Disappointed!
HB9FXW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 02:39:34 AM »

If I read that correctly, it only taught them how to send. There's no indication on the speed they reached. 1-2 WPM, I'd guess. I'm pretty confident none of these test subjects would be able to decode an actual QSO, even at 5 WPM.

I've spent hundreds of hours learning the code and I still consider myself as a newbie: I still miss letters or whole words in almost every QSO I make. A 4 hours shortcut would have been welcome, but I wouldn't spend a dime on it...

Seiuchy, free morse QSO quiz and simulator
KB4MNG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 06:04:34 AM »

Learning CW is like learning anything else, repetition. What varies with individuals is the amount of repetition to achieve the goal.

I pretty much head copy cw at 20 + wpm. It took awhile for me to get there, just have to constantly use cw.
WA8UEG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 02:43:46 PM »

I have written a 1 page article that will allow you to learn morse code at 25 wpm in less than an hour, regularly $400 but only $299 for the next 30 days.

Be on of the 1st 100 buyers and receive how to build a 1/2 wave dipole for free.

Sorry, due to limited supplies no refunds or returns.

Cash or money order only.
 Tongue
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 04:52:40 PM »

I have written a 1 page article that will allow you to learn morse code at 25 wpm in less than an hour, regularly $400 but only $299 for the next 30 days.

Be on of the 1st 100 buyers and receive how to build a 1/2 wave dipole for free.

Sorry, due to limited supplies no refunds or returns.

Cash or money order only.
 Tongue

I have secret information on where to obtain Linux software for just a $599 fee...

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 06:50:56 AM »

... And now for something completely different...

Morse code shoes send toe tapping texts at MWC 2018 (2.2 Min VIDEO)
A pair of smart shoes has been created to let industrial workers keep in touch via toe-typed coded messages.

The footwear was inspired by Morse code, but made possible by the latest communication technologies.

BBC technology correspondent Rory Cellan-Jones meets the firm responsible at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-43205947/morse-code-shoes-send-toe-tapping-texts-at-mwc-2018

73 de WA2ONH  <dit dit> ... Charlie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Never be satisfied with what you know, only with what more you can find out"
Dr David Fairchild 1869-1954 US Scientist
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: