The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ebay sellers : REALLY!!!???  (Read 13248 times)
KB2E

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2018, 10:38:16 AM »

I guess this is the place to vent and to suggest that perhaps we should start to call out the people who try to prey on those new to our hobby. On the subject of radios and linears on eBay I expect to find 24k gold in some of the chassis! SB200 non-working for $600.00 Buy it Now! Palomar stuff for 600-700 with 20 bids! SB220 for 1500 with 18 bids! Other assorted junk amps for big bucks. Swan 350 non-working for 300! TS830S with a wonderful description for 900 with 7 bids (nice radio but not 900)! I can't believe that any ham who has been around more than a couple years would buy into any of this. Advice for the young and new hams: Check here and other places before you get into that GREAT DEAL on eBay. Most everything on eBay concerning ham radio is WAYYYYYYYYYY over priced. Wait for a hamfest in your area/ Face to face people don't tend to over price since they don't want to hear the remarks made by passers by or be called out directly on their ridiculous price. A guy I was with picked up an SB200 for 300 because the guy said the transformer was bad. They're selling for 3 times that on eBay not working! Turned out (as we suspected) a filter cap was shorted. Replaced with one from the junk box and he had a working 220. All were then replaced along with a few other component upgrades and he had a 220 for about 450 (a little less than what it's really worth). Also, the latest scam on eBay is to not accept returns due to swappers. This makes me laugh. Think about it. You buy an item, take out the stuff you need, insert your old parts and then sell it saying "due to the age and swappers I don't take returns". When you are the swapper! I'm sorry, I just can't believe that any experienced ham would get caught up in the moment and bid a "not sure if it's working, can't test it" Dentron GLA1000B up to $600.00 with $100.00 shipping! My God the buyer could have bought an Ameritron 811H for 200 more or an 811 for 89 more SHIPPPED! Sorry, I just have a hard time believing that new hams are not getting screwed by these guys and it kills me to think so. New guys - You can buy a 600 watt amp for under 800, NEW! You can buy an 800 watt amp for under a grand NEW! You can buy a IC-7300 or FT-991A for well under 1500, NEW! You can also buy a TS-940SA for 500, a TS-830S for 300 and any number of other transceivers for under $400.00 on craigslist or other places like local radio clubs, hamfests etc. That's what this stuff is worth and we as a group should let people know any chance we get what this stuff is worth and drive these scammer off eBay. Sorry........just feel the need to vent about this.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 10:49:57 AM »

Can't say that I've ever looked for gear on an auction site.

If one lacks the sense to compare used prices to new (with warranty), they're most likely to need guidance in multiple areas.
KB2E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 11:40:16 AM »

True. I just hate to see this happen to new people in the hobby. That's who seems to be hurt by this stuff. On top of that many of the seller clearly state they know nothing about the equipment, can't test it and they just turned it on to see if the lights went on and the tubes lit up. Shoot me an SB-220 that won't turn on and I have 150 bucks for ya. If the 3-500's are bad you just bought a pile of junk for 150. Damned if I'd pay 7 or 8 hundred!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:44:51 AM by WA2GSL » Logged
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 02:32:45 PM »

I guess this is the place to vent and to suggest that perhaps we should start to call out the people who try to prey on those new to our hobby. On the subject of radios and linears on eBay I expect to find 24k gold in some of the chassis! SB200 non-working for $600.00 Buy it Now! Palomar stuff for 600-700 with 20 bids! SB220 for 1500 with 18 bids! Other assorted junk amps for big bucks. Swan 350 non-working for 300! TS830S with a wonderful description for 900 with 7 bids (nice radio but not 900)! I can't believe that any ham who has been around more than a couple years would buy into any of this. Advice for the young and new hams: Check here and other places before you get into that GREAT DEAL on eBay. Most everything on eBay concerning ham radio is WAYYYYYYYYYY over priced. Wait for a hamfest in your area/ Face to face people don't tend to over price since they don't want to hear the remarks made by passers by or be called out directly on their ridiculous price. A guy I was with picked up an SB200 for 300 because the guy said the transformer was bad. They're selling for 3 times that on eBay not working! Turned out (as we suspected) a filter cap was shorted. Replaced with one from the junk box and he had a working 220. All were then replaced along with a few other component upgrades and he had a 220 for about 450 (a little less than what it's really worth). Also, the latest scam on eBay is to not accept returns due to swappers. This makes me laugh. Think about it. You buy an item, take out the stuff you need, insert your old parts and then sell it saying "due to the age and swappers I don't take returns". When you are the swapper! I'm sorry, I just can't believe that any experienced ham would get caught up in the moment and bid a "not sure if it's working, can't test it" Dentron GLA1000B up to $600.00 with $100.00 shipping! My God the buyer could have bought an Ameritron 811H for 200 more or an 811 for 89 more SHIPPPED! Sorry, I just have a hard time believing that new hams are not getting screwed by these guys and it kills me to think so. New guys - You can buy a 600 watt amp for under 800, NEW! You can buy an 800 watt amp for under a grand NEW! You can buy a IC-7300 or FT-991A for well under 1500, NEW! You can also buy a TS-940SA for 500, a TS-830S for 300 and any number of other transceivers for under $400.00 on craigslist or other places like local radio clubs, hamfests etc. That's what this stuff is worth and we as a group should let people know any chance we get what this stuff is worth and drive these scammer off eBay. Sorry........just feel the need to vent about this.

Paragraphs!!!!!

If you must vent, use the <ENTER> key every now and then!  Wink
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 06:23:03 PM »

The real problem is the people who do not do their homework. It is so easy to look up prices now. Besides, it is up to any individual what they are willing to pay. If they are willing to over pay, who are we to say they can't?

Some people want things more then others. So they pony up and get it. The simple fact is the seller makes money, the buyer gets what he/she wants. Why should it matter what someone pays to someone who is not the buyer or seller?

A note of caution...this comment is geared to legitimate buyers and sellers only. Not a "what if" directed comment.

73, Stan
Wisdom is knowledge you gain after you know it all.
K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 06:41:30 PM »

The key is to look at "sold" items, not what the items list for. Most of the $1500 + $100 shipping IC-7300's don't sell.

Sellers can list things for whatever they wish, price wise. It's what they sell for that counts.
KM1H

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 06:48:29 PM »

Life can be very simple if you are smart enough to exercise Caveat Emptor with any purchase, just not ham stuff.

Carl
VE3WGO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 06:52:21 PM »

It works both ways.  My neighbor sold a couple of his old boomboxes last year on Ebay auctions.  One went for just over $200, and a collector's item sold for $750.  He was astounded, even more so since he is a member of several vintage stereo forums where apparently the typical selling prices for every model in any condition are generally known.  

I guess people get caught up in bidding wars and sometimes they just can't let something get away.

NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 01:38:34 PM »

I think for most purchases of Amateur Radio gear,it isn't. necessary to deal with Ebay. Especially amplifiers. Buying through a dealer or a private local seller is much better. That of course is when it's possible to do that. I've been buying old transistor radios on Ebay for awhile now. Most sellers are reputable, but then there's always that one radio that's been listed for months and won't sell because it's :too expensive, it's junk,the seller won't answer any questions, has a bad reputation, etc. These are the ones to avoid. Also bad descriptions,like "  It's an AM radio." Well I didn't think it was a toaster.     Wink
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:41:56 PM by NO2A » Logged
N8YX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 01:42:13 PM »

Life can be very simple if you are smart enough to exercise Caveat Emptor with any purchase, just not ham stuff.

Carl
Apparently, this concept is lost on many.
NE1U

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 02:12:31 PM »

I learned decades ago, at a club hamfest maybe not too ironically, to know something about what you are buying. I saw on ebay at least 15 years ago a do-it-all tv/sound/dvd player etc. controller get bid up over what I could buy new from one of those NYC stores. People can be brainless, lets face it. Of course I bought the new one from the NYC store.

One issue that does get my attention are the web sites that protect the seller's asking price. If you do comment, your post is deleted and you are threatened with being banned. I really disagree with this. I see nothing wrong with smacking people up the side of the virtual head about over priced stuff. On the other hand, people can be brainless and it is a free country.

I have bought from ebay, buya (helava buy on a Simpson 270 that I needed like I need a hole in my head), eham, & qrz. Knock on wood, but that lesson back when I was still wet behind the ears was helpful. I also don't go to hamfests unless the retro in me says "you must have an analog meter (one of those round metal case v square plastic)". Now I prefer electronic anyway.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 02:35:58 PM »

The best deals for me were always the BUY IT NOW deals.

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
KG4CGC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 03:02:27 PM »

Every 3 to 4 years a new round of preppers gear up and drive up the market. It's not unusual anymore.
The most notable spike was early post 9/11. The rise was steep.
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 05:11:57 PM »

Here is  nice one on Craig's lust and after being posted on  ePay....  Ends tonight! 03/04/2018... so I guess that's why the deal is on Craigs leest

""

Ameritron AL-811H HF Linear Amplifier Wired 110v - $800

Virtually new, has 2 and a half hours total talk time. The only scratches I see is on the top from previous owner. Looks brand new inside and out. Currently wired 110v, and I will provide the 220v plug. This has been modified for 10 meter. Mechanically, this amp is 100% and 99% Cosmetically.

(4) 811A TUBES

I have not had this amplifier at full output, due to my 400w max antenna Sad

I know how much these are brand new with shipping.. if you think its too pricey, tough. Go j*w someone else out of their amp for mere pennies. If you want to make a reasonable offer, that'll work too Cheesy

""

So naturally, What is the price of a new one, with the factory warranty??  

https://www.gigaparts.com/ameritron-al-811.html

Ameritron AL-811

-- Factory Warranty --    

$759.00

Free Shipping!  
                                                      ""

Here is the  epay listing.....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152928121363

Notice anything different?

That Caveat guy is smart,

klc

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 05:18:50 PM by KB2WIG » Logged

EXTRALight  1/3 less WPM than a Real EXTRA
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 06:01:11 PM »

My guess is that most of these devices work on 11 meters....

Thanks,
Dave
Amateur Radio: RFI help, Reviews, Setup information, and more...
https://www.nk7z.net
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: