The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4B4B - REVILLAGIGEDO  (Read 13346 times)
KB8GAE

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2018, 01:08:49 PM »

Why is it 31st most wanted entity on Clublog following 4A4A, XF4DL, and XF4IH?

Clublog’s complete expedition list shows XF4L 16k qso’s in 1989 and XF4DL 68K qso’s in 2006.

4A4A isn’t on Clublog but the Megadxpeditions site shows 73k qso’s in 2011.

I could not find any numbers for XF4IH.

Other than 4B4B my only other qso with Revillagigedo was XF4M on 30 meter CW in 1994.  I don’t know how many qso’s they worked.

Rich KB8GAE
KD0PO

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2018, 02:56:38 PM »

XF4DX in feb 1987 is where I worked all of my non-WARC Q's.

4B4B gave me 17 for a new one.
12, 30 would be awesome, but I don't think he's doing CW??

Ray
WA2VUY

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2018, 04:16:02 PM »

His qrz page indicates SSB only.

XF4DX in feb 1987 is where I worked all of my non-WARC Q's.

4B4B gave me 17 for a new one.
12, 30 would be awesome, but I don't think he's doing CW??

Ray
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2018, 12:27:26 PM »

4B4B log on Clublog (not as DXpedition but under "log search") with OQRS link:  https://clublog.org/logsearch/4B4B

KJ4Z

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2018, 12:30:46 PM »

$10 for a QSL.  Wow.
VU2CDP

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2018, 12:36:04 PM »

4A4A (2011) wkd a lot of NA and EU.
4B4B (2018) worked almost exclusively NA.
4C4C (2025) will work Asia?   Smiley

Deepak VU2CDP
VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2018, 01:36:48 PM »

I think his signal wasn't getting anywhere past North America, and even here in NA his signal wasn't strong. Can anyone from EU tell us how his signal was in Europe? Was he at all readable in Europe? I was listening to 4B4B on 20m one day and it was really strange. He kept calling CQ, occasionally an NA station would call and 4B4B would answer and a QSO was made. However, beside an occasional NA caller, there were many more EU callers calling. Few NA callers and many many more EU callers. 4B4B very seldom made a EU QSO, he didn't hear them. How could they hear him? Were all of those Europeans listening on some online RX located in the US and transmitting with their own stations in EU?

Marvin VE3VEE
N0UN

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2018, 01:59:54 PM »

$10 for a QSL.  Wow.

This is the future of "confirmations" me thinks.

Pay to play.

Personally, I have no issue with the "pay to play" model - at all.  In fact, I like it better than say sending $50, $100, $250 to a DXpedition and getting nothing in return because they cancel or abandon because of weather, tsunami, act of God, etc.

I think the days of begging foundations for up front money is coming to an end.  Applications, groveling, kissing arse, for what?  A $300 radio club donation?

Pay to play.  It's on the way.  It's here to stay.

N0UN

KJ4Z

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2018, 02:04:00 PM »

Pay to play.  It's on the way.  It's here to stay.

It is something of a violation of traditional norms, which is why I was initially taken aback.  The price is about double the maximum going rate.  But I actually agree, if this is what it takes to keep the DXpeditions happening, then so be it.
N0UN

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2018, 02:08:29 PM »

I think his signal wasn't getting anywhere past North America, and even here in NA his signal wasn't strong. Can anyone from EU tell us how his signal was in Europe? Was he at all readable in Europe? I was listening to 4B4B on 20m one day and it was really strange. He kept calling CQ, occasionally an NA station would call and 4B4B would answer and a QSO was made. However, beside an occasional NA caller, there were many more EU callers calling. Few NA callers and many many more EU callers. 4B4B very seldom made a EU QSO, he didn't hear them. How could they hear him? Were all of those Europeans listening on some online RX located in the US and transmitting with their own stations in EU?

Marvin VE3VEE

Surely it's done the other way too.  I hear well here, but when I can't even sniff a station because the EU stations are using NA remote listening receivers, and the NA stations are using EU remote receivers - you know what's happening, lol.  The internet delay gives them away.

I hear guys on 40 Meters doing just that every morning.  They listen for their longpath signals on EU Internet receivers, than call CQ DX EU.  It's disgusting in my opinion.  I filter all their spots - can't stand it.

N0UN

N0UN

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2018, 02:14:16 PM »

Pay to play.  It's on the way.  It's here to stay.

It is something of a violation of traditional norms, which is why I was initially taken aback.  The price is about double the maximum going rate.  But I actually agree, if this is what it takes to keep the DXpeditions happening, then so be it.

Look at the newest DXCC Entity Kosovo (Z6).  100K QSO's.

$20 LoTW quick confirmation.  Justified "to further the Kosovo club station".

Even if just 2,500 folks paid the $20 - that's 50K.

Shocked

N0UN

VE3VEE

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »

The internet delay gives them away.

Wayne,

Yes, exactly. 4B4B actually did answer some of them, but their response was a couple of seconds delayed so while 4B4B was calling them the second time, they were finally answering him for the first time. He didn't hear their reply so he continued calling his CQ.

Marvin VE3VEE
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2018, 02:47:47 PM »

Pay to play my AXX!.... Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue....I have another name for it....EXTORTION!.....Glad I have this one confirmed already ..not even going to bother with the card as a result....is it going to be the same extortion for a LOTW confirmation?....sorry, you guys with money to burn on stupidity, but when it starts getting this bad, that's when qsling ends for me...ATNO or not....I am not in the business of financing other people's mega stations and excursions round that world.....when do we apply common sense and say enough is enough?!..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked......and on top of it all, having to fight out of control pile ups and lidism to even get to that point?Huh....and pay more money beyond regular postage for this insanity?Huh....are you kidding me???.....Pay to play???.....there ought to be a jail sentence for this crap!.....

V
K3NRX
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 02:53:03 PM by K3NRX » Logged
KJ4Z

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2018, 02:53:06 PM »

I am not in the business of financing other people's mega stations and excursions round that world.....when do we apply common sense and say enough is enough?!

If we were really going to apply common sense and say "enough is enough," mega DXpeditions would have ended about 20 years ago.  $10 is a fart in a windstorm compared to $750,000 or whatever 3Y0Z was.  The escalating prices are a predictable outcome of the macro environment and our insistence on maintaining an unmodified DXCC list.  Not that I am advocating changing the list, necessarily, just that we will have to pay for the operations somehow, or accept that they will not happen.
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2018, 03:04:26 PM »

I am not in the business of financing other people's mega stations and excursions round that world.....when do we apply common sense and say enough is enough?!

If we were really going to apply common sense and say "enough is enough," mega DXpeditions would have ended about 20 years ago.  $10 is a fart in a windstorm compared to $750,000 or whatever 3Y0Z was.  The escalating prices are a predictable outcome of the macro environment and our insistence on maintaining an unmodified DXCC list.  Not that I am advocating changing the list, necessarily, just that we will have to pay for the operations somehow, or accept that they will not happen.

If that's the case, then, as I can't speak for anyone else....some of us just won't give a damn anymore.....as spending money on food, shelter and general life is more important than this stupidity..... Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.....I often thought my gym membership/exercise as the only thing in life were I would say "I can't believe I spend money on this"....I NEVER thought that a QSL card from working DX, after fighting through the insanity, would ever fall into that category.....

V
K3NRX
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: